Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

As Covkid has said, there are issues with the combinations of body side 'strip', steps, nose doors, boiler ports etc. which limit the models that can't be portrayed. Hornby's current 31 139 does somewhat answer the calls for a proper 1970's model however, but the bodyside 'strip' is not well defined in the tooling.

Many aficionados would argue that the Lima 31 got the basic body shape better than the Hornby model, and I can see what they mean. The Hornby model looks a little flat fronted to me, yet it does capture the bulk of the loco well. See West Halton Sidings page for the work he has done on some Lima models, including using the Hornby mechanism / bogies etc.

If one already has a Hornby 31 I can understand resistance to buy new. However, if you are looking for one then the Accurascale model is likely to be a no brainer given it's myriad of tooling options, not to mention the considerably cheaper RRP compared to what is now an 'old' model.

Cameron

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

However, if you are looking for one then the Accurascale model is likely to be a no brainer given it's myriad of tooling options

And that's the point we always endeavour to make. It's not about replacing existing models (which are often well loved and modelled, or hold sentimental value), it's about making your next new purchase from our range.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

compared to what is now an 'old' model

Well, that also describes me and (I dare say) some others on this forum...!

But you know what they say about jokes generally - the old ones are the best!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

If one already has a Hornby 31 I can understand resistance to buy new. However, if you are looking for one then the Accurascale model is likely to be a no brainer given it's myriad of tooling options, not to mention the considerably cheaper RRP

Well, if I wanted a second Class 31 (not sure that I do yet), then you are right, I would go for Accurascale, especially if there is an option to have it with P4 wheels.

I agree ,

I have 3 Hornby blue ones - they are super smooth even with the fans and i really like them generally , but things move on .

The pick up mechanism and back to backs are complete toss though , as they short my peco bullhead points ( sorted by bodge ),

However , i want an EWS one and at that price it's well worth giving the new boy a try !

• RMweb Gold
On 11/08/2023 at 15:08, 97406 said:

It’s the chance to have this fugly variant on the layout too. 

31432 Blackpool North

Picture from Roddy McPhee’s Flickr page.

Yes

yes..

let me say yes again..

did i say yes ?

i mean how can it be no one has made a new model of this exact livery variant this century ?

its boggling that it was ignored, given how mundane every day 31 this was.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 10/07/2023 at 18:03, McC said:

Right now, th plan is that the Ready 30 will have accurathrash fitted. IF we sort the Mirlees file, then we'll likely add that variation and allow customers to upgrade should they wish. 

Looks as though a sound option has become available. @McC Is this the project that will enable a sound upgrade?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Looks as though a sound option has become available. @McC Is this the project that will enable a sound upgrade?

Unrelated to the option we are working on 

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 16/08/2023 at 19:54, zr2498 said:

Very interesting project, and it is worth remembering that the auxilliaries of the Brush type two were retained when the 12 SVT was dropped in in place of the Mirrlees lump.  That said the lights on the ends of the loco were red tail lights only, and during BR green and early blue, only one would be lit. Any light for forward progress came from the headcode blinds, superceded by the domino vinyls. It would be early to mid 1980s when both tail lights came on together and then high intensity headlights started to be fitted. 

During the green period all the way up until the early 1980s the radiator fan was shaft driven off the free end of the engine with no clutch. Not absolutely sure but I think the 31s were fitted with a thermostatically controlled magnetic clutch like the class 37s, which stopped the fan from turning when the loco was at temperature.  Not sure whether Biff has caught the sound when the clutch kicks in - a kind of metallic squeal for a couple of seconds as the static fan shaft becomes magnetically attracted to the constantly spinning driveshaft from the engine.

Obviously this will be relevant to the Accurascale models

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I've commented on the video that sounds like a starter motor being used start the engine, when the generator was used. A consequence of them using the 37/9 file. Not sure if that is something that can be changed/improved. Unsure what was changed besides the engine when converted.

Neil.

Edited by zoomer1979
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I echo what others have said in recent posts about hopes for the sound files on these, although was impressed with what we've heard so far on the June 16 update, and the earlier YouTube video of sound recording from 97205 on the C&PR when the model was announced.

However, one of the criticisms of the Refurbished Class 37 sound files is the absence of a proper cold start sequence. English Electric engines can be a pig to start when cold, and what I'd really like to see on the DCC Sound fitted versions of these is a lengthy and preferably playable cold start sequence. For those of us with depot-based layouts, this is a must have.

