Hornby 2022 - Trains on Film

AY Mod

(To tell you the truth, I think Mr. Spencer's cosplay future lies in "being" Christopher Lee off of the prequel Star Wars films. Count Dooku was my initial reaction before zooming the pic to see it wasn't a light sabre!)

download.jpeg.fc48fe28b5fe7d984f469038eb225ec7.jpeg

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just an idle thought  (very idle) If a c&d letter is served on Hornby and it becomes public knowledge would this thread have to be pulped? :jester:

Meanwhile in other Hornby news Phoenix have now extended their secured credit facility of £9million until 31 December 2023 which means it will also partially cover the value of the end of the £12 million PNC Loan facility during 2023.

• Informative/Useful 4

On 27/01/2022 at 00:20, drt7uk said:

Airfix released this once as a kit but the problem was as soon as you'd finished painting it you had to start repainting it again... I'll get my coat.

The good news is that the post 2011 version of the "kit" only needs painted once every 25 years!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14789036

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Breaking news......

Having been initially told by the Metropolitan Police that their 2022 catalogue could be published with only minor alterations, Cressida Dick has now released a further statement requesting that Hornby only release a catalogue if it made only "minimal reference" to any product copied from another manufacturer.

The new 2-page Hornby catalogue is eagerly awaited. 

Are you suggesting theyve been having parties in Margate ?

I watched the TV program very carefully, and only saw copious amounts of haribos, and above average number of kettles (of the tea making variety). Though a guy wearing a reindeer sweater appeared in one episode, I think it was definitely a meeting, as he had a vep and a cep on his desk.

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
On 29/01/2022 at 18:11, Edwardian said:

Breaking news......

Having been initially told by the Metropolitan Police that their 2022 catalogue could be published with only minor alterations, Cressida Dick has now released a further statement requesting that Hornby only release a catalogue if it made only "minimal reference" to any product copied from another manufacturer.

The new 2-page Hornby catalogue is eagerly awaited. 

I think you should wait until the outcome of the..........

• Funny 4

Further to my earlier post regarding the ferocity of some companies to protect their IP, because there is an R in the month, Nintendo does what Nintendo does:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-30-nintendo-has-filed-another-1300-copyright-rights-against-a-music-sharing-youtube-channel

Now, I'm not necessarily against this - the YouTuber may well not be making money directly - however, YouTube is a monetised broadcast media so y'know, probably why Hornby have steered clear of Mario/Pokémon "inspired" train sets?

C6T. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Anybody know the release date for the "Inspired by Barnum & Bailey" trainset.

This must be Charlton Heston's dressing room.

https://museum.wales/collections/online/object/204b2fc3-75d4-3d7a-b5a6-c46d9b65ab0b/Barnum--Bailey-Coaches-negative/?field0=string&value0=railway%2C negative&field1=with_images&value1=1&field2=category&value2=rail&page=37&view=grid&index=432

Wasn't it P.T. Barnum that was credited with the quote, "there's no such thing as bad publicity"?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Wasn't it P.T. Barnum that was credited with the quote, "there's no such thing as bad publicity"?

Not the experience of Gerald Ratner.

I am not saying that this is Hornby's Ratner moment but I doubt it is doing their reputation a great deal of good.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Not the experience of Gerald Ratner.

I am not saying that this is Hornby's Ratner moment but I doubt it is doing their reputation a great deal of good.

But lest we not forget we (who are on RMweb) are but a part of their market and there are no doubt plenty of Hornby afficionados who have never heard of Rapido.  However no doubt equally a goodly chunk of them have probably never heard of The Titfield Thunderbolt either but they could get quite a shock if the started cruising the web looking for further information and come across either or  both Rapido and RMweb.

On here I agree with you - Hornby yet again have done themselves no good.   And even worse have amazingly succeeded in diverting a lot of attention from their several otherwise 'flagship' announcements for the 2022 catalogue - and that latter point must in itself be something of a Ratner moment:blink:

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 22/01/2022 at 08:32, Vistisen said:

The real reason for regional restrictions on DVDs was that films were released in regions as there were not enough prints made for worldwide releases. So by restricting the sale of discs to areas where the cinema releases had been and gone. The film distributors could maximise their profits.

Nope.

