SECR Maunsell D1 Class Locomotive

Oliver Rails

Recently received my D1 no. 1749. Very nice model. Very good and silent running abilities. I was pleased to notice the fine metal spoke wheels, close coupling backdrops at the tender and between loco and tender. Electric pickups through axle tip and bearing istead of wipers.

46360613at.jpg

46360617cm.jpg

46360625og.jpg

SR Maunsell D1 no. 1749. Rails/Dapol 4S-028-002.

Mine works perfectly with a Doehler & Haass PD18A. The only issue is a lack of tractive power of the model. Although it moves a rake of five Hornby SR Maunsell low windows coaches on level tracks, in slight gradients of up to 2 %, the D1 does not manage to pull the full rake up the hill but only three coaches. The 253 g of the modell do not seem to provide sufficient traction without traction tyres. That IMHO is a pity as the model's running characteristics are outstandingly good and it would manage to pull such rake easily up slight gradients at slow to medium speeds with a bit more traction.

Edited by Guardian
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

23 hours ago, Guardian said:

Recently received my D1 no. 1749. Very nice model. Very good and silent running abilities. I was pleased no notice the fine metal spoke wheels, close couling backdrops at the tender and between loco and tender. Electric pickups through axle tip and bearing istead of wipers.

46360613at.jpg

46360617cm.jpg

46360625og.jpg

SR Maunsell D1 no. 1749. Rails/Dapol 4S-028-002.

Mine works perfectly with a Doehler & Haass PD18A. The only issue is a lack of tractive power of the model. Although it moves a rake of five Hornby SR Maunsell low windows coaches on level tracks, in slight gradients of up to 2 %, the D1 does not manage to pull the full rake up the hill but only three coaches. The 253 g of the modell do not seem to provide sufficient traction without traction tyres. That IMHO is a pity as the model's running characteristics are outstandingly good and it would manage to pull such rake easily up slight gradients at slow to medium speeds with a bit more traction.

Is there any space inside the body above the driving wheels to fit some extra weight. Liquid lead for example.

A white metal/pewter crew would help a little.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1

There is quite a lot of space in the smokebox - but that is above the bogie and does not add additional weight above the driven coupled wheels. Above these, only limited space is available. And the addition of approx. 15 to 30 g does not increase the traction noticeably.

On 05/09/2023 at 13:21, tetsudofan said:

Thanks for the information, ordered two sets (for my olive green & BR black livery models) last night and just got an email saying they on the way,

Keith

Hi Keith,

did you receive your wheelsets in between? Did you have a chance to check out if it works yet?

Cheers

Mark

• RMweb Premium
On 24/09/2023 at 11:33, Guardian said:

The 253 g of the modell do not seem to provide sufficient traction without traction tyres. 

I understand that can be solved by purchasing spare driving wheels for the D class (which come with traction tyres) that are identical dimension wise

https://www.petersspares.com/c/spares/Dapol-oo-spares/class-d-oo?pg=7
https://www.petersspares.com/p/Dapol-115736-d-class-oo-gauge-wheel-set-black-plain-front-driving

https://www.petersspares.com/p/Dapol-300049-d-class-oo-gauge-wheel-set-green-stud-front-driving

Edited by phil-b259

On 27/09/2023 at 15:22, phil-b259 said:

I have changed the front driving wheels on my D1 Class to a spare set of driving wheels with traction tyres for the D Class. The haulage performance of my D1 has definitively improved.

The D Class has the instructions and a tool that (un)tightening up the bolts that holds the coupling rods, which are not provided with the D1. Following said instructions and using the tool, it is not a hard job to change the wheel sets. But extreme care must be taken with the coupling rod bolts, as they are tiny and very difficult to put back into place.

Thank you to Peter's Spares for your excellent service and turnaround (ordered on Tuesday lunchtime; delivered on Wednesday morning) and to phil-b259 for posted those links.

Edited by Invicta Informant
Grammar
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Tried to download the instruction sheet from Dapol for the D1 but found the URL just refreshed the index page. Sent an email to Dapol about this and later in the day got a reply saying they had corrected it. 

Instruction sheets for all Dapol's OO locos, now including the D1, can be downloaded from https://www.Dapol.co.uk/pages/oo-gauge-Dapol-technical .

• Thanks 2