Although this will be absolute heresy to some, the Hornby TTS version (I believe recorded from 31206) is not half bad imho -  all that's lacking is the dense fog of clag produced at the same time - as per attached brief mp3 just using the primer (F15) followed by the cold start and main engine start (F9 and F1). This is from a Hornby 97204 fitted with a Rail Exclusive speaker in place of the rubbish that the TTS decoder came with. Note also how on this decoder the primer (F15) is playable before activating F1, essential but not available on some decoders, and the whole sequence can last as long as you like.

I'm a huge fan of Jamie Goodman sound files, and I believe I'm correct in saying that he did the recordings for the forthcoming Accurascale 31. If so, let's also have a really impressive cold start sequence please.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Accepting that any Mirrlees engined versions will of necessity have compromises in the sound files, I will seriously look at upgrading my 30/31 when it arrives. In the meantime, I have an earlier Hornby "skinhead" and a later headcode fitted version, both now with Mirrlees engine sounds derived from the 37/9 recordings. The original one came about from a challenge I accidentally set Bryan from Howes, so I got the first one of those released on a LokSound v3.5. Bif has now done the improved version for LokSound 5 decoders quite independently, and I bought the sound project from him only a week ago, but it does sound good with a half decent speaker wedged under the butchered fan mechanism (25 x 25 x7 speaker from Roads and Rails - they are good speakers, it's the size that is limited by the Hornby chassis design). I assume the sounds from the Accurascale version will be even better, not least because of the space for their really good speaker setup.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2023 at 19:54, zr2498 said:

Was that the sound recording of a Mirrlees Class 37/9 being used?

Just curious to know.

On 27/08/2023 at 22:06, tlm said:

I'm a huge fan of Jamie Goodman sound files, and I believe I'm correct in saying that he did the recordings for the forthcoming Accurascale 31. If so, let's also have a really impressive cold start sequence please.

With smoke effects too? 😁

Parental Advisory: Explicit language

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, R. Knowles said:

Was that the sound recording of a Mirrlees Class 37/9 being used?

Just curious to know.

Yes, if you click on the 'watch on youtube' it gives the desciption of how it was done.

Here is part of the wording:

image.png.8b0c10b0fd6d392d5986b0d2a7277d2b.png

On 19/08/2023 at 15:33, Covkid said:

Very interesting project, and it is worth remembering that the auxilliaries of the Brush type two were retained when the 12 SVT was dropped in in place of the Mirrlees lump.  That said the lights on the ends of the loco were red tail lights only, and during BR green and early blue, only one would be lit. Any light for forward progress came from the headcode blinds, superceded by the domino vinyls. It would be early to mid 1980s when both tail lights came on together and then high intensity headlights started to be fitted. 

During the green period all the way up until the early 1980s the radiator fan was shaft driven off the free end of the engine with no clutch. Not absolutely sure but I think the 31s were fitted with a thermostatically controlled magnetic clutch like the class 37s, which stopped the fan from turning when the loco was at temperature.  Not sure whether Biff has caught the sound when the clutch kicks in - a kind of metallic squeal for a couple of seconds as the static fan shaft becomes magnetically attracted to the constantly spinning driveshaft from the engine.

Obviously this will be relevant to the Accurascale models

Only the 31/4s had the electromagnetic clutch when converted, very different to the class 37 but the principles are the same.  All the Network Rail 31s had the clutch fitted at there last overhaul in 2007 plus a pre heater ( 31105, 31233, 31465 & 31285) 

• Thanks 1

• Tempfix

At risk of looking an idiot (I know...too late), may I ask a flange squeal question? Might be someone on here could explain this at my level or someone from Accurascale if you have a chance.

So, I understand the principle - sensor above bogie detects rotation and plays in the flange squeal noise on the sound fitted examples. Two questions I suppose: is this adjustable by either angle or speed? i.e. for those of use with a few unavoidable trainset radius curves, is it going to squeal on every corner if the sound is on even at line speed with a full train? Or does this only kick in at lower speeds when shunting through points? Since most of us have points that are much shorter radius than most in the big world. Could one adjust the settings so that the squeal only occurred when under a certain speed? Or tweak the angle that the trigger detects at?

Thanks for any ideas. Thinking of this and the 50.

Rich