Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann OO Spring 2022 Announcements inc. OO9

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Downer said:

It’s been a long time since Bachmann announced any new 00 steam locomotive for its own range. A sign, I think, that the steam and transition eras are rapidly becoming a smaller part of the market. 

I think it's more a case of them choosing the market segment they prefer to cater for, and within perhaps feel they are best able to compete.

I'll be having the SR Standard Five when it arrives, but their only recent all-new steam outline introduction to suit my interests was the ex-Midland 0-4-4T. 

John 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Downer said:

It’s been a long time since Bachmann announced any new 00 steam locomotive for its own range. A sign, I think, that the steam and transition eras are rapidly becoming a smaller part of the market. 

I think it's more a case of Bachmann picking the market segment that they wish to cater for, and perhaps within which they feel best able to compete. Apart from the J72 and V2 and the re-chassis of the Ivatt tank, they seem to have abandoned any idea of defending their back catalogue "territory". The Lord Nelson, BR 4MT 4-6-0, B1, GW Mogul and Manor were all left alone for so long that others were bound to jump on them. J39 next? Then what?

As things stand, they'd have problems finding a medium/large "mainstream" steam loco to develop, that's not already made by somebody else, anyway. Those they have done recently are mainly smaller (94xx, ex-Midland 0-4-4T), "niche" (Brighton Atlantic), or commissions, which may be where they feel comfortable right now.

John

EDIT: ah! my previous post did load, after all.....

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, meld said:

As this Model is shown to portray a VEV, it should be on  a Roller Bearing Chassis.

It would be nice to think the production model will come with one underneath it.

Meld

Digging a bit further.

Other photos have it with the correct axleboxes.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/75058/38-873-Bachmann-BR-12T-Vanwide-Ventilated-Van-BR-Bauxite

Jason

30 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I think it's more a case of them choosing the market segment they prefer to cater for, and within perhaps feel they are best able to compete.

I'll be having the SR Standard Five when it arrives, but their only recent all-new steam outline introduction to suit my interests was the ex-Midland 0-4-4T. 

John 

Have only had a brief look, but the only thing pre-1948 I could see was the GC signal box in green, and that would have lasted well into the 50@s.

Massively happy about the Network Rail DBSO. Just started looking at making my own! Glad I didn't Start yet.

Even considered buying this but the price of it only makes the Bachmann one more appealing!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-DBSO-Network-Rail-coach-DCC-lighting-/255331390794?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Have only had a brief look, but the only thing pre-1948 I could see was the GC signal box in green, and that would have lasted well into the 50@s.

I hadn't noticed that but, then again, I wouldn't.:angel:

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Downer said:

Please remember that this announcement from Bachmann only covers the next 3 months!

Bachmann might well have a couple of steam locos under development but as they won't be on their way over until the Summer / Autumn / Winter you won't be hearing about them yet.

Yes Hornby may well have announced a new black 5 etc - but given recent form such locos may well not arrive until 2023 something Bachmann are avoiding by keeping their cards close to their chest.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Am I correct in believing that Bachmann have foregone their previous over-promising items that take years to arrive(eg the 94xx)?

If so, then they are to be applauded. And, for the sake of interest, how is it that Hornby (and others) can get products in the shops quicker?

Or am I missing something?

24 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I like the dutch and loadhaul MTAs but at £40 now for a small wagon , i'll have to consult my flowchart to see if i need them 

Just received an email from Accurascale titled "realistic models at realistic prices". A dig at Bachmann?

At £40 the Bachmann MTA is far too much for what is now quite an old model.

The similar (but far more detailed) forthcoming MHA from Accurascale can be had for sixty odd pounds for a 3 pack when buying 2+ packs. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I like the dutch and loadhaul MTAs but at £40 now for a small wagon , i'll have to consult my flowchart to see if i need them 

I hate to be 'that guy' but the MTA's are the wrong tooling sadly - the real ones are cut-down MKA 'Limpet's and have the bodystyle of equally spaced ribs on the side, rather than the EWS new-build MTA design that Bachmann have used - it's the equivalent of when Hornby when they're just jazzing up old tooling and hoping the modeller doesn't care enough about wagons I think! Hopefully makes them a bit of cash though to fund the good quality items :good_mini:

The chassis can be improved with new springs and brake pipe detailing so all-in they can be a great fun project, but I'd start out with a secondhand one and a bit of bashing me thinks!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

There's a mention in the video of a price rise in March.  So my long-awaited Bulleid coaches are going to cost even more by the time they arrive. :mad:

Fortunately, I'm only interested in green ones these days.....

