BRM - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Darius43

• Moderators

Yep, there was an oversight after a late change around of the images and page layout. The previous captions got overlooked at the last minute.

Credit for noticing that as some just look at the pictures. 😀

It's an immense layout and an amazing project by Andy; drawing up the trackplan from schematics and the images nearly drove me daft.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, meil said:

It's the Hadrian's wall edition. Apparently it can get quite boring patrolling the moors of Northumbria.

It sounds like this might be a case of: "Nil illegitimi carborundum."

Of course, I might be very much mistaken. Let's face it - I never did Latin at school.

No good asking me, I got 11% in the school end of year Latin exam and they transferred me to metalwork and tech drawing instead, which up to now had proved more useful when modelling. But looking at this maybe I should have stuck to the Latin. 

4 hours ago, meil said:

It's the Hadrian's wall edition. Apparently it can get quite boring patrolling the moors of Northumbria.

I took my A levels at a school on Hadrians wall. 

That was boring enough, but we were still living in Cheshire when I dropped Latin.

2 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Let's face it - I never did Latin at school.

I did 😟.  I was given the choice of German or Latin, and I chose German,

image.png.6ddb2c2352e2f2a3e43592c8e33a4a2b.png

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Judging by these photo captions, things are getting quite highbrow in the latest BRM.

B8D47CA8-675D-4308-8204-845AABF1E5CF.jpeg.7e25a64f978db0e588860e746d497f6a.jpeg

4F0856D8-43FD-4B9F-B90B-F5B530E0E189.jpeg.2ee61c5ddee3009b716d3bf6f2fe2154.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

I had a quick go at translating that:

001B.JPG.8ee9bd91e96246a82516e8793e38bca5.JPG

001.JPG.d0fbda2131400b4f5ff6857ac773ba8a.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I did four years of Latin, but still failed the O Level twice. This seemed to disappoint the master, known as TED due to his initials, but actually forenamed Tom. He was a decent sort of chap. His only child, Katharine, a couple of years older than me, had got to Oxford - where she took her own life. How you cope with that I have no idea. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

We moved from Newcastle-under-Lyme to Belfast in 1978 where I joined my new school in the 3rd form.  Latin was a compulsory subject up to 3rd form at that school but, as I had missed two years, I was excused Latin and sat out the lesson times at the back of the A-level economics classes doing my homework.  I later took A-level economics as it sounded interesting all those years ago.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

On 02/04/2022 at 08:13, Compound2632 said:

" bus et machinarum taxi supra pontem transeuntium."

I did a little bit of latin, but not enough to become Prime Minister sadly.  However I do remember that "bus" is all we have retained of "omnibus" which is latin and means "for everyone".