RMweb

Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

• RMweb Premium

The odd thing if Hornby have offloaded a lot of 4VEP's to Kernow is that normally they seem to put stock they want rid of into the last chance to buy bargain basement part of the Hornby web site which is not the case with these.

Despite what Andy Y says, Kernow originally stated "108 awaiting delivery from our suppliers", after they had sold all the stock in hand at £166. "Suppliers" does not suggest to me a separate Kernow warehouse, but a wholesaler or indeed Hornby. Nobody else, bar the Hornby on-line shop, are showing these units as available any more, at any price, and Hornby still show them at full RRP. Utterly, crazily bizarre.

Well yes, but then the statement changed, and we are all speculating wildly here. I'm uncomfortable with deciding this is down to Hornby on the basis of speculation.

• RMweb Premium

It may also be relevant that Hornby are in the process of moving their British operation from Westwood (Margate) to Sandwich and perhaps keen to empty their premises of high stock volumes.

My money is on the deal theory as the bargains extend to the 2Bil units as well.  What ever the truth here is a probably unique opportunity to own reasonable models (shortcomings of both acknowledged - it's the face that still has me thinking twice above the Vep) at great prices.  And if one lives outside the EU the price becomes around 20% cheaper still.

All these conspiracy theories are fun in a way... it's interesting to read different points of view regarding how and why these have come on to the market at £99.99, all of which are pure speculation. The bottom line (for me) is that the "how" and the "why" are all totally irrelevant. I'm simply delighted to have picked up a blue/grey 4VEP which suits the timeframe of my layout perfectly. I'm sure I'm not alone in having to set a spending limit on this hobby. Just after Christmas when Hattons etc received stock, I sadly decided that £165(ish) meant my purchase would have to wait.a while. I didn't realise the wait would be just 7 weeks. That said, I do sympathise with those that recently spent between £165 and £199 and feel a little "cheated"...

• Like 1

I succumbed and ordered a VEP from Kernow Model Railway Centre on Sunday ... or at least I tried to. Their website shop authentication kept rejecting my usual credit card details. I tried a different card, with the same result.

Next I copied the shopping cart details into an email using their 'contact us' link and asked if they could reserve the items pending a phone call from me, with the intention of calling on Monday evening (Australian Eastern Time) and catching them in the shop on Monday morning (UK time).

Well, on Monday morning I checked my emails as usual and there was a reply from Trevor of KMRC, asking if I wished to use the credit card details they had on record for a few pre-orders I have with them. I replied yes please and confirmed some details (but never sending the credit card number on an email - that's not secure!), so all is rosy and well with the world!! :)

That was really excellent service from Kernow, and quicker than I expected as it was started on a Sunday, and their response must have come on the Sunday at their end.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Gwiwer, on 22 Feb 2015 - 12:01, said:

Tempting.  Very tempting.  There is a potential for a b/g Vep here having regard to the improvements made albeit an all-blue would have been preferred though no layout exists nor is proposed upon which to run it.  It could however sit alongside the b/g Ceps and even the blue Bils although not accurate with those.  Thinking about it another blue Bil with a different running number is even more tempting and it's pay week coming up ....... ;)

Even if there was no actual overlap between Bils and b/g VEPs, they didn't miss each other by much. ISTR 7808 was the first b/g version, and the Bils were by no means ancient history when that appeared on Central. By Rule 1 standards this is truly trivial! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I succumbed and ordered a VEP from Kernow Model Railway Centre on Sunday ... or at least I tried to. Their website shop authentication kept rejecting my usual credit card details. I tried a different card, with the same result.

Funny you should say that.  I had exactly the same problem at much the same time.  It seemed to have self-rectifief an hour later.

Even if there was no actual overlap between Bils and b/g VEPs, they didn't miss each other by much. ISTR 7808 was the first b/g version, and the Bils were by no means ancient history when that appeared on Central. By Rule 1 standards this is truly trivial! 

7808 was the first and at the time experimental Vep in b/g but was quickly followed by 7816 ultimately to 7892.  Earlier ones were repainted at overhaul.  I'll take your learned word for it with regard to the comparison of 7808's delivery date and the final 2Bil operations and might yet apply Rule 1.

