SECR Maunsell D1 Class Locomotive

Oliver Rails

My pair of D1s. I went for SECR grey and BR Sunshine. Both models have different smokeboxes, safety valves, domes and chimneys. I might get a 3rd to have the different frames (I have not seen a photo comparison between early and late frames of the models).  Also shown next to their respective D class.

E1_02.jpg

E1_03.jpg

E1_04.jpg

E1_05.jpg

E1_06.jpg

E1_07.jpg

E1_12.jpg

• Like 6

The SECR grey D1 at the head of a Rapido SECR train (with 1 Dapol/Rails 1424 van, first vehicle). In the background, other former SECR locos in BR colours.

E1_08.jpg

E1_09.jpg

E1_10.jpg

E1_11.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 03/07/2023 at 08:13, Jack P said:

I thought both of these might be a possibility, but:

31487 unknown location Maunsell SECR D1 Class 4-4-0

31545 Maunsell SECR D1 Class 4-4-0

Those definitely look like cab doors to me. There are a couple of other photos where they look half open/closed.

Have you considered the possibility that they were built without doors - but had them added later on. As both your photos are during British Railways days its not conclusive proof that they all had them from new.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Have you considered the possibility that they were built without doors - but had them added later on. As both your photos are during British Railways days its not conclusive proof that they all had them from new.

I hadn't considered this prior to now. Thinking about it further though, the D1's were rebuilt from 21 members of the D class, which we know had cab doors. So 2 questions arise.

1: How many tender engines didn't have some form of cab door? I know health and safety was not what it is now, but it seems farfetched that a 'new' class wouldn't have relatively basic equipment &

2: Why would the rebuilding into the D1 include the removal of the doors? It would seem like a retrograde step to me. 

There are also these two photos:

1735 Maunsell D1 Class Victoria

1741 Maunsell D1 Class Ramsgate 9th July 1939

I'll be the first to admit they aren't as clear as the BR images, but if you look closely at the first image, paying particular attention to the bottom of the cab/footplate level, there does look to be a door. The second image also looks to have the far door shut, and the near door partially open. 

I'm sure that followers of this thread will no doubt wonder why I haven't shut up about the doors - and I'm honestly not that bothered by the lack of inclusion, as I mentioned earlier, I was simply impressed with the method used on the D. Will have to wait for mine to arrive and see what can be done!

• Like 1

Doors were clearly shown on the E1 GA drawing - which must have pre-dated any thoughts about creating D1s.

I think Dapol's thought processes might have gone something like this : - 

Designer 1                            "I like the way you plugged the cab doors into the toolbox on the D class - we'll do the same on the D1.

Designer 2                            "Er - well, the tool boxes you've designed into the D1 model shouldn't actually be there on the rebuild !.

Designers 1&2 in unison    "Perhaps if we omit the doors nobody will notice ?"

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

To summarise the options for 31487 in 'Sunshine' livery : the only D1s recorded with British Railways numbers AND tenders lettered in 'Sunshine' style were :-

February 1948 :     s1735 with 'British Railways' on the tender   

April 1948 :            31470 with 'British Railways' on the tender

May 1948 :             31246 with 'British Railways' on the tender

June 1948 :             31487 with 'Southern' on the tender

July 1948 :               31743 with 'British Railways' on the tender

September 1948 : 31489 with 'Southern' on the tender

All can be represented by changing loco or tender insignia ( both for 31489 ) .............. but, of course, other loco details may need changing too.

• RMweb Premium

Genuine question please.

From watching video’s online, the front bogie spring seems a little light which causes the the front

end to lift up down.

Does having Dapol’s slide in pcb in the smoke box compromise weight in this area ?
Thanks.

My D1 with sound arrived this afternoon but unfortunately it is completely dead! It won’t work on DC or DCC, nor can I read an address for it. Rails are closed now, so I’ve left a message for a call back. They obviously don’t check these locos before they deliver them. For that kind of money, you would expect that. As they fit the decoders in the UK, why don’t they check they work?

• Friendly/supportive 1

I received my D1 (31487 with sound) on Saturday and have given it a run on my layout and on the club's one.  It cetainly looks really good, and the sound is also good once the volume has been reduced substantially.  The sychronisation with the wheels is probably the best I have seen for a model straight from the box.  The performance in terms of speed control is excellent, from a crawl up to a prototypical maximum speed BUT it can't pull the proverbial skin off a rice pudding!  My layout has a ruling gradient of 1 in 60 on the main line and it just about manages three birdcage coaches but not four.  On the club layout (whose gradients I haven't measured but I would guess 1 in 50 in a couple of places) it wouldn't even take three but got round, with a bit of slipping, with two.  Not good enough, Mr Dapol ! You should have put traction tyres on, like the D which is ok with three birdcages on the club layout.

I should add that I have a section of 1 in 30 that forms a link to enable continuous running, and this I have equipped with DCC Concepts' Powerbase system.  Fitting a magnet under the loco (with loss of the brake pull rod) transforms the performance and it will take the three coaches up the 1 in 30 without difficulty - possibly more than the prototype could do.  If I were starting from scratch I would fit Powerbase everywhere but I'm not going to rip all the track up so I will have to live with my 1 in 60 gradients as they are. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, paftrain said:

My D1 with sound arrived this afternoon but unfortunately it is completely dead! It won’t work on DC or DCC, nor can I read an address for it. Rails are closed now, so I’ve left a message for a call back. They obviously don’t check these locos before they deliver them. For that kind of money, you would expect that. As they fit the decoders in the UK, why don’t they check they work?

