SECR Maunsell D1 Class Locomotive

Oliver Rails

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Olive_Green1923 said:

Have you tried tweezers to squeeze the back of the coupling so the arms (or whatever they're called) can slide out?

That works. I've got one on the bench this afternoon; I think it's absolutely superb.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I think it's absolutely superb

Having just had a good look around the pair that arrived here this afternoon and given them a quick run, I couldn't agree more.  A lovely job.

Pete T.

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Olive_Green1923 said:

I also found they were very tight to pull out, but didn't have tweezers to hand, so I didn't persist in order to avoid damage. Have you tried tweezers to squeeze the back of the coupling so the arms (or whatever they're called) can slide out?

I have now tried tweezers and eventually managed to do it. It's awkard with the tender coupling as the brake rigging gets in the way of the tweezers. Nice to see the tender coupling has a full close-coupling mechanism too. 

Fitted a Lenz Netx18 decoder and have Just tested the loco using Traincontroller. It reports its top speed as 115 MPH which is a bit OTT! Don't expect to run mine at anything more than 60 MPH on my layout, so now the loco has CV5=110 and CV6=40. This gives a top speed of 61 MPH.

Runs very smoothly with a nice speed profile - MPH is vertical scale, and DCC speed step is horizontal.

Screenshot2023-06-20163329.png.4b16f977fa106e6579bab8063c1a4513.png

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, trevor7598 said:

My D1 arrived today 24 hours after ordering it.

Lovely silent runner, very pleased so far, almost run in.P1380393.JPG.d42f807d32df680a05f1cdc0f7c40227.JPG

And mine arrived today, months after preordering it and paying a deposit!! 

Steve S

• Funny 1

Much the same as everyone else, mine arrived about 25m ago and she's a PEACH. Incredible slow-running performance. Rails of Sheffield and Dapol have done very well here; I a happy customer. Now for some 'real' coal, delicate weathering to take away the 'plastic' look and, as @Forester says, tone down those coupling rods a touch!

PXL_20230620_175314466.jpg

Edited by dis80786
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

That works. I've got one on the bench this afternoon; I think it's absolutely superb.

After a somewhat confusing delivery by DPP ( Text message indicated a delivery time when I was going to be out  so I followed procedure & arranged with my next door to accept delivery….which was duly acknowledged by return from DPD ) got home to find they’re nestling  in my front porch . Be that as it may,they are refined little models,notwithstanding top feed issues which I’ll live with. The finish..particularly the printing and lining…is refined and suitably restrained. I’m a sucker for  Maunsell green and my Southern example …yes 1741….is giving 3 of my Hornby lined olive Maunsells a much needed exercising. Performance is smooth and silent..Tomorrow,the BR Bachmann Birdcage 3 set gets a turn  with 31246 .I particularly like the finish and print size on this

Well done Dapol & Rails. Next step in line for 4 coupled SR models for them might be a revamped Schools  and please a new T9.  ?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

...   Well done Dapol & Rails. Next step in line for 4 coupled SR models for them might be a revamped Schools  and please a new T9.  ?

No, definitely an L1, and then an E1.

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

Having seen how fine the Olive Green Wainwright pairs look I couldn't resist a photoshoot with my two. The young 'un may look more purposeful, but the graceful curves of the old lady can't be beat I reckon!

PXL_20230620_203513645.jpg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

Here's the Rails/Dapol D1 nose to nose with my old Triang L1, which I started to refurbish and detail about 30 years ago, but y'know how it is.... To my eye the old model still presents well.
Finally, and begging your indulgence for the message creep, my Dapol D Class is posed against my own part-finished scratchbuilt version, which has also been in the loft for at least a quarter of a century, and has never before been seen in public - but I'm still proud of her!

PXL_20230620_205027090.jpg

PXL_20230620_205821843.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If you have scatchbuilt or kitbuilt a model locomotive you appreciate how difficult it is to produce an accurate working model.  I have now tested my D1 at the Hornby Railways Collectors Association meeting. The D1 ran very well and I liked the firebox flicker, it reminded me of the firebox glow on my Tri-ang Hornby M7. I like to run my locomotives in but I had a limited amount of time on the club layout. The instructions say that running in is not necessary so after a couple of circuits I tried it with three Mainline Stanier coaches.  The D1 seemed to struggle a bit with these but I will only be running it with a few Bachmann ex SECR coaches so that does not matter. The Tri-ang L1 with magnadhesion could haul over six Mk1s on steel track.

P1000978.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

If you have scatchbuilt or kitbuilt a model locomotive you appreciate how difficult it is to produce an accurate working model.  I have now tested my D1 at the Hornby Railways Collectors Association meeting. The D1 ran very well and I liked the firebox flicker, it reminded me of the firebox glow on my Tri-ang Hornby M7. I like to run my locomotives in but I had a limited amount of time on the club layout. The instructions say that running in is not necessary so after a couple of circuits I tried it with three Mainline Stanier coaches.  The D1 seemed to struggle a bit with these but I will only be running it with a few Bachmann ex SECR coaches so that does not matter. The Tri-ang L1 with magnadhesion could haul over six Mk1s on steel track.

