Dapol OO Gauge Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

I should imagine the cost of doing this is marginal, afterall if they have to tool & paint a filler piece, doing it to a slightly larger one isnt a huge impact.

I think this was a nice innovation by Hattons.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I think this was a nice innovation by Hattons.

Heljan O5's have a plug in buffer plank. Thing is they don't do a matching plank with a filled in coupling hole. It's to provide for different toolings of planks fitted to the same chassis block. To use three links or screws after filling the aperture, I then had to bolt (16BA) the plank to the chassis to stop it pulling off  (oh-er missus!) every time it took up load.

Hlt05Medelling-052-Sm.jpg.52c208b947e206ed224a3450dcb87f06.jpg

On 26/11/2022 at 21:31, Adam FW said:

I don’t think Dapol have released the livery artwork for their 0-4-0ST Hawthorn Leslies yet but they had these handy print outs on their Warley stand showing the livery options.

image.png.ed6fde0e1070e2e250872b43959ff67c.png

image.png.cdd0cfd09f2bdc75047e25080db42ea3.png

image.png.aa46697a094374944546e67ec52dee53.png

It does say on the bottom of one of the sheets that these are artwork evaluations, so they may not be final

On 27/11/2022 at 00:14, 37079 said:

The second black one is black park colliery Spider - originally listed as green.

Mike

And Wallaby is now red, presumably because this was an in-service livery rather than the blue 'plinth-livery' announced.

But that's good to know with regards to Spider, especially as the Dapol website has not updated the announced liveries. I pre-ordered Spider because  it was one of the older prototypes, and I had hoped for a lined green. Unlined locos are not really for me and, while I'm forced to make an exception for GER goods locos, I see absolutely no attraction in unlined black for a small industrial. Much of the attraction of these contractors and industrial types, for me, is in the attractive, often elaborate, schemes in which they were decorated.  

Next best option for me is Henry, which will nicely contrast physically with Invincible by having an open back cab. I wonder, then, if those nice people at Hattons will let me change my pre-order?  

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Next best option for me is Henry, which will nicely contrast physically with Invincible by having an open back cab. I wonder, then, if those nice people at Hattons will let me change my pre-order?  

If you access your account on-line, it's simple, just pre-order your new choice and cancel the original one.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

If you access your account on-line, it's simple, just pre-order your new choice and cancel the original one.

Thanks!

I did not foresee difficulty, Hattons have always been faultlessly helpful when dealing with this analogue middle-aged customer, but It's the first time I have had occasion to seek a change, so delighted by that answer!

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2022 at 08:31, Adam FW said:

I don’t think Dapol have released the livery artwork for their 0-4-0ST Hawthorn Leslies yet but they had these handy print outs on their Warley stand showing the livery options.

It does say on the bottom of one of the sheets that these are artwork evaluations, so they may not be final

As an Australian I'm happy to see Dapol have altered the livery on Wallaby from the stuffed and mounted preservation paint job to the maroon livery which was worn in service.  I'll be getting one despite the difference between HO and OO.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve got one of these on order at my local shop in the hope that they’ll do a Marston, Thompson and Evershed one in the next run.  The nameplate on the CADs and the example at GETS seems to be the right shape.  

On 22/01/2023 at 21:32, Bomp said:

I’ve got one of these on order at my local shop in the hope that they’ll do a Marston, Thompson and Evershed one in the next run.  The nameplate on the CADs and the example at GETS seems to be the right shape.  

They're apparently an exclusive over at Platform in Kidderminster.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2022 at 22:31, Adam FW said:

I wonder which of these would be most fitting for a GWR based layout without invoking rule 1? 🙃

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, THS92-GWR-NO said:

I wonder which of these would be most fitting for a GWR based layout without invoking rule 1? 🙃

None are appropriate without modification. The GWR (at least by the time of nationalisation) had four Hawthorne Leslie 0-4-0STs, but only two remained in a condition anything like the Dapol model as illustrated. No fancy paint or lining though, plain green at best but probably black for much of their service lives.

The GWR almost universally altered acquired engines by replacing original fittings with ones of Swindon design.  

However, two look close enough to be adapted from the Dapol ones with only a modest amount of alteration. Check out ex-Swansea Harbour Trust No.1144 and ex-Powlesland & Mason (another dock operator) No.942 (renumbered 1153 in 1950).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

However, two look close enough to be adapted from the Dapol ones with only a modest amount of alteration. Check out ex-Swansea Harbour Trust No.1144 and ex-Powlesland & Mason (another dock operator) No.942 (renumbered 1153 in 1950).

Does it have to be in GWR ownership?  Over all but a tiny fraction of the GWR you'd be far more likely to see a privately owned industrial working in private sidings, or even running over GWR metals where that was authorised.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Does it have to be in GWR ownership?  Over all but a tiny fraction of the GWR you'd be far more likely to see a privately owned industrial working in private sidings, or even running over GWR metals where that was authorised.

No, but something from what would be GWR territory in the 20s and 30s :) 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

I was just replying to the earlier post and have no idea if any of the industrial users covered were based in GWR territory.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Both Faraday (Newport Corporation) and Spider (Black Park Colliery, Chirk) would appear to be suitable.

Thanks! 
Finding a list of companys that had them has been difficult, as I haven't found any good lists of users. Most can be found on wikipedia, but not in this case 😅

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, THS92-GWR-NO said:

Thanks! 
Finding a list of companys that had them has been difficult, as I haven't found any good lists of users. Most can be found on wikipedia, but not in this case 😅

TBH the model descriptions on retailer's sites tell you the names and most of the locations of the owning companies of the prototypes chosen by Dapol.  A list of other users wouldn't tell you the detail differences or liveries anyway, if it's important to you to have a model of an actual prototype.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

TBH the model descriptions on retailer's sites tell you the names and most of the locations of the owning companies of the prototypes chosen by Dapol.  A list of other users wouldn't tell you the detail differences or liveries anyway, if it's important to you to have a model of an actual prototype.

Fair point, for me it is important to find something that will go well along a GWR scene - such as delivering to a GWR yard for a mixed freight / stopping freight. Thanks for the tip of what models would work :) 

16 hours ago, THS92-GWR-NO said:

Fair point, for me it is important to find something that will go well along a GWR scene - such as delivering to a GWR yard for a mixed freight / stopping freight. Thanks for the tip of what models would work :) 

You could have it working the exchange sidings of a colliery or as a dockyard shunter where you are bound to have GWR and privately owned locomotives mingling due to the lines converging.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, David Stannard said:

You could have it working the exchange sidings of a colliery or as a dockyard shunter where you are bound to have GWR and privately owned locomotives mingling due to the lines converging.

Yeah :) 
And seeing as I'm not native to the UK many names that makes sence to you guys, I struggle with placing. So glad to get the hint about who could possibly be good livery candidates :) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, THS92-GWR-NO said:

And seeing as I'm not native to the UK many names that makes sence to you guys, I struggle with placing. So glad to get the hint about who could possibly be good livery candidates :) 

I guessed that was probably the case.  Actually, there are actually several Newports of various kinds and I'm crossing my fingers that the Newport with its own corporation power station is the big one in South Wales and not one of the others.  And Chirk isn't the kind of place that is internationally famous unless you are a serious Dapol fan (and I had to look up which railway it was on).

• Informative/Useful 1

for a fairly generic 

21 hours ago, THS92-GWR-NO said:

For a fairly generic Hawthorn Leslie you might be best off with FARADAY.  

Les