Dapol OO Gauge Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0

AY Mod

It must be a symptom of something or other that this topic was halfway down page 2 and has seen no activity since November! Once upon a time we were more excited when small industrial locos hove into view. Perhaps it's that lately Dapol has presented us with an embarras des richesses

Dapol's website, so far as I can telI, last updated us on the Hawthorn Leslies in July last year, at which point it said "We expect these models to be in shops Q4 2023", so clearly that is out of date. I had these on pre-order with Hattons, the retailler at the point of demise was still showing them as due this month. Obviously I've re-ordered them now, but am curious as to whether anyone knows when they're due.

Please understand I'm simply trying to plan my budget here, and I'm not expressing impatience! It may be that they are already on a slow boat from China. Perhaps the houthis, bless their little jihadi socks, have sent them the long way round. Does anyone happen to know?

EDIT: Ahem, I may have answered my own question: Rails is showing "Expected Delivery Q2 2024"

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Edwardian said:

It must be a symptom of something or other that this topic was halfway down page 2 and has seen no activity since November! Once upon a time we were more excited when small industrial locos hove into view. Perhaps it's that lately Dapol has presented us with an embarras des richesses

Dapol's website, so far as I can telI, last updated us on the Hawthorn Leslies in July last year, at which point it said "We expect these models to be in shops Q4 2023", so clearly that is out of date. I had these on pre-order with Hattons, the retailler at the point of demise was still showing them as due this month. Obviously I've re-ordered them now, but am curious as to whether anyone knows when they're due.

Please understand I'm simply trying to plan my budget here, and I'm not expressing impatience! It may be that they are already on a slow boat from China. Perhaps the houthis, bless their little jihadi socks, have sent them the long way round. Does anyone happen to know?

EDIT: Ahem, I may have answered my own question: Rails is showing "Expected Delivery Q2 2024"

Apologies I didnt ask at Warley about delivery date, but they did say the ones on show were actuals, not samples… I assumed from that, that they must be close to being on their way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

The one I had on pre-order from Hattons before they unexpectedly shut up shop had an ETA of this month.

Chris KT

Mine too. But Rails is showing "Expected Delivery Q2 2024"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

May have been updated in the light of the Red Sea situation....

Shipping around the Cape is only adding approx 9 days to transit times 

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, johnd said:

It has greater impact than that with re-arranged dates to go into ports with stuff falling out of sync plus delayed return schedules. Talking to someone in an unconnected business a few days ago where most stock is Far East imports the reality is around a 3 week lag in ETAs into their warehouse.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, johnd said:

On a soingle voyage perhaps, but surely it also takes longer to get back to China for the next load, so cumulative delays will result in a shortage of available vessels, increased shipping costs etc,  Back to where we were with Ever Given.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

On a soingle voyage perhaps, but surely it also takes longer to get back to China for the next load, so cumulative delays will result in a shortage of available vessels, increased shipping costs etc,  Back to where we were with Ever Given.

Plus additional delays from rearranged berthing slots at either end of voyages.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, johnd said:

only

?!

That's a 50% percent increase - do the same to your commute and suspect you wouldn't use a diminutive but expletive!

In addition to Andy's points, it's worth bearing in mind the extra strain this puts on container terminals, and that increased transit times exacerbates the shortage of available containers. It's a big deal all round.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

At risk of upsetting someone here... I'm no expert on these but when photos of the first  painted samples were released, quite a lot of people were absolutely panning them - buffers were oversized, liveries inaccurate, various other complaints. Looking at the images now available, have these issues been addressed? They're cute locos but something about them looks off in the photos and I can't put my finger on what!

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, alexl102 said:

At risk of upsetting someone here... I'm no expert on these but when photos of the first  painted samples were released, quite a lot of people were absolutely panning them - buffers were oversized, liveries inaccurate, various other complaints. Looking at the images now available, have these issues been addressed? They're cute locos but something about them looks off in the photos and I can't put my finger on what!

Have there been any images of more recent models than the livery samples?  Any photos taken at shows almost certainly show the same items, problems and all.  We will probably have to wait for the production run to see what they have done with the liveries (and there will no doubt be review samples sent ahead).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David jennings said:

I’m very much looking forward to these. I’ve already accepted the major inaccuracy which we’ve all implicitly accepted - ie they run on 4ft 2 inch  gauge track. I would be really disappointed if a brave manufacturer were to take fright because a vocal minority (again) complained a rivet was too big, was missed, wasn’t there on the version that ran between 2.15pm and 2.45 pm on the 33rd of January 1932 etc etc etc.

