RMweb

OO Gauge GWR Toplight Mainline & City Coaches announced

Free At Last

• RMweb Premium

Surprised it's not been mentioned, review of these in Jan. 2024 RM. Generally very positive but they do state the tumblehome ain't quite right.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

Surprised it's not been mentioned, review of these in Jan. 2024 RM. Generally very positive but they do state the tumblehome ain't quite right.

That’s strange as the review in the November Model rail says it’s perfect… they summarise with a “cons” Nothing.

indeed, within the review it says…. “The overall appearance is fabulous”…. Adding “Dimensionally everything appears correct…..”

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

That’s strange as the review in the November Model rail says it’s perfect… they summarise with a “cons” Nothing.

indeed, within the review it says…. “The overall appearance is fabulous”…. Adding “Dimensionally everything appears correct…..”

I've no skin in this game but the RM review states the tumblehome curve 'is sharper and closer to the solebar than the prototype'. Plus some of the dynamo positioning is wrong, and there's a horizontal handrail missing from the Brake Third. - apparently.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

I've no skin in this game but the RM review states the tumblehome curve 'is sharper and closer to the solebar than the prototype'. Plus some of the dynamo positioning is wrong, and there's a horizontal handrail missing from the Brake Third. - apparently.

Possibly because these carriages have a squat appearance, due to the need of going over the Metropolitan lines.

Maybe the RM reviewer didn’t know this!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Does the RM review say which tumblehome plane it is referring to? The cross-section tumblehome or the longitudinal tumblehome at the ends?

Looking back at Andy's great pics on page 18, the coaches look fine to me, and I can't get too excited about a missing handrail. (D'you fancy applying the lining underneath that?)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Does the RM review say which tumblehome plane it is referring to? The cross-section tumblehome or the longitudinal tumblehome at the ends?

The cross sectional tumblehome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Certainly not a deal breaker for me when they look like this.

640a482dd8cfefce56f716a64e1a8e8b.png.fc348ae45e00e8cd98ffdb21a32ca6e5.png.956dc902d6dda03599ef17d2d96da7c9.png

Yes they still look good.

Clearly they are “stuck” somewhere…. The first batch was due Nov / Dec, with the second batch due in Jan / Feb. A rake of six is going to be terrific arriving into Henley-on-Thames.

Lets hope they arrive soon and they are a success for Dapol.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

Stopped reading the reviews. I have a full six red lake livery set pre-ordered. I do not have the time, skill or inclination to build and line for the price. If I paid a pro painter, it is the price of all six coaches just to paint one. Let's be clear. BARGAIN at that price.

Fully agree with the support comment. I have square end prairies and a 53xx also on order. I do not really need them but they will be put to good use.

Looking forward to them arriving. Day excursion stock is my excuse. I have images of later suburban stock being used on an excursion to Bournemouth. A long trip without toilets!!!

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Certainly not a deal breaker for me when they look like this.

640a482dd8cfefce56f716a64e1a8e8b.png.fc348ae45e00e8cd98ffdb21a32ca6e5.png.956dc902d6dda03599ef17d2d96da7c9.png

The deal breaker for me is there is they are missing corridor connectors. 🤡

Can't wait to see the next batch of Diagrams they produce. If they are half as good as these, they're on to a winner.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Yes they still look good.

Clearly they are “stuck” somewhere…. The first batch was due Nov / Dec, with the second batch due in Jan / Feb. A rake of six is going to be terrific arriving into Henley-on-Thames.

Lets hope they arrive soon and they are a success for Dapol.

The disastrously awful conflict in the middle east might be affecting shipping from China:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67731853

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 13/12/2023 at 19:37, spamcan61 said:

I'm not sure the 'perfect' model will ever be achieved,but these look to me like the best RTR coaches that have appeared to date

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The ship would be past there by now if 'Nov/Dec' means what it says.

To make a December date, I would have thought it would be as far as Rotterdam or Tilbury.... jan/Feb though could easily be caught up in that "conflict". 😠

Does that put out 2024 delivery dates?

Edited by Neal Ball
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

To make a December date, I would have thought it would be as far as Rotterdam or Tilbury.... jan/Feb though could easily be caught up in that "conflict". 😠

Does that put out 2024 delivery dates?

Probably.  I assume the companies concerned have decided to go the long way round Africa, like when the Canal was blocked following that collision a few months back.  Perhaps the railways should run a more frequent Yiwu-London freight service?  That route has its own vulnerabilities to disruption of course

This is impacting not only the West's supplies, but also China's economic recovering following covid.  It was suggested on the World Service last night that we could find the US and China in the improbable situation of fighting together against a common enemy.   But if this sort of thing is to become more prevalent, it seems to me that they can't protect every vessel everywhere.  The size and value of these ships is such that the cost of self-defence could outweigh the increased insurance costs following significant losses.  So what it suggests to me is that we could consider going back to the WW2 concept of "Armed Merchantmen" and fitting tankers and container ships with anti-aircraft weapons and the like.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Probably.  I assume the companies concerned have decided to go the long way round Africa, like when the Canal was blocked following that collision a few months back.  Perhaps the railways should run a more frequent Yiwu-London freight service?  That route has its own vulnerabilities to disruption of course

This is impacting not only the West's supplies, but also China's economic recovering following covid.  It was suggested on the World Service last night that we could find the US and China in the improbable situation of fighting together against a common enemy.   But if this sort of thing is to become more prevalent, it seems to me that they can't protect every vessel everywhere.  The size and value of these ships is such that the cost of self-defence could outweigh the increased insurance costs following significant losses.  So what it suggests to me is that we could consider going back to the WW2 concept of "Armed Merchantmen" and fitting tankers and container ships with anti-aircraft weapons and the like.

Is that more or less conflict in the world?

If that what it comes down to…. Maybe we can’t afford to manufacture outside our own territory….

The cost of arming ships, vs EU manufacturing….. I know there’s a long way to go, but it does beg the question.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

AIUI some merchant ships are already armed and have trained security teams on board, so 'armed merchantmen' already exist.  But we are I suspect getting into dodgy legal territory here; what if the legitimate government of Yemen, or Somalia, took action that injured or killed it's citizens as an act of war that would provide them with a legitimate right to retaliate in kind?  There's a fine line between piracy and privateering. 

The answer for the trade routes between the Far East and Europe is more rail, and sea routing around Cape Aghulas.  This will provoke pressure for faster ships, which will have a knock-on effect in terms of emissions.  More northerly export ports such as Yokohama, Beijng, or Seoul, may find it better to use the Northwest Passage as it opens with global warming, or even the Northeast Passage...

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Is that more or less conflict in the world?

If that what it comes down to…. Maybe we can’t afford to manufacture outside our own territory….

The cost of arming ships, vs EU manufacturing….. I know there’s a long way to go, but it does beg the question.

Whatever your views on Brexit, isn't the EU outside 'our territory' :-) ?

I'm not sure of the cost impact, but onshore production would have potential for bringing forward delivery dates

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think Brexit and shipping are going a bit ‘off course’?

On 15/12/2023 at 20:15, jamieb said:

look to me like the best RTR coaches that have appeared to date

I’d suggest a close look at their own Lionheart O16.5 range which feature working scale couplings too. Certainly these look to be well up there in finish too ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Informative/Useful 1