Interesting announcements.  Personally I was hoping for a Reggie Rail 117, arguably the most attractive livery the class carried, and which also should appeal to Scottish modellers as they worked out their last days up there in the livery, but no doubt the Chinese factories are waiting on supplies of striped paint for the interior seating.

I do wonder if the announcement that the 769 will follow on the junior scale 319 might see the unit upscaled to OO?  Seems a bit of a no-brainer really.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Chuffed 1 said:

Am I correct in believing that Bachmann have foregone their previous over-promising items that take years to arrive(eg the 94xx)?

Yup - but its not a new development as this has been their way of doing things for over 2 years now IIRC

23 minutes ago, Chuffed 1 said:

If so, then they are to be applauded. And, for the sake of interest, how is it that Hornby (and others) can get products in the shops quicker?

Hornby have traditionally announced things when development of the model is well enough advanced that they can be sure it will arrive within the subsequent 12 months where as Bachmann traditional made announcements about future products at a very early stage in the development cycle thus giving a grater lead time, and more importantly less certainty about when the finished product would arrive.

In reality there is not a significant difference between the actual time it takes to develop a product from scratch regardless of who makes it - so the differences you see between manufactures is simply that different manufacturers reveal what they are working on at different times during the models development.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Chuffed 1 said:

Or am I missing something?

Yes, Bachmann's stated policy over the last two years and the coverage on here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I do wonder if the announcement that the 769 will follow on the junior scale 319 might see the unit upscaled to OO?  Seems a bit of a no-brainer really.

It might be - but as per Bachmanns strategy if it happens we won't know till its on the high seas on its way over here.

• Like 1

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Chuffed 1 said:

A £40 vanwide, lovely though it looks is just too pricey.

Compared to what? A Parkside kit with extra detailing from scratch bits, paint and some (enjoyable hours) of your life. Your time or your money? Your choice but I hope your decoration skills are top notch. 

Anyway, they'll be around £34 in the shops.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Compared to what? A Parkside kit with extra detailing from scratch bits, paint and some (enjoyable hours). Your time or your money? Your choice.

Or simply representing a vast improvement on no Vanwide at all.  it takes us froma cjhoice of one to a choice betwen two and as far as I'm aware like any other model railway item you care to name the purchase of one is not compulsory.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

There's a mention in the video of a price rise in March.  So my long-awaited Bulleid coaches are going to cost even more by the time they arrive. :mad:

What are you basing the "current" price of one on? As to date Bachmann have not released a RRP for them.

Edited by Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Not convinced at all. We’ve had the J72 , MR1532, 94xx and V2 in recent times as solo Bachmann main range offerings plus transition era versions of all the relevant diesel classes. Plenty of interest in this market both from Bachmann and the other manufacturers and by and large they seem to selling

All the above were of course announced a long time ago . But I think we are someway from sayying the steam market is dead . In fact the success of the Caley 812, that I believe is nearly sold out , and the Precedent suggest there is some scope .  I'm not sure but the higher prices from Bachmann may suggest lower production runs , which maybe the ideal business model to give us some more pre grouping stuff . I'm thinking Claughtons, Experiments , Midland Single Wheelers, Caley Cardeans , NBR Glens  - but maybe that will be Rails next move in conjunction with Bachmann  or Dapol.

Meanwhile I'm just glad I picked up their last iteration of vent vans for £10-£12, £40 for one is eyewatering . No thanks 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

Something Bachmann will avoid in future by only announcing products that will be on sale shortly thus meaning the price will remain fixed.

It will also avoid some of the whinging which happens on this site over prices as that will only be possible when the items are about to be released and not in the 2 / 3 years beforehand.