OO Gauge GWR Toplight Mainline & City Coaches announced

Free At Last

13 hours ago, Invicta Informant said:

I got some in Lined Crimson livery. The models come in packaging similar to Rapido's LNER Dynamometer Car. You must fit the couplings yourself and you are provided with four 'bar' style connectors (similar to what I have seen used on Hornby and Bachmann models of DMUs and EMUs), two shorter ones and two slightly longer ones. You also get one tension lock coupling with the brake carriages.

The models have a nice weight to them, and have the look and feel of a quality product. The lighting in them is superb, with a working tail light on the brake carriages that lights up red, depending on the direction. Recommended.

IMG_20240220_200734160.jpg

It looks rather like the bottom of the side is bowing in and out, comparing it to the solebar.   

5 hours ago, Footy said:

Do you have the Railtec reference for those set numbers?  Can't find them on their website.  Thanks in anticipation.

they are custom transfers that they sell for brakevan allocations.  They also suit coach allocations for the ends to replace the Birmingham division 43.  You can even make up your own like Tondu No.2 but don’t tell @The Johnster

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for that; a renumbering job is called for, not to mention more Hornbys.  An intention is to buy at least one more anyway for the purpose of cut'n'shutting a C56 with my existing composite, which will leave a spare frame for another 57 footer, and you have just opened up the possibility of a 9' bogie version. 

Funfunfunfunfun.

3 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

You can even make up your own like Tondu No.2 but don’t tell @The Johnster

I won't if you won't...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Afternoon All,

My BR liveried Toplights arrived today. Have yet to open and inspect them, but am expecting a real treat!

Cheers,

Paul

The brake is amazing and quite hefty for it's size 👍

IMG_20240222_100318706.jpg.1d29731663d34b7454d6158ed0af2133.jpg

IMG_20240222_100246034.jpg.fe24f18a8c351d116268e8035ed8a7b6.jpg

IMG_20240222_100227626.jpg.ca828bead4861ae3ea500c48c70c3304.jpg

IMG_20240222_1821173342.jpg.750207bcae76639aca53c818efe47fc2.jpg

Edited by Tim Dubya
photos
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/02/2024 at 14:02, Penrhos1920 said:

they are custom transfers that they sell for brakevan allocations.  They also suit coach allocations for the ends to replace the Birmingham division 43.  You can even make up your own like Tondu No.2 but don’t tell @The Johnster

Thanks, all.  I'll go take a look.

• RMweb Premium

Having seen what they are like on here, I've just taken the plunge and ordered a Choccy & Cream set.

I really need to start offloading some of my earlier stuff which is looking very dated.

Edited by melmerby
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, railtec-models said:

I can't immediately recall which item number you used. Was it 9970 in the list below?

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=9970

4217 GWR (non-cursive script)*

*I always thought non-cursive was if you said “oh dear” instead of “oh boll**ks” 🤪

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, melmerby said:

Having seen what they are like on here, I've just taken the plunge and ordered a Choccy & Cream set.

I really need to start offloading some of my earlier stuff which is looking very dated.

That's the trouble......  They are going to make some of my other rakes looked dated.

I have bought a chocolate and cream brake. Just opened the accessories pack and only one coupling still going at the back so ok. So fitted it and placed in a rake with 2 Hornby 4 wheeler's.   First circuit it de-coupled. Coupled it directly to the loco (older Bachmann pree nem) same

3 minutes ago, mi-go-a-go-go said:

Anyone else have this issue. 1 coupling and the hook on the opposite side. This is my first of the new age Dapol rolling stick so I may be noticing an old problem 

Could it be possible, that the coupling itself was assembled in the wrong way? Looks like the plastic part of the coupling is upside down, so it should be turned around and the coupling hook fitted from the other side.

• Agree 10
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, mi-go-a-go-go said:

Anyone else have this issue. 1 coupling and the hook on the opposite side. This is my first of the new age Dapol rolling stick so I may be noticing an old problem 

Just checked mine and confirm that the coupling hooks have been installed on the wrong side. You can remove the hook by pulling it upwards, while pushing up on its counterweight from below. Then turn the coupling body over and insert the hook the correct way.

Am installing West Hill magnetic couplings for the connections in the rake. Am using the ultra close coupling version.

Have noticed the coach rooves in the BR crimson livery, have different levels of matt/sheen finish. The brake and composite  have the most sheen with the 2nd being least sheen.

The BR composites don't have '1' door markings for the first class compartments. Were the declassified in BR days.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

PUT THAT LIGHT OUT!

spacer.png

They are rather bright, aren't  they, I don't intend to do night time fortunately, otherwise I'd have to have it apart and fiddle with the electrical gubbins.

Edited by Tim Dubya
sandwich

• RMweb Premium

Am I right by assuming that if you don't want any lights on at all, you can just remove the blanking plate from under the roof?

Al

Probably alright in normal light.

The only coaches I've got with lights are a few Pullmans and the Coronation Scot. The problem with the lights is that you can see that they are unpopulated and really need figures. Unfortunately I don't think those cheap Chinese ones would look good enough. You might get away with them in compartment stock, but not with wide open windows where you can see the interior detail!

Jason

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Al51 said:

Am I right by assuming that if you don't want any lights on at all, you can just remove the blanking plate from under the roof?

Al

Not sure but sounds reasonable, I haven't looked at the enclosed destructions yet.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Al51 said:

Al

Yes

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1