Hornby Tier System- An Update.

Drifter

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SamThomas said:

Now theres a good idea, it could be accompanied by a pedantic emoji & one for spelling errors.

Or just one for 'this user continually grates on me'. But I wouldn't want to expend time upon a single person.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Ah well. While it's Friday the 13th here's a bit of Railroad excitement.

Model this if you dare !!!!

Crazy Yanks !!!

As to Hornby - my best wishes for the company.

Brit15

I had to do a double take there as I was almost wondering if my previous car had somehow made it to the USofA 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 13/05/2022 at 12:42, AY Mod said:

You can do your own specific homework here - https://www.rawnet.com/about - https://www.rawnet.com/our-work/Hornby-hobbies

If Rawnet are reading this (unlikely), they probably want to revise some of the brands in this sentence "Integrating international brands into the online portfolio - Electrotren, Lema, Rivarossi and Arnol, UF (international brands) - as they were badly represented previously" .

It looks like someone has used a speech-to-text converter when designing the site. This is evident with UF instead of Jouef.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, 1andrew1 said:

If Rawnet are reading this (unlikely), they probably want to revise some of the brands in this sentence "Integrating international brands into the online portfolio - Electrotren, Lema, Rivarossi and Arnol, UF (international brands) - as they were badly represented previously" .

It looks like someone has used a speech-to-text converter when designing the site. This is evident with UF instead of Jouef.

It's a great shame that the "Hornby International" Brands are not promoted as well as they could be.

The current HO models (where available) are superb & up there with the very best.

Back on topic - does the International Range come under the "tier" system ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 13/05/2022 at 22:14, Mike Bellamy said:

Rawnet need to employ someone to proofread their own website - saw this on the Hornby page Andy linked to earlier

Integrating international brands into the online portfolio - Electrotren, Lema, Rivarossi and Arnol, UF (international brands) - as they were badly represented previously

Somebody at Rawnet or Hornby is monitoring this topic as the errors I quoted above have now been corrected . . . . and I hadn't spotted that UF was supposed to be JOUEF.  I wonder if this was dictated into speech recognition software . . . . . even more reason to check afterwards that it makes sense - it reminds me of "Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance" !!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

32 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Somebody at Rawnet or Hornby is monitoring this topic as the errors I quoted above have now been corrected . . . . and I hadn't spotted that UF was supposed to be JOUEF.  I wonder if this was dictated into speech recognition software . . . . . even more reason to check afterwards that it makes sense - it reminds me of "Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance" !!

Like this advert.

• Funny 5

23 hours ago, SamThomas said:

It's a great shame that the "Hornby International" Brands are not promoted as well as they could be.

The current HO models (where available) are superb & up there with the very best.

Back on topic - does the International Range come under the "tier" system ?

After travelling from Brussels to Cologne before covid I found that Hornby were selling a model of the train I travelled on in their international range and was available on Hornby's website.

I did not buy it as it was rather expensive and I have got far too many models already. I expect I could have ordered it through my local model shop.  As not many UK modellers would want that model the supply here would have exceeded demand so there would be no need to ration the model in the tier system

3 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

After travelling from Brussels to Cologne before covid I found that Hornby were selling a model of the train I travelled on in their international range and was available on Hornby's website.

I did not buy it as it was rather expensive and I have got far too many models already. I expect I could have ordered it through my local model shop.  As not many UK modellers would want that model the supply here would have exceeded demand so there would be no need to ration the model in the tier system

I think you have missed the point - the Hornby International Range appeals (or should) to far more than the UK market, which is why I wondered if they operated a similar system in Mainland Europe.

Maybe Hornby operate in a differnt manner accross the channel ?

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, SamThomas said:

I think you have missed the point - the Hornby International Range appeals (or should) to far more than the UK market, which is why I wondered if they operated a similar system in Mainland Europe.

Maybe Hornby operate in a differnt manner accross the channel ?

Hornby now of course own and manufacture Rivarossi in HO scale .It is available in the UK.Ibelieve Gaugemaster are a main distributor.It’s a similar situation to that of Bachmann with regard to Liliput. 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Prices are evening out all over Europe you might now find. In many cases,( but obviously not all )Hornby’s prices match those of Roco for instance. As to what however you get for your money,I leave you to judge.  Please don’t start a price gripe. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Very few UK retailers (not even the big mail order ones) seem to stock  Hornby's continental brands, which suggests to me that domestic demand is comparatively limited. 

