Hornby 2022 - Trains on Film

AY Mod

2 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

might be late to the party but Hornby are no longer listing the 'Trains on Film's packs anywhere on their site

Interestingly that rather gash 4F linked to the new film and with character imagery on the 'proposed' box is still up. I wonder if there lies our next victim...Just how peeved might SC be? Given the old Airfix tooling I think there may be genuine grounds to say the dissimilarities are significant enough to get away with that one...:D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I'd like to think Hornby executives have suffered an attack of intelligence and ethics, but, were I a betting man, I'd say that lawyers' letters on the subject of IP infringement are the cause of Error Code: 404

Thanks to those who pointed out this development. It took me back to the days of Tony Blair: Error Code 404: These Weapons of Mass Destruction have not been found

Here is the page in Glorious Technicolor.  Oops indeed!

404.png.246fb534008a73c5a5305caf9cdb0cce.png

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Edge said:

As an aside, that’s a damn shame - lady with the lamp pack was under consideration for a future purchase of mine. 

Kind of miffed that’s not about any more

But that's perfectly doable with the Hornby 1930 reproduction carriages and the Rapido Lion. You'll just have to buy them separately.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

49 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But that's perfectly doable with the Hornby 1930 reproduction carriages and the Rapido Lion. You'll just have to buy them separately.

I sincerely doubt that Hornby will have invested this much in Lion without actually issuing the model. The same with the GWR wagon that the house rests on. 

But I expect that they will be issued as what they are, rather than their fictional identities :) 

Edited by Edge
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

How much is "this much"? Do you know?

One would assume that having promised the sets that they were in a position to expect to deliver them. That would indicate that some level of money has been spent on it. That and the public commitment to do Lion adds up to a reasonable basis to continue production 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Edge said:

I sincerely doubt that Hornby will have invested this much in Lion without actually issuing the model. The same with the GWR wagon that the house rests on. 

But I expect that they will be issued as what they are, rather than their fictional identities :) 

I haven't seen anything other than artwork, tweets and marketing, despite a years worth of fog horning about Lion… indeed they didn't even put “Lion”, as is, in this years range, despite that first infamous tweet saying they were going to do it.

As I said before, but was drowned out by those who know better, but  I still think theres been an element of  “bluff” in “this”… of course nothing has actually been said that “this” is all over, either.. just a dead link without any confirmation.

I’ll believe a Hornby “Lion” when I see it, and if I do see it, I will think there mad to do it… but nothing confirms this saga is over yet either.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Hornby seems to have done better with their 'generic' coaches. Some versions have sold out already. It appears that Hornby had something in the pipeline when Hatton's announced their generic coaches and Hornby pushed theirs forward.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I haven't seen anything other than artwork, tweets and marketing, despite a years worth of fog horning about Lion… indeed they didn't even put “Lion”, as is, in this years range, despite that first infamous tweet saying they were going to do it.

As I said before, but was drowned out by those who know better, but  I still think theres been an element of  “bluff” in “this”… of course nothing has actually been said that “this” is all over, either.. just a dead link without any confirmation.

I’ll believe a Hornby “Lion” when I see it, and if I do I will think there mad to do it… but nothing confirms this saga is over yet either.

At the bare minimums, a lot of time and effort has been put into this project: the only way to see any returns is to make the model. 

We will see, I don’t claim any special knowledge beyond interpretation of available info

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Edge said:

At the bare minimums, a lot of time and effort has been put into this project: the only way to see any returns is to make the model. 

We will see, I don’t claim any special knowledge beyond interpretation of available info

There seems to be very little time and effort put into this, just drawings of the proposed models. More likely they had a 'wait and see' policy and that led to the project being dropped.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

There seems to be very little time and effort put into this, just drawings of the proposed models. More likely they had a 'wait and see' policy and that led to the project being dropped.

Just smart graphics.

Just like the announcement of the 'under-development' Terrier

Smoke and mirrors

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ahh that seems to be it then . All references seem to be being deleted . Im waiting for my catalogue to spontaneously combust. 

Someone got this badly wrong .  I wonder if they will continue with Lion or will it too just disappear . I think the only reference to it was in these Film products . 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that the 'Trains on film' sets had been planned several months before any announcement. Key to the series was the Titfield Thunderbolt. Any other film feature trains, such as 'The lady with the lamp' would be riding on the back of TTT. But without TTT it would not be viable.

2 minutes ago, Legend said:

Ahh that seems to be it then . All references seem to be being deleted . Im waiting for my catalogue to spontaneously combust. 

Someone got this badly wrong .  I wonder if they will continue with Lion or will it too just disappear . I think the only reference to it was in these Film products . 

Don't forget they also announced some early Victorian goods wagons. Are they still in the on-line catalogue?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Maybe Hornby should focus more on retooling some of it's older yet popular models, they would have made a far better investment in bringing out a proper scale model of the 2721 Pannier Tank and revised versions of the Clerestory C15 and D25 with proper panelled sides as they would sell like hotcakes, rather than go on this misguided folly to try and push "the new kid on the block" out of town.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

On a day of relatively small numbers of shares being traded their share price dropped by 1p yesterday.  It's probably part of the usual yo-yoing share price, with some profit taking, in the weeks following their annual announcement but it has gone up & down a bit recently on relatively small trades.

Now here's a different entertainment for anyone who is so inclined or is fed up with The Everyday Tale of Titifield Folk.   As is required by company law readily available on the Hornby website is the price the various Hornby Directors paid for their shares in the company and how many shares they hold.  So you can work out how much their theoretical gains (or losses) are - I think they're all gains as the price currently stands - at any point in time as the current share price is also shown on the Hornby site.  The incentive scheme for additional share purchase is also worth a read.

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Edge said:

That's somebody's Law or Fallacy, isn't it? "We've got this far so we must go on."

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Edge said:

Maybe they could try their luck for a 75th Anniversary set instead :lol:.

Edited by David Stannard
  • Funny 4