P1000978.JPG

Not surprised at your remarks about haulage capacity. It’s the problem with four coupled models in OO scale …which is why there has been a need for the dreaded traction tyres…..up until now it seems. Brave of Dapol to dispense with them in this case.I agree with your assessment of 3X bogie coaches. My Southern 1749 currently has 3X Hornby Maunsells running. It does slow on one curve which also has a slight gradient but doesn’t slip and looks just right .I’ll add another in a bit to see how it copes.

A bit later I’ll run the BR 31246 with 3X Bachmann Birdcage.There should be no problem there.

Gave my SE&CR grey a test run last night up at our club.

Ran very smooth and quietly with a couple of Hornby Mk1s.

Only fault we found was that the main hand rail on the offside did not seem to have been fixed in place and was sliding in and out. Will have to put a small drop of superglue in an appropriate place.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2023 at 08:07, Ian Hargrave said:

Not surprised at your remarks about haulage capacity. It’s the problem with four coupled models in OO scale …which is why there has been a need for the dreaded traction tyres…..up until now it seems. Brave of Dapol to dispense with them in this case.I agree with your assessment of 3X bogie coaches. My Southern 1749 currently has 3X Hornby Maunsells running. It does slow on one curve which also has a slight gradient but doesn’t slip and looks just right .I’ll add another in a bit to see how it copes.

A bit later I’ll run the BR 31246 with 3X Bachmann Birdcage.There should be no problem there.

I agree it's an absolutely superb model and say that without hesitation.  I would have preferred it to have the same haulage capacity as their equally nice D Class and, personally, have no aversion to traction tyres if they run true, as my D Class and Hornby T9 do. 

It's got me wondering whether the geared driving axle from the D Class would fit as a direct replacement - surely it should - so if anyone with traction tyre phobia has swopped their traction-tyred D Class leading axle for the plain one that was supplied and would like to part with it......!

As has been said, 4-4-0s are a problem in 00 but I have a few old Wills and K's [with Portescap or XT60 motors] that I built in the 70s with the tender lightly bearing on the rear of the loco.  They will haul almost anything but of course the detail doesn't compare with today's offerings.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 17/06/2023 at 15:34, Olive_Green1923 said:

Have now had time to put the lovely new D1 alongside its sister D class. Lovely to see these two finally side by side. Particularly good for seeing how Dapol have improved the Olive livery with the D1 (see photo with D1 tender next to D class engine). Weight-wise, the D1 is slightly lighter than the D, but the D1 still has good weight with the diecast boiler. Has also run very nicely on initial testing, and no problems with buffers falling off this time either!

2E17D32C-9382-4CD9-A060-4D4C392A0EC5.jpeg

A9D2281C-48DD-4604-859D-59234E549F34.jpeg

6647EAC8-2F1F-4398-926B-0631BDDD50F2.jpeg

Adding some extra photos as my previous ones didn’t capture all of the excellent detail in the cab and on the right-hand-side of the loco. Should stress that the livery is slightly darker in the flesh vs the photos. It really does look excellent in lined olive and I’m having to suppress temptation to buy 1741 with the top feed as two of them together would look fabulous.

0686D774-6D7B-4A84-8DC8-E3ABACC553B1.jpeg

7ABA755B-FAFA-4ECA-A6A3-6B1B87A858D5.jpeg

D025374E-18AA-4802-B20B-FF6AEB7425D5.jpeg

82AF66C2-21E6-4F8E-9F28-00AB651208BF.jpeg

Edited by Olive_Green1923
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RichardM said:

I agree it's an absolutely superb model and say that without hesitation.  I would have preferred it to have the same haulage capacity as their equally nice D Class and, personally, have no aversion to traction tyres if they run true, as my D Class and Hornby T9 do. 

It's got me wondering whether the geared driving axle from the D Class would fit as a direct replacement - surely it should - so if anyone with traction tyre phobia has swopped their traction-tyred D Class leading axle for the plain one that was supplied and would like to part with it......!

As has been said, 4-4-0s are a problem in 00 but I have a few old Wills and K's [with Portescap or XT60 motors] that I built in the 70s with the tender lightly bearing on the rear of the loco.  They will haul almost anything but of course the detail doesn't compare with today's offerings.

This morning I’ve gradually increased the load and, for me,the maximum the D1 will take is 6 Hornby Maunsells .On 7 she stalls. But…..on the subject of 4 coupled traction….I’ve just put all 7 behind OOWORKS D15 (without traction tyres )which is completely unfazed by it. Horses for courses I know and you can’t honestly compare the two models  ,The former is a well designed mass produced model and the latter is hand built though was commercially available several years ago.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Linesideohotos said:

IMG_20230620_155426462_HDR.jpg

It's a stunning model overall but with one silly error on that side of the tender - my mistake, corrected by later posts.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's a stunning model overall but with one silly error on that side of the tender.

Except as an early application of the late crest it is, although rare, correct for 31246.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

46 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's a stunning model overall but with one silly error on that side of the tender.

As stated elsewhere - correct, and not exactly rare.

All early applications of the second crest featured LH and RH crests, until the College of Heralds objected.

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1