Presumably they source items for those who do want them, or those customers obtain their needs direct from the distributor.

John

EDIT: Or from abroad, as pointed out by Sam....

Edited by Dunsignalling

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Prices are evening out all over Europe you might now find. In many cases,( but obviously not all )Hornby’s prices match those of Roco for instance. As to what however you get for your money,I leave you to judge.  Please don’t start a price gripe. 

Personally if I want to purchase HO European that is available from Hornby International, Roco, Trix, Piko or Mehano & the price is similar the HI will be the last choice.

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Very few UK retailers (not even the big mail order ones) seem to stock  Hornby's continental brands, which suggests to me that domestic demand is comparatively limited. 

Presumably they source items for those who do want them, or those customers obtain their needs direct from the distributor.

John

Most of the UK modellers I know who model HO European are still in the habit of purchasing from the "Euroboxshifters" but they are increasingly finding that the prices are levelling up when taking into account the total costs.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

In most cases,that’s Gaugemaster.There are however a handful of retailers who do discount below that.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

Most of the UK modellers I know who model HO European are still in the habit of purchasing from the "Euroboxshifters" but they are increasingly finding that the prices are levelling up when taking into account the total costs.

Difficult atm to reach a hard & fast conclusion on that as import duties & taxes are in a state oF transition. Overall,whether in OO or HO prices have undoubtedly risen and supplies seem to be short both here and in Europe .Thus if an item is needed,the only supply available may be from mainland Europe with in some..but not all cases….a consequent delay in transit and an import levy from HMC…and a small carrier charge. 

Always worth shopping around & of course importers who are also suppliers to the trade inevitable sell at full RRP m- that's just how the trade "works".

It not always that easy to make firm comparisons between UK/Europe prices, especially when you factor in the import levy/VAT/handling charge lottery.

Generally (in my experience) if you order a European Item from the Roco/Piko/Trix ranges whern announced it will turn up - eventually, but often just after mainland European availibility.

On 14/05/2022 at 07:36, APOLLO said:

image.png.6007199a0cdf78f2022514ae80dec55a.png

Brit15

As a former drug addict who modelled extensively as a kid and then got into some real crazy times and then got back to modelling after ridding myself of the people places and paraphernalia of said crazy times I can confirm this to not quite be true. 

🤣

Ah life. It's a laugh ain't it. Cuppa and a wagon kit... what a high. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
On 18/05/2022 at 12:00, E100 said:

Has there been any talk of retailers moving up and down the tier system / when are reviews carried out?

I'm wondering who would do the "reviews" as they've apparently sacked the sales force...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Re Sales reps - Living in the south I was told by my local model shop that the reps were going but I was up north last week and visited a well stocked and established model shop and was told there that they still had a Hornby rep and he indicated that Hornby would be appointing new ones to cover down south. 

All the very best

Godfrey

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 01/05/2022 at 23:39, meatloaf said:

I work in a post office, if you have a local one you can pay cheques into most accounts at the post office :)

And with your camera on your phone you can pay it in that way!

7 hours ago, Godfrey Glyn said:

Re Sales reps - Living in the south I was told by my local model shop that the reps were going but I was up north last week and visited a well stocked and established model shop and was told there that they still had a Hornby rep and he indicated that Hornby would be appointing new ones to cover down south. 

All the very best

Godfrey

There are no longer any Hornby reps as such. In the North there is a Business Development Manager and eventually when one is recruited there will be the same in the South. 

Both of them will only cover Tier 1 shops. 

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I can't remember now, which way round this "Tier" system works.

Is it that the Tier 1 shops, "Hornby does business with them", and is it the Tier 3 shops that "Hornby wants to do the Box Shifting  for / instead of them"?

Kev.

Edited by SHMD

Tier 1 retailers can place orders with Hornby at announcement and (in theory) should get what they order.

Tier 2 retailers can place orders after the Tier 1 retailers.

Tier 3 retailers can place orders with Hornby for models when they arrive at the Hornby warehouse, assuming they haven't sold out to tier 1 & 2 retailers.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1