It will be by some distance better than any current ready to run HL tank out there (if there is one) and better by far than any I could make

from a kit (e.g. High Level). 

Do you really think that's how it works? That because a "vocal minority" point out that something isn't right, the manufacturer runs off with their tail between their legs and bins months or years of design and marketing work?

RTR model manufacturers aren't all-knowing, despite what some people may think, and their researchers aren't infallible. Input from this so-called vocal minority can help the manufacturers to get things right before they go to production. Instead of whinging about them you really ought to be thanking them for helping both the manufacturer and we as modellers to get a more accurate model by freely giving their time and knowledge for the benefit of others.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, David jennings said:

I’m very much looking forward to these. I’ve already accepted the major inaccuracy which we’ve all implicitly accepted - ie they run on 4ft 2 inch  gauge track. I would be really disappointed if a brave manufacturer were to take fright because a vocal minority (again) complained a rivet was too big, was missed, wasn’t there on the version that ran between 2.15pm and 2.45 pm on the 33rd of January 1932 etc etc etc.

It will be by some distance better than any current ready to run HL tank out there (if there is one) and better by far than any I could make

from a kit (e.g. High Level). 

It is that kind of 'I don't care about errors / omissions' that encourages manufacturers to take shortcuts with product accuracy.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, alexl102 said:

Dapol having livery inaccuracies is all too common so I wouldn't hold out on that 

On 22/01/2024 at 19:12, cctransuk said:

It is that kind of 'I don't care about errors / omissions' that encourages manufacturers to take shortcuts with product accuracy.

CJI.

I don't have that many pics of 14" Hawthorns in the collection taken by me- though I could get a generous few dozen more from the books in the other room.

Looking at my own collection (about 10 or so images of different locos) I can confidently say this about the details on these.

No two were the same.

Not only that, but one Durham County NCB loco seems to have swapped its saddle tank between the two pics I took of it....    Errors and omissions?  These are industrial locos, which with very few exceptions never went back to their place of manufacture for an overhaul and didn't take long to gain embellishments or lose bits.  A class of 50 identical locos leaving works would become 50 individuals before they were ten years old.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

What is the latest on these?  Stuck going round the Cape?

First sighting in the Channel of new Dapol product deliveries:

Jack_Spurling_-_ARIEL_&_TAEPING,_China_T

[Ariel and Taeping, by Jack Spurling - vallejogallery.com, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=14917880, embedded link.]

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 22/01/2024 at 19:12, cctransuk said:

CJI.

I can live with some things, but its the rectangular chunk missing from the bufferbeam that gets me… and that debate goes back 2 years ago on this thread.

Dapol do seem to make unusual choices… putting the rear cab wall tooling as a lip onto the cab roof, rather than finishing under it on the terrier was another odd decision.

Still its better than another manufacturer, whom just seem to invent some aspects.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I can live with some things, but its the rectangular chunk missing from the bufferbeam that gets me… and that debate goes back 2 years ago on this thread.

Have you produced a design that allows for working UK couplings without a rectangular space to make room for them?

Looks like a UK compromise in line with the 4'1.5" gauge.....

Les

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Have you produced a design that allows for working UK couplings without a rectangular space to make room for them?

Looks like a UK compromise in line with the 4'1.5" gauge.....

Les

Another Dapol product… like the Pug ?

Hornbys Peckett seems ok, as does the Barclay.

challenges bring solutions.

my thoughts, if all else failed ( which I did share on this thread 2 years back), was make the whole bufferbeam a separately piece… like Hattons did with the 66..and have a second with the cut out.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

The prototype Hawthorn has a deeper bufferbeam than the prototype L&Y pug.  My Pecketts all had issues with coupler height- to the extent that I sold on both of the 0-4-0s, and the shank on the front coupling of the 0-6-0 has a distinct upwards bend, to the extent I've seen straighter bananas.

I'm not happy with detachable bufferbeam pieces after a moment at a show when a youngster piped up "hey Mr, is that diesel supposed to leave its buffers behind? - a Heljan Hunslet.

With an exhibition shunting plank using magnetically modified tension locks I prefer my couplers to all ride at the same height and be stable.  That way I don't need the hand in the sky.

Les