The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Fuss over Trading Name

billbedford

My bank has asked me to provide a certificate of my Trading Name and suggested that one could be obtained from an accountant or a solicitor. I've never had an accountant and all the solicitors I approached so far have refused.

Has any one had any experience of such things and what was the outcome?

11 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

What bank is that? Never heard of it. I know banks have got ridiculously finicky over particulars the last couple of years.

Yet scammers seem to be able to operate with impunity... :angry:

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, billbedford said:

My bank has asked me to provide a certificate of my Trading Name and suggested that one could be obtained from an accountant or a solicitor. I've never had an accountant and all the solicitors I approached so far have refused.

Has any one had any experience of such things and what was the outcome?

Is this any good

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

The link from David above seems to say that the only authorised way to get official recognition is to be registered as a sole trader with HMRC.

And that they don't issue certificates. It seems like someone at the bank is talking through their kilt.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/02/2022 at 01:15, blueeighties said:

You can only do that if you are a Ltd company, non Ltd has to be done by post and costs 40 quid.

Screenshot_20220220-141348_Samsung Internet.jpg

They want a cheque? I found my cheque book for my business recently and it was July 2010 the last time I wrote one!

• RMweb Premium

Copied below from the link provided above by David Green - do you have the confirmation I have highlighted in bold from when you first registered as a sole trader - if not could HMRC provide a duplicate ?

A sole trader simply notifies HMRC that they intend to start working for themselves, essentially telling HMRC they are becoming “self employed”. HMRC will ask if the sole trader business intends to have a “business name” or “trading style”, but this is not in order to register the business name and HMRC will not alert you if there are other businesses using the same name.

The only proof that you will get that you have registered as a sole trader is a Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number. HMRC will send this to you around 10 days after your sole trader registration has been completed. Unlike with a limited company there is no certificate, or other documentation, to show you are registered as a sole trader. Also unlike a limited company there is no public list of sole traders that anyone can look you up on and no public database they can look your UTR number up on.

There are a few private companies who will offer you the chance to register your sole trader business on the ‘Small Business Register’ or something equally official sounding. These private business registers are not run by the government and you are absolutely not required to register with them.

• Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Copied below from the link provided above by David Green - do you have the confirmation I have highlighted in bold from when you first registered as a sole trader - if not could HMRC provide a duplicate ?

This misses the point again. The problem is with my taking name ie "Mousa Models" and being able to produce a paper trail that links that to me and my address. 

23 minutes ago, billbedford said:

This misses the point again. The problem is with my taking name ie "Mousa Models" and being able to produce a paper trail that links that to me and my address. 

With respect, that is not the problem.  The problem is RBS expecting you to prove that which cannot be proved.  Or proven, as you wish ...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

This may seem facetious, if so I apologise.

Presumably you have been with the bank for a period of time having opened the account yourself.

They have have written to you in connection with your business account to your address.

Presumably you are the signatory on the account.

Surely that means they know who you are and that you run the business, so where is their problem - but knowing banks now it won't be that simple.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, DaveF said:

This may seem facetious, if so I apologise.

Presumably you have been with the bank for a period of time having opened the account yourself.

They have have written to you in connection with your business account to your address.

Presumably you are the signatory on the account.

Surely that means they know who you are and that you run the business, so where is their problem - but knowing banks now it won't be that simple.

David

Sometimes financial institutions have new regulations imposed on them by government laws, for which the bank MUST comply with. An example reason being money laundering.

If anyone closes a bank account, because they don't like the changes - well good luck finding a replacement bank, where they don't require ALL of the conditions are met before they allow a new account to be opened.

None of which means Bill was/is money laundering, but the banks need to be sure who they are dealing with.