Dapol OO Gauge Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

I cant unsee this buffer beam.

it seems very retrograde to hack a gap like that.

Hattons with the 66 showed the possibilities… just have a swappable bufferbeam.

Failing that Heljan offer a “plug” for the gap.

Afterall else, give it a coupling shape that has a raised drophead.

Gouging a gap into it like that, whats the thought behind that, no one would notice ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I cant unsee this buffer beam.

it seems very retrograde to hack a gap like that.

Hattons with the 66 showed the possibilities… just have a swappable bufferbeam.

Failing that Heljan offer a “plug” for the gap.

Afterall else, give it a coupling shape that has a raised drophead.

Gouging a gap into it like that, whats the thought behind that, no one would notice ?

Alternative beams would be ideal, and blanking pieces a decent "Plan B", but I'm hoping that once I've binned the NEM gubbins, the draft-boxes of the Kadees I'll be fitting might sit neatly in the recess.

If I were using T/Ls or Sprats, I'd be fitting goalposts; it should be easy enough to fill the gap and retouch the buffer beam.

I suspect, though, that the vast majority of these will stay just the way they come out of their boxes.

Seeing these pics, I rather fell for the semi-open cab, and ordered the lined black Henry  this morning, rather than Invincible which was what I intended. Still might end up with both.....😉 

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, gpplumy said:

this seems rather... Bright

526d2fcedbad612f89dde95bb6b6e397.png

This model, whatever the shade of green might well be the tipping point that forces me to add an industrial exchange siding to the layout - the model looks just right and has a real presence 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Respite said:

I agree, Asbestos and Faraday seem very bright. I recall Faraday before it was scrapped and it was a darker green. The NCB locos in the North East used a darker blue than is on No.8 and I suspect the P.L.A. loco should be darker also, and should be a shade more like the Golden Valley PLA Janus diesel.

Both of these have had the green darkened. Really hope it come off OK on the next samples.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

+1 for me on Singapore…

a very well travelled loco. I saw it in London at a D Day event I think circa 2004.

i’m not even sure how this loco came back from singapore… afterall it was just a damaged piece of industrial equipment with low value taking space on a highly valuable cargo ship back to the UK, to a country that wasnt exactly short of similar locos.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

+1 for me on Singapore…

a very well travelled loco. I saw it in London at a D Day event I think circa 2004.

i’m not even sure how this loco came back from singapore… afterall it was just a damaged piece of industrial equipment with low value taking space on a highly valuable cargo ship back to the UK, to a country that wasnt exactly short of similar locos.

for those of you who have never heard of singapore and have no idea what were talking about https://www.rocks-by-rail.org/exhibit/hl-3865-singapore/

SINGAPORE-16th-OCTOBER-2016-by-AG_1024x678.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, gpplumy said:

for those of you who have never heard of singapore and have no idea what were talking about https://www.rocks-by-rail.org/exhibit/hl-3865-singapore/

SINGAPORE-16th-OCTOBER-2016-by-AG_1024x678.jpg

The flags cover the shrapnel damage from a Japanese air raid on the British naval base in singapore where it was based.

it was later captured and used by the Japanese until liberation..

i’m not even sure if any other loco exists from Singapore, even of late the old railway station closed and trains moved to Woodland, but they were operated by KTM Malaysia for years anyway, though Malaysia do have some UK built EE type 1’s preserved, and the prototype 141 somewhere in the jungle.

in perspective, this little loco has done a 13000 mile round trip to the southern most point of asia, I think only 4472 and 4079 have gone further east and returned, and 4920 may be the only other one to beat it, if it ever returns.

But it is a living tribute to the British soldiers out in Singpore, whom after surrender to the Japanese were later marched 1000 miles north to build the Burma death railway… immortalised in “Bridge over the River Kwai”, and more recently “The Railway Man”, a true story, film with Colin Firth, i think every enthusiast should watch, as it puts ww2 in Asia, directly into context of our hobby through the eyes of a British soldier who is a railway enthusiast stationed in Singapore, and captured by the Japanese.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/07/2023 at 03:06, gpplumy said:

this seems rather... Bright

526d2fcedbad612f89dde95bb6b6e397.png

The thing that stands out to me and on the other models is that the base of the chimney should be black. In the colour renders they are. 

