Invacar Transport Wagons.

Mallard60022

6 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Is there any evidence they were ever sheeted, they simply seem to have been roped down with a padded bolster across the windscreen. 

Paul

Not unique to Invacars; there is photographic evidence of brand new Ford Anglias, unsheeted, on Carfits in 1965, although apparently secured only by wheel chocks, without ropes ("On London and North Western Lines" p37, Derek Huntriss).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

My Dad had an Invacar, IIRC its reggie began with an E. He kept it in perfect condition and was once congratulated by non other than the Health Minister Sir Keith Joseph, in writing, for his care of it. The letter was framed and hung on the wall in the dining room where it remained until his death. He and Mum didn't get on.

I've just ordered one, how would they have been fixed to the wagon?

Edited by PenrithBeacon
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 20/04/2022 at 12:29, jonhall said:

The Surbiton loaded examples would have been built by AC Cars Thames Ditton. 

I'd be surprised if there were whole trains, as these would presumably be somewhat bespoke to the end users disability, so unlikely to be stockpiled at a dealer. However to rather contradict my own argument, there are at least two in this train. 

03/04/1976 - Whitemoor Junction, March.

Jon

Interesting that these are tethered to the wagons, but that a couple of, what look like sacks are placed on the front and back of each to protect the vehicles and their finishes from the ropes. In the comments under the Flickr image there is reference to a repair facility for these vehicles which generated traffic to/from Toton. This photo is at March. 

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

I know why the Lowfit is marshalled as in the photo, but its not an ideal location for an unprotected fibreglass vehicle!

Should have had some sheeting over it at least.

This invacar seems to be of the earlier design (and darker blue) model - I’m not sure when the model changed over but I recall a neighbour had one of these earlier ones with C registration (1965). However, apart from the lack of sheeting the Invacar doesn’t appear, from the photo, to be strapped down very firmly to the wagon!

My recollection is all these vehicles were registered in Surrey. 

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I've got a pic where there are three at  Broad Clyst already Loaded, with several more on the Loading Dock. What I should have pointed out and failed to clarify was I wasn't planning on doing all eight on the one Train. But (say) two workings; maybe Up from Clyst and down (from Surbiton) so we have them at Seaton Junction.

Nice pic by the way; vert early 70s. I reckon there is at least one more on that next Flat.

Phil

I have 'The Salisbury to Exeter Line', by Phillips and Pryer, if that is the Broad Clyst picture (page 144), you have then I think there are four cars already loaded, with at least one more on the loading dock,

cheers   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cwmtwrch said:

Not unique to Invacars; there is photographic evidence of brand new Ford Anglias, unsheeted, on Carfits in 1965, although apparently secured only by wheel chocks, without ropes ("On London and North Western Lines" p37, Derek Huntriss).

Agreed. Several photos on my site of new vehicles on Lowfits, Carflats etc. Whole trains of them loaded in Luton.

It was only in the 1980s that protecting transported road vehicles began - as much to stop theft of radios etc as that trains were running faster and therefore there was more damage from flying ballast etc. 

4 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I've just ordered one, how would they have been fixed to the wagon?

See the photos I linked to earlier.

Paul

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/04/2022 at 18:27, Rivercider said:

I have 'The Salisbury to Exeter Line', by Phillips and Pryer, if that is the Broad Clyst picture (page 144), you have then I think there are four cars already loaded, with at least one more on the loading dock,

cheers   

That's the one RC. Thanks for that. Not looked at it for a week or two.

P

• Like 1

On 19/04/2022 at 19:51, Mallard60022 said:

...... Has anyone modelled either of these having found suitable Kits in 4mm, or used RTR 4mm versions?

If so, how and or what Kit/ RTR did you use? .....

David Geen was intending to do one of the 'short' S.R. Conflats at one time but couldn't find anyone to make the necessary patterns - MARC Models were on the verge of introducing the 'long' Conflat but health issues intervened ( It's still advertised as 'coming soon' - but don't hold your breath.) .................... It would be great if these projects could be resurrected by someone !

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 19/04/2022 at 19:51, Mallard60022 said:

Has anyone modelled either of these having found suitable Kits in 4mm, or used RTR 4mm versions?

If so, how and or what Kit/ RTR did you use?

There's a 7 page SR Conflat / Carfit S build in vol 3 of Geoff Kent's"The 4mm Wagon"

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/04/2022 at 12:29, jonhall said:

The Surbiton loaded examples would have been built by AC Cars Thames Ditton. 

I'd be surprised if there were whole trains, as these would presumably be somewhat bespoke to the end users disability, so unlikely to be stockpiled at a dealer. However to rather contradict my own argument, there are at least two in this train. 

03/04/1976 - Whitemoor Junction, March.

Jon

Red Panda do a kit RK01 IIRC for the BR Lowfit diagram 1/002.

The Bachmann ex-Mainline version has a BR Diagram 1/001 body which is like the LNER one but has the wrong chassis, which should be an LMS 8-shoe brake variety. I did one using a Mainline body and parts from a Parkside chassis kit. I posted it some time ago but I think pics are missing at the moment. I will see if I can find them.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

There was a discussion on lowfits here

Unfortunately most of the pics are missing at the moment but lots of info on body and brake gear variations.

I've found a picture of my version which I will post later. Paul Bartlett has plenty of pictures of them on his site.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I have a couple of Invacars on their way to me, would I be correct in assuming, due to the lack of the correct carflat style wagons that the lowfit is the next best acceptable alternative?

Mike.

'Lowfits' seemed to be the preferred wagons; the BR Data Sheet for the type even shows an 'Invacar' as the load. Vac-fitted Plates were also used.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 20/04/2022 at 12:46, hmrspaul said:

That is 259 pages long. Please could we have a link to the actual page the photos on, or the number of the entries

Paul

I'm afraid you weren't missing much in the way of discussion. It was just a copy of the photo on Flicker.

I found it via Google by putting in terms such as "Invacar Train"

https://autoshite.com/topic/32723-lightbulbfuns-invacar-general-ramble-thread-index-on-page-1-survivors-lists-on-pages-24134-adgecutlers-invacar-mk12-restoration-from-page-186-onwards-chips-got/page/130/

Just had another play with Google and found this one which you are familiar with.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/40205157315/

https://autoshite.com/topic/32723-lightbulbfuns-invacar-general-ramble-thread-index-on-page-1-survivors-lists-on-pages-24134-adgecutlers-invacar-mk12-restoration-from-page-186-onwards-chips-got/page/216/?tab=comments#comment-2385277

Jason

On 21/04/2022 at 20:11, hmrspaul said:

Agreed. Several photos on my site of new vehicles on Lowfits, Carflats etc. Whole trains of them loaded in Luton.

It was only in the 1980s that protecting transported road vehicles began - as much to stop theft of radios etc as that trains were running faster and therefore there was more damage from flying ballast etc. 

See the photos I linked to earlier.

Paul

Yeah, sorry Paul.

I'm now wondering if the packaging/fixing was returned to the car builders 

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Yeah, sorry Paul.

I'm now wondering if the packaging/fixing was returned to the car builders 

I reckon it was just a hessian sack filled with straw and standard ropes, and would have been considered disposable by whoever provided them.

Mike.

18 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I reckon it was just a hessian sack filled with straw and standard ropes, and would have been considered disposable by whoever provided them.

Mike.

Generally known as a 'dunnage bag'. I don't know if they were meant to be returned, but many ended up as cushions outside yard  offices and similar.

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...