Hornby 2022 - Trains on Film

AY Mod

3 hours ago, Vistisen said:

The real reason for regional restrictions on DVDs was that films were released in regions as there were not enough prints made for worldwide releases. So by restricting the sale of discs to areas where the cinema releases had been and gone. The film distributors could maximise their profits. The rise of digital projectors removed the need for staggering releases at about the same time as increasing internet bandwidth made it possible for consumer s to download digital copies, legal or otherwise.

>SNIPPED

Sort of :offtopic:

Unfortunately, DVDs are still mainly Region Encoded!

This is very noticeable as some DVDs are available on Region 1, but not other Regions.

A very irritated potential DVD purchaser…

Come on, give me the DVDs, and take my money! :scratchhead:

Its not as if the same content isn’t available from unofficial sources, but on the internet.

We want to complete our physical DVD in box collection! :(

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Can't afford the space...

The upshot of this thread is that I bought the Titfield Thunderbolt on Amazon Video.

• Like 4

Sort of :offtopic:

Unfortunately, DVDs are still mainly Region Encoded!

This is very noticeable as some DVDs are available on Region 1, but not other Regions.

A very irritated potential DVD purchaser…

Come on, give me the DVDs, and take my money! :scratchhead:

Its not as if the same content isn’t available from unofficial sources, but on the internet.

Blu-ray now Granddad! 

C6T. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Indeed. I think I downloaded the latest Bond within hours of it being released to streaming services.

Edited by colin smith
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Can't afford the space...

The upshot of this thread is that I bought the [license to play] Titfield Thunderbolt on Amazon Video [until Jeff decides he's taking it off].

FTFY, you're welcome. 

We own nothing in a subs based digital product future folks.

C6T. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, colin smith said:

Indeed. I think I downloaded the latest Bond within hours of it being released to streaming services.

Of course it goes on, I'm not ignorant of that, but it's not something I would be proud of doing or telling people. I watched it, legitimately, when it was on bona fide streaming services but it didn't cost me a penny, just a few minutes over the previous few months.

• Like 3

Just now, AY Mod said:

Of course it goes on, I'm not ignorant of that, but it's not something I would be proud of doing or telling people. I watched it, legitimately, when it was on bona fide streaming services but it didn't cost me a penny, just a few minutes over the previous few months.

I wouldn't say I was proud of doing it, though I take some pride that at nearly 61 I am sufficiently savvy to do it. 

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

FTFY, you're welcome. 

I've got an huge stack of DVDs cluttering the back of the garage and I decided to stop buying physical magazines when I took several stacked feet of them down the tip.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, colin smith said:

I take some pride that at nearly 61 I am sufficiently savvy to do it. 

I'll give you that one! If you can turn your back on this life of crime and channel it into something beneficial to society you may be alright when you get to the pearly gates. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

48 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

What!  You mean I'll have to hire my underpants and they'll not even be real?

Glad my prostrate was recently given the OK.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Classsix T said:

FTFY, you're welcome. 

C6T. 

that has some upsides..

Can I subscribe to a model railway company and use any of their models I want on demand, send them back when i’m done ?

I’d pay £20 a month for that. :D

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

What happened to the nameplates after filming ?

interesting font used.

They were probably made using house name letters sourced from a hardware store in Ealing ;), and like many film props binned after fiming...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

What happened to the nameplates after filming ?

interesting font used.

Looking very closely at an enlarged image they are painted onto a piece of board so were no doubt made in the Ealing Art & PropsDept; that they are painted is even more obvious in the contemporaneous colour photo of her posing on the engine  .  Very skilfully done to help give the impression of separate letters and it could well be that the nameplate used for the still photos of her might not have been the one used in the film but was knocked up for the photo session with Gabrielle Brune.

Apart from posing as a 40 year old 'pin up girl' she was, I think, the longest lived of all the stars in the film having attained the grand old age of 92 by the time she died in 2005.

• Informative/Useful 3

Unlike today's simultaneous worldwide movie releases,  in the days when DVD's were popular,  a movie would be scheduled for release in say the United States perhaps six months ahead of a southern hemisphere theatre release.  Thus if DVD's were not region encoded then one could simply obtain a copy of a northern hemisphere movie release on DVD perhaps months before a movie might be released in a theatre downunder.  Of cause the cynic in me gets back to how much a consumer is willing to pay for a DVD with US retail prices at the time far lower than the same item in say Australia.

I do not know if still the case but Apple were charging many times the cost of a song or album release download for Australian customers than the same release in America.  CD's were similarly priced lower in the States than in Australia.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think I have now spent more time reading this thread and its Rapido twin than I have spent watching the film – all very entertaining.

As to the legality or morality of the situation, I won’t go there – it’s a bit like picking the England football team; every bloke down the pub will have an opinion, but no one is really going to take any notice, Gareth Southgate will decide as he is paid to do it.