Cheers

Andy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I have NCB Number 8 and Invicible on pre-order. Number 8 is one of my least favorite colors for a locomotive (or anything else,) but it's NCB and I should be able to tone it down with some appropriately heavy weathering. Invincible is a suitable livery match to my Rapido Beatrice, so it's going to be drafted into colliery work too.

I don't need another one, but I was surprised at Spider's appeal.

Edited by JShow
Wording change.
  • Like 1

The sound fitted versions exist in most shops now and I just changed my order to that one. After the 0-4-0 Peckett and Barclay which do not lend themselves easy to DCC sound conversion, this will be a great change and fills a gap in my eventual Sheffied Park preserved layout that is currently being planned.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just to advise anyone who wanted to order the Footplate Models limited edition brewery loco and was told by their website that it was sold out, to try again, as they've upped the number available for sale.

It's not easy to find on their website - I had to search for "Hawthorn" and it was towards the bottom of the search results.

• RMweb Gold

Ive decided to walk back on my order for 3 this week, and wait and see instead.

i’m not happy with the bufferbeam and some colour renders. It looks like it will be back to the old fashioned metal bar between the bufferbeams for a coupling and fill/repaint the bufferbeam to be happy with it, as the keeper plate underneath looks quite substantial too… something the bufferbeam hole only accentuates as that huge block isnt under the real thing either.

Hornbys Peckett didnt have these constraints, neither did the 1980’s Dapol Pug (ok this had a motor in the cab, it was easily hidden).

I’m going to wait until I have one in my hands before decieding and see how it passes the viewing distance test.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, locoholic said:

Just to advise anyone who wanted to order the Footplate Models limited edition brewery loco and was told by their website that it was sold out, to try again, as they've upped the number available for sale.

It's not easy to find on their website - I had to search for "Hawthorn" and it was towards the bottom of the search results.

This, hopefully, might be a direct link to it:

https://footplate.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=512_529&products_id=8123

Not exactly promoting it on their website!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 03/10/2023 at 15:47, tractionman said:

just got a notification from Hattons, now due January 2024.

Hattons still saying January 2024.  Alo:  

Dapol OO Gauge Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST

This is your last chance to place a pre-order for Dapol's newly tooled "Hawthorn Leslie" locomotives! We are due to submit our final order quantities imminently, stock is very limited and we cannot guarantee your model unless it is pre-ordered now."

By the way, was "Invincible" at ine time at RAE Farnborough and then on the IoW line?

• RMweb Gold
On 18/07/2023 at 23:50, Respite said:

I agree, Asbestos and Faraday seem very bright. I recall Faraday before it was scrapped and it was a darker green. 

Faraday - or at least an ex-CEGB HL with that name - survives and is currently at Preston. http://ukprsl.uk/final-results.asp?action=display&Id=3089

Edited by papagolfjuliet

8 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

By the way, was "Invincible" at line time at RAE Farnborough and then on the IoW line?

8 hours ago, JShow said:

The website Preserved British Steam Locomotives indicates that Invincible was moved to Farnborough in 1955.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/hawthorn-leslie-works-no-3135-37-invincible-0-4-0st/

Invincible carried a green livery while at the RAE, not the Woolwich Arsenal livery that is presented on the model

• Informative/Useful 1

On 18/11/2023 at 22:50, 5Dublo2 said:

Invincible carried a green livery while at the RAE, not the Woolwich Arsenal livery that is presented on the model

She has carried the Woolwich Arsenal livery in recent years on the IOW though.  (I believe she’s going to be back in RAE green once she’s been overhauled, so maybe we’ll see a green model in future.)

• Like 1