Where was the last steam hauled freight on BR?

montyburns56

On 13/04/2022 at 10:08, 62613 said:

There was a photo in a long - ago Backtrack of a standard 2MT 2-6-0 at Ulverston, or Grange- over - Sands, on 3/8/68. I think Jamie 92208 also photographed it and put it in his 50 years since the end of steam thread

On Flickr there is a photo of 75019 on a Heysham to Carnforth van train on 3/8/68, which the caption claims as the last freight train (excluding ballast workings),

cheers

21 hours ago, Rivercider said:

On Flickr there is a photo of 75019 on a Heysham to Carnforth van train on 3/8/68, which the caption claims as the last freight train (excluding ballast workings),

cheers

Thanks, it's this one.

Last steam-hauled freight on BR

I also found this one at Spencer's Limeworks, Swinden End , 31st May 1968 by John Whiteley

Leaving the quarry.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I believe that 2 Lostock Hall 8F's were the last steam loco's working non passenger trains if ballast trains aren't called freight on the saturday, the second one being sent out to relieve a shunter to burn it's large fire down, but where Ayrshire Yeomanry had been until 4am Sunday morning is anybody's guess!

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/04/2022 at 23:08, DavidBird said:

Around 1980 or thereabouts, I remember hearing about a 40 that had failed on a freight around Leeds area.  A "Jubilee" was pressed in to help out...

This or a similar rescue happened on the Settle & Carlisle.

Also 8233 took a turn with the Northwich limestone hoppers in the 1980s.

Dava

On 15/04/2022 at 18:20, colin smith said:

Presumably the Vale of Rheidol Railway was running steam-hauled ballast trains, etcetera, up until it was privatised in 1989.

They technically had No 10, an 0-6-0 diesel built at Swindon, but I think they had a lot of trouble with it and it wasn't used much, but then BR didn't do much with the track apart from rip up all the loops and let the PW degenerate. I was very pleasantly surprised to watch a couple of recent youtube videos and see how the line is in beautiful condition wit hall the loops and station buildings reinstated. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Covkid said:

They technically had No 10, an 0-6-0 diesel built at Swindon, but I think they had a lot of trouble with it and it wasn't used much.....

No.10 was assembled by the Brecon Mountain Railway in 1987 from Drewry/Baguley parts left over from a cancelled export order - Mozambique IIRC.

Ray.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And departmental work isn't really revenue-earning freight.  The VoR in it's current condition is exemplary, and unusually for a heritage line takes it's timetable seriously; it has a reputation in it's locality for being something you can set your watch by!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Didn't steam breakdown cranes outlast ordinary revenue-earning steam-hauled freight traffic?

...not to mention Engineering Department self-propelled steam cranes.......

Crane1078.jpg.e05f95fc76da5c3fc65e8bac46130739.jpg

Awful Instamatic photo of one (coupled to a brake van) on track renewal works at Derby Road Station in October 1978.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

No.10 was assembled by the Brecon Mountain Railway in 1987 from Drewry/Baguley parts left over from a cancelled export order - Mozambique IIRC.

Ray.

Apologies.  for some reason I was under the impression it was delivered to Aberystwyth as a BR loco.

Please disregard me !!! 

• RMweb Premium
On 12/04/2022 at 21:45, pH said:

Are you sure about that number? References I’ve seen say 3408 was withdrawn in 1962.

Indeed. None were left at that time

All of the 34XX had been scrapped by the end of February 1965

• RMweb Premium

Does industrial steam count?

43942415891_640cb3cfd1_w.jpg

Bold, St Helens UK  |  1981 by Keith Wilde, on Flickr

50866440153_322bd2d149_w.jpg

ANOTHER BOLD MOVE........ by Tom Derrington, on Flickr

Both taken at NCB Bold Colliery (St Helens). The steam loco would have run to exchange sidings, but whether or not they were BR metals is a different matter.

https://8dassociation.org/the-lancashire-coalfield/ncb-bold/

Steven B.

• Like 3

On 13/04/2022 at 21:43, Phil Bullock said:

31st August wasn’t the end of WR steam …. This was 31st December 1965 although depots such as Worcester and Oxford tried to ignore it and used steam on 1st January.

The WR had taken over the S&D line north of Templecombe in 1958 so the last WR steam services would be to at least when the S&D line closed on 7th March '66.

IIRC the plan was to close the S&D line at the end of '65 but a substitute bus service didn't materialise so the WR had to run a parliamentary service, apparently to their annoyance as it scuppered the plan to eradicate steam on their preferred date.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 13/04/2022 at 22:58, The Johnster said:

The ballast wagons were a 'fitted head' which was attached as far as Severn Tunnel Jc in order to allow the train to run at 40mph (line speed) on the relief lines as a class 7 or 8.  They were detatched at STJ, and the train made it's way to Kidderminster from there as a Class 9, probably visiting every loop on that route.  It arrived at Kiddy around midnight I believe. 

This was of course a demonstration train and not any sort of 'normal', revenue, or booked service or diagrammed working

Arguably more of a demonstration than anything else, but I can vaguely recall seeing some ballast wagons being moved by steam as part of the "here's the last bit of work of this major job" on the Settle-Carlisle at the start of this century.

Dug out a couple more details - 19th December 2000, loco was 48151 and some notes saying "Railtrack chartered 48151 to haul the final load of Catfish hoppers containing ballast used for extensive track renewal work on the Settle Carlisle line."

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, H2O said:

The WR had taken over the S&D line north of Templecombe in 1958 so the last WR steam services would be to at least when the S&D line closed on 7th March '66.

IIRC the plan was to close the S&D line at the end of '65 but a substitute bus service didn't materialise so the WR had to run a parliamentary service, apparently to their annoyance as it scuppered the plan to eradicate steam on their preferred date.

Good thought …. Had not considered that! 

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The engineers' sidings are now a housing estate.

I know. When passing it is possible to see where the entrance to the yard was as a break in the low embankment between the ECML and the estate. It was central - not at the ends and the yard had dead end sidings right up to the footbridge at one end and the road at the other - the railway was well above that road. 

Just some of my Hitchin photos https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=hitchin

Always very welcoming, although having my lady with me sometimes in quite a skimpy top may have helped. 

Paul

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

75019 Heysham 3rd Aug 1968 by derekphillips1

75019-on-Heysham-line-last-day-3-8-68-flickr-Edit

Another slight location error involving 75019!  The train is certainly coming from Heysham, but is actually entering Morecambe Promenade station. The train would reverse here (hence the second brake van marshalled behind the loco) and no doubt head off to Leeds with the oil tanks - probably behind a couple of Sulzer Type 2s at this late stage of the steam era. 

Sorry to be a little pedantic about these captions, but I grew up in Lancaster and spent a lot of time trainspotting in the area!  🙂 

• Thanks 1