Building another O gauge micro layout and weathering stock

Nick G

11 hours ago, Nick G said:

Hi Julian,

Lamps from here and they will slip on & off the lamp iron as they have a slot underneath.

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/detailing-components/loco-rolling-stock-lamps/tail-lamps/

Thanks Nick, annoyed as I should have known that, thanks once again I will order tonight.

Regards

Julian.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2022 at 20:02, Nick G said:

Latest update on the build, some low relief units and some working yard lights from China.

16-9-22.jpg

16-9-22a.jpg

Hi Nick,

Quick question, where did you get the warehouse units from please? Just thinking about something similar for the extension to my layout...

Following on from Rob, those lamps look like the ones I have.  My first stab at getting these working was a disappointment in that they were quite dim.  I have a power distribution board that converts DCC to 3VDC.  I did tie all the lights on the layout together to one 3V power feed.  My suspicion is that there is excessive line resistance.

After effectively rewiring the layout I distributed the lamp power feeds to about 3 or 4 lamps per connection and increased the wire gauge.

How have you powered your lamps, the brightness looks about right?

John

7 hours ago, 37114 said:

Hi Nick,

Quick question, where did you get the warehouse units from please? Just thinking about something similar for the extension to my layout...

Hi Rob,

Intentio, he had his stand right opposite from me at the MIOG show we both exhibited at in March.

https://www.intentio.shop/Lasercut?page=7

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brossard said:

How have you powered your lamps, the brightness looks about right?

Hi John,

Although my layout is DCC I have a seperate 12v transformer under the boards to power the yard lamps (with the supplied resistors) and the LED's that light the layout.

6 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Hi John,

Although my layout is DCC I have a seperate 12v transformer under the boards to power the yard lamps (with the supplied resistors) and the LED's that light the layout.

Ah thanks.  I've been trying to keep one power source for the layout, DCC.  If I put lights in buildings, I will need another power source.

John

• Like 1

After I put a plea for help on a Facebook forum and twitter asking if anyone who does 3D printing could look at doing me some lamp irons for a Wickham trolley which are quite a unique shape. Someone who follows me messaged me asking if I had any dimensions, using a lamp iron from a BR brake van as a guide two days later these dropped through my letterbox. Painted and now fitted they look great. Cropped photo of the catual lamp irons attached also.

IMG_4264.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

F5rEO2AWcAAxsAx.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

Had a great weekend at the Stafford Exhibition. The layout was well recieved with hopefully a few more converted to O gauge when they realised you don't need loads of space to build an O gauge layout. Lots of positive comments on my weathered and faded 08's and stock which was nice.

Had a 'celebrity' at the layout too. If your interested in cars you may recognise 'Workshop Phil' from the TV series Car SOS.

Stafford-2013.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, markwilson said:

@mudmagnet what are those wagons please (I can’t quite see the TOPS code in the photo)? I picked up an 03 recently and realised it’s only got vacuum brakes so I may need some more non-air brakes wagons!

I am sure Richard or Nick will confirm but they look like Parkside Grampus to me. A nice kit to build and weather, I think they are ZBO tops code.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I am sure Richard or Nick will confirm but they look like Parkside Grampus to me. A nice kit to build and weather, I think they are ZBO tops code.

Yes, a pair of Grampus wagons from Parkside / Peco.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markwilson said:

Thanks @mudmagnet. And now I’ve seen your site I can convert my 03 to add air brakes too!  https://mudmagnet-models.sumupstore.com/product/7mm-class-03-air-tanks-cabinet

The @mudmagnet bits for the 03 are excellent, here is my 03.

03170a.jpg

Edited by Nick G
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

7 hours ago, Melangoose said:

It was Fantastic to see the layout at the Stafford Model Railway Exhibition the other weekend, great to catch up with the Operators.  I must admit that I am very smitten with Nick’s 37425.

Thanks Nigel, nice photos. I was good to see you to, and Steve.

• Like 1