BR Dia. 1/227 'VIX' Ferry Van

rapidoandy

My pair arrived today. Wonderfully detailed though was surprised to see Hornby's old version next to them was to scale though obviously lacking all the modern separate details. Buffers are sprung.

The only snag is a tendency to derail. Maybe the long wheelbase and rigid chassis asks for perfectly flat track, or they were fighting with the Bachmann vans in the same rake.

Some pictures, the first several comparing Rapido to Hornby.

VIX01.jpg

VIX02.jpg

VIX03.jpg

VIX04.jpg

VIX05.jpg

VIX06.jpg

VIX07.jpg

VIX08.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

A few more pics.

I think derailments occur due to interactions between these vans Close Coupling System and other long vans (including other VIXs) which either have the same close coupling system or pivoting axles. I guess I will need to use Roco style couplings on these.

They behave perfectly on their own or with traditional small van stock (like the VEAs).

VIX09.jpg

VIX10.jpg

VIX11.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 16/02/2023 at 22:14, Fat Controller said:

They were used on the Leith workings from Haverton Hill in the early 1980s.

You reminded me that we caught this working on video with barrier wagons in 1983 at Ferryhill with a class 40. See here at 47.35.

Edited by aureol40012
  • Like 5

Finally received my trio of Rapido Ferry Vans, and I must say, I am very pleased with them. The level of detail (including underneath) is excellent. I am particularly pleased that the vans are not only fitted with close-coupling cams, but correctly fitted - on too many OO models with cams, the pockets are too high or too far inboard, or the cams are too loose. Not so with Rapido's vans, and I hope that Rapido will similarly fit more of their models (I understand that the B-sets will be so fitted).

20230302_144001.jpg.289043bf26bff0705c13412837b5fa2f.jpg

Two Rapido ferry vans, coupled with factroy fitted tension lock couplers, with the usual big gap.

20230302_144030.jpg.61651e158185ffd21a13465dd452bf0c.jpg

And here coupled using standard Roco couplers.

20230302_144109.jpg.12f194ecf68011178cd5dd0b55849e6f.jpg

The inevitable comparison to a Hornby ferry van (body lowered, axles de-pivoted, Fleischmann close-coupling mechanisms with Roco couplers fitted).

20230302_144131.jpg.3311acbc3042159d889c69bfe2af103b.jpg

The Old and the New (the former now to be retired).

20230302_153623.jpg.09cfafc8799630af38f0eb8c7467bb89.jpg

SLW Class 24 with Rapido Ferry Van.

I have run the vans around my track (includes tight hidden curves), and reversed them into sidings through reverse-curve Peco medium points, with no prblems. I did have to put a wee drop of oil into the axles boxes as the axles on two of the vans were squeaking and scraping a little bit.

Just a pity that no-one has ever brough out models of these vans in H0 scale.... come on, Rapido, you could be the first!

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A fine model although obviously the down side to all the fine detail is that it’s a lot more fragile . Mine had a buffer that had fallen out in the box. Holding it whilst weathering and fitting screw links was nerve wracking! I’ve weighted mine slightly over each axel using self adhesive wheel balancing weights. 
The young pretender and the original. 

87678310-0716-4A74-B497-A505F4ED0CF0.jpeg

951F721D-0021-4E74-9BFA-4B7641417AD5.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Some photos of the Satlink version. This van was repainted 20 May 1989 and photographed at Millerhill on 3 August 1989. 

573201295_KDB787210SatlinkRapidoTrainsUK9100121.jpg.bc3ee94b052658dc8e617f9fd518c12b.jpg

1476721664_KDB787210SatlinkRapidoTrainsUK9100122.jpg.18d9d26d3d1f7e051e95597c7dd5dfe8.jpg

1211378839_KDB787210SatlinkRapidoTrainsUK9100123.jpg.d668c25a0ee3f70e93e76a3162aeba7a.jpg

I hadn't realised they would be modelled with opening door. 

Paul

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 19/02/2023 at 20:00, Pillar said:

I've managed to spring mine using the Dave Bradwell springing plates etch. It seems to work well so far and runs freely over P4 pointwork.

My steps were as follows:

1. Remove the protruding collars on the rear surface of the W-irons and smooth the surface with fine grit emery paper.
  2. Bore out the existing bearing holes to be deeper and wider; first using a 2mm drill, then 2.5mm. Depth is not critical, but care is needed not to bore all the way through to the axlebox detail. This is to give room for the new brass bearings to move up and down.
  3. To prevent lateral slop and restrict the bearing carriers to move up and down only, fold four U-shaped sections of 0.45mm wire so that the distance between the inner edges of the vertical members is 5mm (i.e. the width of a Bradwell bearing carrier). Glue these to the backs of the plastic W-irons, making sure they are centered; thin superglue is ideal. Trim off any excess length of the verticals.
  4. Glue in plasticard rests for the springs either side of each W-iron. At one end of the wagon there is an extra rib in the underframe which will foul the spring unless an opening is made in it.
  5. Make up four Bradwell bearing carriers with brass top hat bearings and spring wire. Then file the bearing back so that the overall thickness of the carrier+bearing is about 1.2mm. This is to minimise the chance of the bearing clashing with the inside of the plastic axlebox. In this process the inner pinpoint of the bearing is lost, but I found that they still work fine with plain-ended 1mm axles of appropriate length.
  6. For wheels, I used Exactoscales fitted to 1mm axles. I started with their 25mm plain ended axles, but to get a good fit I ended up filing them back to about 23.9mm.