Checked the basics that the decoder isn't slightly loose or the slide in tray hasn't been fully pushed back in?

I would question Dapol's sanity if they didn't at least do a basic "does it work" test after fitting the decoders.....

• Agree 1

On 09/07/2023 at 16:27, Wickham Green too said:

To summarise the options for 31487 in 'Sunshine' livery : the only D1s recorded with British Railways numbers AND tenders lettered in 'Sunshine' style were :-

All can be represented by changing loco or tender insignia ( both for 31489 ) .............. but, of course, other loco details may need changing too.

Well, that's "good".

When they do a re-run of the early BR sunshine version they can do any of, 31470, 31246, or 31743.

Edited by phil gollin

• RMweb Gold
On 09/07/2023 at 16:27, Wickham Green too said:

So not "British Airways" as per your post 2100 last Friday?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, paftrain said:

So sorry to hear this. In fact,very few retailers do.Derails are an exception. In the past,due to a certain model being beset with quality control difficulties ( Not Dapol,I should add ) I have specifically requested Rails to do just that and open the box to check.They duly obliged. In fairness these days packaging is tight and it is all to easy to cause damage during unpacking,testing and repackaging. 

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, selset bill said:

I received my D1 (31487 with sound) on Saturday and have given it a run on my layout and on the club's one.  It cetainly looks really good, and the sound is also good once the volume has been reduced substantially.  The sychronisation with the wheels is probably the best I have seen for a model straight from the box.  The performance in terms of speed control is excellent, from a crawl up to a prototypical maximum speed BUT it can't pull the proverbial skin off a rice pudding!  My layout has a ruling gradient of 1 in 60 on the main line and it just about manages three birdcage coaches but not four.  On the club layout (whose gradients I haven't measured but I would guess 1 in 50 in a couple of places) it wouldn't even take three but got round, with a bit of slipping, with two.  Not good enough, Mr Dapol ! You should have put traction tyres on, like the D which is ok with three birdcages on the club layout.

I should add that I have a section of 1 in 30 that forms a link to enable continuous running, and this I have equipped with DCC Concepts' Powerbase system.  Fitting a magnet under the loco (with loss of the brake pull rod) transforms the performance and it will take the three coaches up the 1 in 30 without difficulty - possibly more than the prototype could do.  If I were starting from scratch I would fit Powerbase everywhere but I'm not going to rip all the track up so I will have to live with my 1 in 60 gradients as they are. 

TBH you’re asking a lot.If they had fitted the dreaded traction tyres there’d be howls of protest from the purists on this forum anyway. I knew what I’d be getting as it’s 4 coupled which we know is limited adhesion wise. Mine are happy with 3 birdcages or 5 Hornby Maunsells at max. Not involving any incline btw.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

TBH you’re asking a lot.If they had fitted the dreaded traction tyres there’d be howls of protest from the purists on this forum anyway. I knew what I’d be getting as it’s 4 coupled which we know is limited adhesion wise. Mine are happy with 3 birdcages or 5 Hornby Maunsells at max. Not involving any incline btw.

Gradients are a recipe for disappointment on a model railway, to be avoided at all costs.

CJI.

• Agree 3

Dead loco sorted!

Phoned Rails this morning and spoke to very helpful Lewis, he suggested to remove the smokebox door (easy as it happens though I was worried before) and check the decoder wasn’t loose. It was, I just pushed it in and hey presto, all ok now.

Unfortunately in these days of internet shopping, very often things get dislodged in transit. Hopefully they are easily fixed as in this case.

I’m a happy bunny again now!

IMG_0631.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 minutes ago, paftrain said:

Dead loco sorted!

Phoned Rails this morning and spoke to very helpful Lewis, he suggested to remove the smokebox door (easy as it happens though I was worried before) and check the decoder wasn’t loose. It was, I just pushed it in and hey presto, all ok now.

Unfortunately in these days of internet shopping, very often things get dislodged in transit. Hopefully they are easily fixed as in this case.

I’m a happy bunny again now!

Unfortunately, it seems fairly common with Next 18 decoders for them to come loose in transit; they don't lock in very positively, especially when compared to some of the other connection types. The Rails NER railcar had similar problems, with (in this case) the decoder blanking plug coming loose, so they wouldn't even respond on DC for testing before chipping.

I'm glad it was that simple to fix, and Rails can't really be blamed for this hiccup.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Sound fitted D1 arrived today 😀.

IMG_9137.jpeg.073569297a9a41160578d4bbd106ad52.jpeg

IMG_9138.jpeg.1151b8720830e309324577e9f6c3a559.jpeg

IMG_9139.jpeg.d408e3aa0602a3cf6bdead177afd2dd7.jpeg

IMG_9140.jpeg.917ce52b482133ca5757fdf71b31ee2d.jpeg

IMG_9141.jpeg.e0c60fca2e16c64fe01b80b090a9b3d4.jpeg

IMG_9142.jpeg.8be31a50bae19cf45164f7e350b06ca4.jpeg

just tested it and all works fine - the sound functionality is impressive.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 5