Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I can't see it on the 31s, that's what I am getting at. It tells you it's sold out, then also still has the pre order button (which takes you to an empty cart) but no alert option.

Screenshot_20231119_083720_Chrome.jpg.e068195edacdb6d6bf68ba3d38882ab6.jpg

Good point! I’ll update those templates 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Preordered the SYE class 30, and maybe I could fit sound later on since there are sound decoders available by legomanbiffo and others. I wonder how accurate the sounds are though--of course it wouldn't be 100% accurate but I am not sure how close they are.

If a SYE Class 31 get announced, maybe this would be a good opportunity to have both of them side-by-side too.

13 minutes ago, BrakeCoach said:

Preordered the SYE class 30, and maybe I could fit sound later on since there are sound decoders available by legomanbiffo and others. I wonder how accurate the sounds are though--of course it wouldn't be 100% accurate but I am not sure how close they are.

If a SYE Class 31 get announced, maybe this would be a good opportunity to have both of them side-by-side too.

Pretty sure Accurascale will have decoders to buy later. If you do go “third party”, I’d still suggest ESU. They’re not my personal favourite, but Accurascale design their electronics around ESU, so always the “safe” choice

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, philg said:

Pretty sure Accurascale will have decoders to buy later. If you do go “third party”, I’d still suggest ESU. They’re not my personal favourite, but Accurascale design their electronics around ESU, so always the “safe” choice

Absolutely, as with previous models, we'll be offering Sound chips and preprogrammed Lokpilots (silent chips) in time for the models landing. 

1 hour ago, McC said:

Absolutely, as with previous models, we'll be offering Sound chips and preprogrammed Lokpilots (silent chips) in time for the models landing. 

Wish you’d got ore-orders for decoders. I’d snap your hand off (in a nice way) for a class 66 one 😉

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, philg said:

Wish you’d got ore-orders for decoders. I’d snap your hand off (in a nice way) for a class 66 one 😉

They’ll be in stock just before the locos land never fear 👍

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, McC said:

Apoligies if i missed them but were class 92 sound decoders available? Ive got 2 that need them.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, SulzerPeak said:

Apoligies if i missed them but were class 92 sound decoders available? Ive got 2 that need them.

The 92 chips were provided by Legomanbiffo. You should be able to purchase one from his outlets that will

work out of the box and the 92 has the accurathrash speaker built in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McC said:

Including the class 30 specs? I thought it was not possible to get 100% accurate ones. IIRC legomanbiffo has made them for AS models but would they be on sale in the AS website as well?

• RMweb Gold

Per a recent update we will have Class 30

sound files on offer also. 

The class 92 license precluded non OEM sales (meaning we could factory install but not sell separately ). Only the first run Class 92 is different in this way. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

43 minutes ago, McC said:

Per a recent update we will have Class 30

sound files on offer also. 

The class 92 license precluded non OEM sales (meaning we could factory install but not sell separately ). Only the first run Class 92 is different in this way. 

Thanks for the info👍

• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2023 at 17:59, philg said:

Everything else has had a GM power unit fitted so we may aswell have a 31 going ying ying..............:)

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
  • Funny 3

Is anyone else curious about where Accurascale are getting their Mirrlees engine sounds from? I've been searching for a good while and the only genuine one I've heard is a couple of seconds on a British Transport Film. Surely that's not enough to go on. Any clues?

Neil.

5 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

Is anyone else curious about where Accurascale are getting their Mirrlees engine sounds from? I've been searching for a good while and the only genuine one I've heard is a couple of seconds on a British Transport Film. Surely that's not enough to go on. Any clues?

Neil.

Shhhhh don't tell any one....accurascale have access to the national rail reserves at a secret cave installation where 20 withdraw 31s have been retro fitted with mirrlees power packs and are painted in WD grey...all modernisation locos where EMP shielded.....shhh don't tell any one! Model in this livery due in shops end of first quarter or start of 2nd quarter 2024! Wink 😉 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

23 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

They are out there if you know where to look. Sounds can be sampled and oversampled and generated to replicate the originals both digitally and genuine. 👍👍😉😉

But it does help if the Mirrlees engine is "motored" to start it using the Brush main generator.  No starter motors spinning the flywheel need to be employed in the making of the Class 30 sound files !!!🙂

Not suggesting for one minute that Accurascale would stoop to such levels, but the only real answer is to locate a JV12whatever in running order, and try and make it sound like it is inside a steel box with exhaust thrash coming out the exhaust ports.

Obviously possible to add in all the auxilliary noises like exhausters, compressors, cab door slams and AWS dingalings etc  

EDIT

The point about this is - I was born in 1962 in a city a few miles away from class 30 / 31 action, and they were all reengined before I started wearing long trousers. I didn't see and hear my first class 31 until 1977 at York, when I realised back then that they sounded very much like a sleepy class 37.  They of course were a derated 1470hp non intercooled version of the 1750hp class 37 lump.

So just how many people on here actually do seriously remember what the sounded like with a Mirrlees lump in them .

Edited by Covkid
Edit
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I read most of the Mireless engines removed from Class 30s where sold for marine use. 

I believe the only reason the Class 31 didn’t get the 12CSVT was down to the limitation of the Brush main generator. BR apparently priced up replacing the Brush main Generator, and allow fitment of the 12CSVT (as fitted to the 37) to make them into a Type 3, but the cost was too high. Hence receiving the 12SVT rated to match the Brush main generator. 

Edited by richierich
  • Informative/Useful 3