Hopefully this may be of use.

Cheers,

Liam

VIX 1.jpg

Thanks Liam, for such an informative post. I’m looking to convert mine to P4, so you’ve given me a head start. I notice that you’ve removed the brake gear. Others have suggested chamfering the back of the brake shoes for EM or P4. Are you planning to reposition the brake hangers and shoes? If so, are the yokes wide enough?

Best wishes

David

6 minutes ago, dmsmith said:

Thanks Liam, for such an informative post. I’m looking to convert mine to P4, so you’ve given me a head start. I notice that you’ve removed the brake gear. Others have suggested chamfering the back of the brake shoes for EM or P4. Are you planning to reposition the brake hangers and shoes? If so, are the yokes wide enough?

Best wishes

David

Hi David. I removed the brake yokes planning to refit them, but I ended up damaging them. I'll probably replace with some etches therefore.

I don't think the yokes are quite wide enough for P4, but they would probably look and work fine if the brakes were chamfered as you say.

• Informative/Useful 2

A few more pics after I received a VGA to add to the rake. The VIXs no longer derail now that they are not coupled to the other Bachmann long wheel base vans (nor to each other).

The maybe the close coupling system has also had time to run itself in too...

VIX12.jpg

VIX13.jpg

VIX14.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, JSpencer said:

A few more pics after I received a VGA to add to the rake. The VIXs no longer derail now that they are not coupled to the other Bachmann long wheel base vans (nor to each other).

The maybe the close coupling system has also had time to run itself in too...

I found that my VIX/RBX don't like the Bachmann OBA/VDA type chassis if the Bachmann axles are allowed to articulate. When coupled to models which I've modified to keep the axles in alignment I have had no issues (touch wood). I put it entirely down to the Bachmann solution not being ideal rather than the VIX as nothing else I have presents a problem. My Bachmann AB stock are about 50/50 modified and this just gives me motivation to finish off the job as a few other wagons aren't too happy with them either; unless there are Kadees involved. I've been testing on a circuit which involves the inside route of setrack curved turnout crossovers and subsequent second radius curves which is not unknown to trip up a surprising number of models, so I know I'm being a bit cruel on them.

Looking forward to the other RBX arriving, these vans are sublime...now if only someone were to take on the PWA vans... 😉

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2023 at 20:13, Pillar said:

Hi David. I removed the brake yokes planning to refit them, but I ended up damaging them. I'll probably replace with some etches therefore.

I don't think the yokes are quite wide enough for P4, but they would probably look and work fine if the brakes were chamfered as you say.

Thank you! I was asking because I couldn’t see a way to remove them without causing damage. You’ve reaffirmed my original view, although I’m sorry that you had to find out the hard way. 

Best wishes

David

On 06/03/2023 at 20:55, Zunnan said:

I found that my VIX/RBX don't like the Bachmann OBA/VDA type chassis if the Bachmann axles are allowed to articulate. When coupled to models which I've modified to keep the axles in alignment I have had no issues (touch wood). I put it entirely down to the Bachmann solution not being ideal rather than the VIX as nothing else I have presents a problem.

I have some Bachmann VBA vans which I have also de-pivoted the axles; it improves running - and especially shunting - greatly. I have also fitted close-coupling cams to them. They run well with my VIXs, using standard Roco couplers (not the long-shanked ones supplied by Hornby).

The tightest curves on my model railway are Roco R4, 48.1cm (19") radius on hidden curves. The tightest points are a pair of Peco medium radius turnouts in sidings, forming a reverse curve, and the close-coupled VIXs have presented no problems being pushed over those. Rapido have done very well with the close-coupling mechanics there; amonsgt the best (if not the best) on British-outline OO scale models.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Rapido have done very well with the close-coupling mechanics there; amonsgt the best (if not the best) on British-outline OO scale models.

I very much agree there. I think the Revolution/Kernow IZA still just about wins on the kinematic couplers, I feel they are more lightly sprung and yet feel a bit more positive. There is some stiff competition, but I think to date the VIX is probably the best overall RTR 00 wagon on the market. Some have a claim in one aspect or another, but overall the VIX is pretty much the complete package.

I'm glad the Bachmann VEAs are as good as they turned out, otherwise you could almost say the Rapido ferry vans are too good. Its all a far cry from using the Hornby class 25 with the old VIX and VEA also from the red box stable way back then.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 21/02/2023 at 19:19, Enterprisingwestern said:

PXL_20230221_140708087.jpg.6ecf309f803cc2b144b3283356eb7af7.jpg

Free "proto Yorkshireman" conversion to EM by dint of rubbing the front and back of the existing wheels down on a sheet of emery paper and chamfering the inner edge of the brake blocks down.

That coughing and spluttering you can hear is from the direction of the EMGS!

Mike.

If you're a real Yorkshire man I assume the wheel sets were purchased secondhand!

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, w124bob said:

Can anyone confirm whether the Railfreight barrier version is in stock or is it still in transit?

Not sure if this relates to yours, but see the message from Rapido on page 5 of the thread about two wagons being held back due to errors. One was in Railfreight livery.

20 hours ago, BR(S) said:

Not sure if this relates to yours, but see the message from Rapido on page 5 of the thread about two wagons being held back due to errors. One was in Railfreight livery.

Just had an email from Rapido , the Railfreight barrier version is one of the two with issues so I'm happy to wait now. I thought I'd missed something in the order process.