Regional restrictions on digital media - whether physical form like DVD/Blu-ray or online - are all to due with who owns the rights and their ability to protect their rights.

Easy to ignore if you only look at most big Hollywood releases, which tend to only have 1 rights holder, but for a lot of stuff there will be multiple different rights holders around the world.

For movies smaller productions will, to raise money, sell the rights to various companies around the world - Australia will have company A, North America company B, Asia company C, Europe company D, etc.  And they all want the ability to recoup their investment by forcing the part of the world they serve to buy their digital product and not one of the other digital products.

A classic example of this for a big Hollywood movie is James Cameron's Titanic.  He has a production deal with 20th Century Fox, and Fox bankrolled Titanic.  But Fox got concerned as the cost went up and wanted to limit their exposure (a bad decision for them in the end, but likely right at the time).  So they sold the North American rights for Titanic to Paramount.

So Paramount releases Region 1 products, and thus gets the revenue for their the region they paid the rights for.  Fox sells products to all other Regions, and gets their revenue - and to Fox's benefit most people in the Fox regions can't buy the Paramount product and vice/versa.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

19 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

On here I agree with you - Hornby yet again have done themselves no good.   And even worse have amazingly succeeded in diverting a lot of attention from their several otherwise 'flagship' announcements for the 2022 catalogue - and that latter point must in itself be something of a Ratner moment:blink:

Indeed. When not trying to be too clever for its own good - releasing deliberate spoiler products, knock-off products, rushed and hasty products, Oxford products - Hornby has produced, and continues to produce, some superb products that are second to none and that should be justly celebrated.  Nothing like the ''total crap'' Ratner described.  Indeed the best of Hornby's output would be enough to make one proud to be British, if it weren't all made in China. Oh, and for the too often patchy quality control that can be-devil such out-sourced manufacturing.

I'm fortunate that Hornby's premium output remains firmly in the late-Grouping and BR eras, otherwise I'd be bankrupt trying to buy it all! To be fair, I'd also be torn, because Hornby's unethical antics do turn me off from giving them custom and there were certainly things I had decided to buy that, in the end, I didn't have the heart to; the behaviour of Hornby really did kill my enthusiasm for purchases. As I say, I have not boycotted or eschewed Hornby as a matter of policy, but when I held back from certain purchases, I did feel cleaner.

As an aside, apart from two or three minor manufacturers/commissioners each producing one or two products, the majority of pre-Grouping prototypes released or announced in recent years have come from a single source; Rails of Sheffield as a commissioner. As a pre-Grouping modeller, I find that Rails commands almost all my purchasing power these days (Terrier (x4), D Class, Autocar, Precedent, Caley Jumbo and sole-distributed products, the Robinson A5 and the Kerr Stuart Victory.  Indeed, I think TMC's G5 is about the only loco pre-order of mine not associated with Rails.  Once I'd stopped gorging on Pecketts (prematurely for the reasons given above), there was nothing much left in the Hornby catalogue for me. So, it is particularly irksome to me that Hornby should have spent so much misguided effort and reputational coin trying to damage a commissioner responsible for subjects and periods that Hornby largely ignores.  

Be that as it may, there is something rotten in the state of Hornby and that seems to be an 'integrity vacuum' right at the top echelons of the business. That does a great disservice to all the good and skillful folk who do such good work for Hornby and to an understandably cherished brand. 

All the noise concerning Hornby ought to be around things like the superb Coronation Scot coaches. The fact that it isn't is entirely the fault of the senior decision makers at Hornby, who seem intent on merely doubling down on the appalling behaviours of their recent past.

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Nicely put Edwardian. 

Oh Hornby, you silly people. Or rather one silly person, who should have known better. Reputational damage done, brand, personally, professionally. 

APT returned, faulty, no exchange required thank you. Rapido and Accurascale are getting my dough for the foreseeable.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

Hornby haven't yet worked our how to pull or edit their YouTube 2022 Range Launch video...yet.

Is it in their 2022 catalog ?

might suddenly get to be rare, if a 2nd edition is made… speculation of course.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But you'd probably have to wait for about 50 years for it to be worth anything ;)

Waste paper is inflating like everything else… 

Recently sold my dads old chest fridge for £50. He bought it for £25 in 1979, buyer had to collect it too.

might be able to burn it, and save on the heating bills.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1