What I do believe though is that an avoidable and probably unprofitable duplication is unlikely to see any winners. My interest is in 1930’s GWR and this year there is not a thing on my Hornby shopping list. If their resources had not been put into this film inspired pack or generic coaches etc. just maybe they would have produced something that I would have bought.

To be fair, the Loriot falls into my sphere of interests but as I already have the Rapido one on pre-order I’ll stay with it, it feels the right thing to do somehow.

Hornby as a business do need to be aware of what the competition is doing, but surely there would be more to be gained by producing complementary rather than competing products? The Acurascale Siphon G is a “must have” for me, no doubt it will spark some general interest in milk and parcels traffic and if Hornby had announced an updated Siphon H or something to fit in with a rake I sure people would be happy to buy product from both manufacturers in which case everyone wins.

I’m not against competition, I building myself up to choosing between two Manor class locomotive that will be arriving from different manufacturers. Perhaps I may buy one of each but I’m not sure that I need two – a Manor and a Saint would definitely have resulted in two sales.

Whatever the rights or wrongs I hope that the two Titfield offers don’t cause too much damage commercially to the manufacturers, hopefully they will both be around next year to sell me something I want.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Star-rider said:

What I do believe though is that an avoidable and probably unprofitable duplication is unlikely to see any winners. My interest is in 1930’s GWR and this year there is not a thing on my Hornby shopping list. If their resources had not been put into this film inspired pack or generic coaches etc. just maybe they would have produced something that I would have bought.

To be fair, the Loriot falls into my sphere of interests but as I already have the Rapido one on pre-order I’ll stay with it, it feels the right thing to do somehow.

Hornby as a business do need to be aware of what the competition is doing, but surely there would be more to be gained by producing complementary rather than competing products? 

I’m not against competition, I building myself up to choosing between two Manor class locomotive that will be arriving from different manufacturers. Perhaps I may buy one of each but I’m not sure that I need two – a Manor and a Saint would definitely have resulted in two sales.

Whatever the rights or wrongs I hope that the two Titfield offers don’t cause too much damage commercially to the manufacturers, hopefully they will both be around next year to sell me something I want.

If I was Hornby I'd look at producing a 14XX tank locomotive and a GWR cattle wagon, two items conspicuously absent from Rapido's offering.  In addition through their association with Oxford Diecast the bullnose Morris Oxford roadster (Squires car), a steam roller and a few other vehicles that feature in the film. Oxford a few years ago produced a 'Inspector Morse' Jaguar that wasn't marketed as such but bore the registration of the actual car used in the series without any objections.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

If I was Hornby I'd look at producing a 14XX tank locomotive and a GWR cattle wagon, two items conspicuously absent from Rapido's offering.  In addition through their association with Oxford Diecast the bullnose Morris Oxford roadster (Squires car), a steam roller and a few other vehicles that feature in the film. Oxford a few years ago produced a 'Inspector Morse' Jaguar that wasn't marketed as such but bore the registration of the actual car used in the series without any objections.

IIRC OD have produced a number of vehicles that you could say have been, hmmmm, let me think of a suitable phrase.... umm, I've got it "inspired by" (hope that phrase is not copywrited elsewhere).

Vivians Ford Anglia

Mr Beans Mini

MkIII Cortina from Life on Mars

Bodies (or was it Doyles) mkII Capri

There may of course be others...............

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SamThomas said:

IIRC OD have produced a number of vehicles that you could say have been, hmmmm, let me think of a suitable phrase.... umm, I've got it "inspired by" (hope that phrase is not copywrited elsewhere).

Vivians Ford Anglia

Mr Beans Mini

MkIII Cortina from Life on Mars

Bodies (or was it Doyles) mkII Capri

There may of course be others...............

A lot of cars in the seventies programs were supplied by the manufacturer, Fords in particular. OD has a licence from Fords and other manufacturers to produce models of their cars and vans so they are probably covered by those licences.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A lot of cars in the seventies programs were supplied by the manufacturer, Fords in particular. 

Ford were good at that. BMC/BL were hopeless. The best BMC would do for the Italian Job was sell them some Minis at trade rates while Alfa Romeo were offering free cars. 

BL's approach was the reason the Sweeny et al drove Fords.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

56 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Ford were good at that. BMC/BL were hopeless. The best BMC would do for the Italian Job was sell them some Minis at trade rates while Alfa Romeo were offering free cars. 

BL's approach was the reason the Sweeny et al drove Fords.

Similar story in The Professionals. The show's producers got fed up with British Leyland sending them a different coloured car, a Triumph Dolomite for Bodie, for each block of filming they did. As a result of this poor continuity, the producers got in contact with Ford who gave them the same Capri for as long as they needed it.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1