Hornby 2022 - Trains on Film

AY Mod

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

Only just noticed, even Lion is not there, all the other LM&R stuff is still there

Didn't you read any of the posts from the last 24 hours?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Well in my role as a retailer I phoned Hornby earlier on behalf of an interested customer to see what the removal of the stuff from the website meant, and I was told in these exact words "We were advised yesterday to tell everyone it is out of stock, that's all I can say" take from that what you will

Gary

You’re obviously not in the right supplier tier. :P

• Funny 9

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Of course if Hornby think they can sell Lion, in places Rapido might not reach, is there anything stopping them buying a supply from Rapido and Hornby branding it ?

Hornby brand and reach matched with Rapido quality and manufacturing.

That to me would be a win win... like Efe rail.

What’s in it for Rapido? 

’ok, you’ve proven you’re bigger and better than us, we’ll help you out’?

there’s at least one word for that. And the capital of Sweden has a whole syndrome…

in this particular situation I would suggest it has got to be win lose, because to do what you’ve suggested  would be lose win.

Edited by Helmdon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DK123GWR said:

Regional restrictions could also be used for price discrimination. If (for example) demand for a film in Europe is judged to be less price-sensitive than in North America, regional restrictions allow the firm to maximise profits by selling the product at a higher price in Eurpope than in North America, without having to worry about North Amercians who have bought the product at a cheaper price selling it on to Europeans for some intermediate price, and undercutting the firm's price in Europe. Multi-packs often have 'not for individual resale' lables for the same reason.

The problem with the regionalisation of DVDs was it wasn't very enforceable at the player end of the market.

Although a computer DVD player I had was properly Regionalised, neither my last three TV DVD players have been, all being sold as "multi region", all from proper dealers.

There were also ways to unlock some that were regionalised.

I assume that originally there was an agreement with the studios to make single region players, there must have been wriggle room somewhere as I can't recall any manufacturers being prosecuted, for later going multi region.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Many Youtubers have been outspoken, e.g. chez Sam. Hornby has deleted many critical comments on its own YT videos. Some of the comments on Twitter are unprintable.

As someone who works in Digital Marketing I wouldn’t advise a client to delete negative comments on any of your social channels (unless they’re defamatory etc.) That’s pretty much guaranteed to antagonise people and make the problem worse rather than better. 

It’s the Internet equivalent of covering your ears and singing: ‘la la la, I can’t hear you!’.

As we all know, RMWeb is the home of sensible and reasoned discourse when it comes to the hobby of railway modelling. As long as you don’t mind a little bit of frothing from time to time!

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

Breaking news ....

Next week the Prime Minister is expected to address the House on the subject of Hornby's Trains on Film initiative and to assure MPs that there was no breach of intellectual property rights ....

.... or that no one told Hornby it was a breach of intellectual property rights .... 

.... or that they only breached intellectual property rights for 25 minutes ....

.... and there was definitely no cake.

.... though they might have broken the swing in the Hornby Executive Play Pen (presumably when Mr Kohler allegedly threw his teddy out of the pram)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Many Youtubers have been outspoken, e.g. chez Sam. Hornby has deleted many critical comments on its own YT videos. Some of the comments on Twitter are unprintable.

That’s not unreasonable though. The companies I work with, and have worked for, (airlines), do exactly the same. If it’s a reasonable comment often it may be left and a ‘contact us here’ message given by the company.

If it’s just another mouth breather gobbing off,  why give them your platform to do it from?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MrTea said:

As we all know, RMWeb is the home of sensible and reasoned discourse when it comes to the hobby of railway modelling.

I must be reading the wrong forum then.:scratchhead:

There has been an awful lot of twaddle* aired in this particularlar topic, which is not unusual (and IMHO livens up the discussions).

*Of course I never post any twaddle:no::D

:jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

6 hours ago, scumcat said:

I takes a lot of imagination to describe Hornby as a greedy corporation. In the scheme of things they are actually quite a small non profit making company who financially are not on a good footing. This is why it always bothers me with all the talk of wanting them to fail. Imagine the hobby without them, they bring in a lot of new blood. As I have said before company’s like accurascale, rapido, cavalex, Hattons and others are not interested in making models for beginners or for the enthusiasts who cannot spend hundreds on a new loco. So to me I will be careful what I wish for

It was tongue in cheek. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PMP said:

Because in the modern world a decent Competitor Intelligence consultant will take about an hour to subtly start letting people know the company sees them as ‘mouth breathers gobbing off’…?

Edited by Helmdon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Helmdon said:

Because in the modern world a decent Competitor Intelligence consultant will take about an hour to subtly start letting people know the company sees them as ‘mouth breathers gobbing off’…?

You don’t need a consultant, and it doesn’t need an hour.

Just someone with access to the media account/s to remove comments that are rude/defamatory/irrelevant/worthless/spam etc etc. Quite simple really. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Legend said:

I wonder if they will continue with Lion or will it too just disappear . I think the only reference to it was in these Film products . 

Bet the suits in the Hornby board room aren't as daft as we think. I think they'll have a few cards up their corporate sleeves.

"Inspired by the Sting - Bringing back Tri-ang transcontinental".

They might surprise us by pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

"Inspired by Bugs".

or maybe it really is a train crash for Hornby.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Helmdon said:

What’s in it for Rapido? 

Do I really need to answer that ?

Theres a saying in sales..you can be right, and you can be dead right. Its anecdotally suggested from these pages that Hornbys lost this battle, but its by no means certain they have lost the war.

Its worth pointing out for the last decade Rapidos model in the UK has been exactly what ive proposed.. Realtrack, Locomotion etc… are made by Rapido.
Hornby themselves make very little, its from other 3rd party suppliers in China.

If Hornby were to reckon they can reach 300+ more retailers than Rapidos recent claim of 100, and Hornby’s name is more recognisable than Rapidos… then it costs Rapido nought extra to bag up another batch and 3rd party label it…and it keeps a competitor at closer arms reach on one product line, whilst still making an extra margin on additional sales they may not have otherwise made.

At the end of the day its business, and businesses make money… its not personal nor is it emotional. its called profit, its the way to make money above the cost of producing.

So don't cut off your nose to spite your face… nothing is stopping Hornby making a duplicate tooling of Lion and going head to head against Rapido in which case i’d weight the risk against Rapido, as aside of our little microcosm of the internet.. Hornbys name and reach are greater than Rapido in the UK, so odds are in Hornbys favour to sell more, regardless how good Rapidos is… by all accounts Hornbys 71, Terrier, Prairie have done quite well…there is nothing stopping Lion joining that list.

EFE / Bachmann has in all regards done quite well with Kernow and Heljan 3rd party products recently, so its not without recent industry precedent, nor the wider world…

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/m-s-perfect-match-valentines-day-b1999383.html

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3