• Like 1

I asked Hornby about replacement interiors for my existing blue and NSE units:

"We regret that, at present, there are no plans to produce the corridor interiors for retro-fitting. We have discussed this with our Engineering Department, and they have indicated that the part has not been ordered as a spare".

With the B&G MBS having the wrong interior and undeframe (using up parts?) I don't think we will see the VEP again, so get them whilst you can. 

• RMweb Gold
Gwiwer, on 23 Feb 2015 - 10:39, said:Gwiwer, on 23 Feb 2015 - 10:39, said:

Funny you should say that.  I had exactly the same problem at much the same time.  It seemed to have self-rectifief an hour later.

7808 was the first and at the time experimental Vep in b/g but was quickly followed by 7816 ultimately to 7892.  Earlier ones were repainted at overhaul.  I'll take your learned word for it with regard to the comparison of 7808's delivery date and the final 2Bil operations and might yet apply Rule 1.

Kent Rail indicates that 7808 received the b/g livery in 1970, while http://www.bloodandcustard.com/ confirms Bils were still active until 29th July 1971. Indeed, more VEPs were needed to replace the remaining Bil/Hal pairs. I think you can defend this one without resort to Rule 1 at all!

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium

Current message from Kernow for those ordering the b/g Vep.  I haven't seen this message before but it is at least clear and honest.

Please note we will have more stock available very shortly when we have collected it from our secure storage - we did not expect to get through the stock at the shop so quickly!

It may also be relevant that Hornby are in the process of moving their British operation from Westwood (Margate) to Sandwich and perhaps keen to empty their premises of high stock volumes.

My money is on the deal theory as the bargains extend to the 2Bil units as well.  What ever the truth here is a probably unique opportunity to own reasonable models (shortcomings of both acknowledged - it's the face that still has me thinking twice above the Vep) at great prices.  And if one lives outside the EU the price becomes around 20% cheaper still.

The stock had already moved to their new, outsourced warehouse near Canterbury some months ago, before the VEPs arrived. Margate is already pretty empty of models, other than those retained for the Visitor Centre.

I agree the face of the VEP did not look at all right in Blue, but strangely, in the B/G livery, it looks much better. Don't know why, but it just does. Not perfect, but as it stands on the track or moving along, it looks like a VEP, quacks like a VEP so it ......

• RMweb Premium

I agree the face of the VEP did not look at all right in Blue, but strangely, in the B/G livery, it looks much better. Don't know why, but it just does. Not perfect, but as it stands on the track or moving along, it looks like a VEP, quacks like a VEP so it ......

The stock had already moved to their new, outsourced warehouse near Canterbury some months ago, before the VEPs arrived. Margate is already pretty empty of models, other than those retained for the Visitor Centre.

Surely it should squeak like an EMU.........I'll get my coat!

Likewise I think the b/g face looks better for some reason; the bright yellow needs some weathering, though, imo

Just noticed that Kernow have a 2Hal at £75 which is also pretty speedy for a discount; they were released last October, I think

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed that Kernow have a 2Hal at £75 which is also pretty speedy for a discount; they were released last October, I think

Mal

Possibly although there are two more 2Hal version coming allegedly this year so perhaps Hornby themselves have found the market flooded with pre-War SR 2-car units ;)

Possibly although there are two more 2Hal version coming allegedly this year so perhaps Hornby themselves have found the market flooded with pre-War SR 2-car units ;)

Agreed, Rick, the BR(S) green units were released last October, the pre-war were earlier. There certainly seem to be a lot of southern 2-car emus at the moment

Mal

There storage warehouse must be a long way away. I ordered mine Friday on the first hours and it still has not left yet!

If you have an account with them you can check the status of your order, my VEP is showing as 'active' with the other models in the same order 'picked for despatch' so it looks like they are still waiting for them to arrive from the warehouse.

I am sure our models will be on their way in due course.

Edited by royaloak

If you have an account with them you can check the status of your order, my VEP is showing as 'active' with the other models in the same order 'picked for despatch' so it looks like they are still waiting for them to arrive from the warehouse.

I am sure our models will be on their way in due course.

Indeed, I am waiting with impatience and anticipation....

Frustratingly hard to believe that after announcing that they would supply replacement partitions to those who have the earlier versions, they now appear to have changed their minds!  I hope that's not the case and I'm completely wrong as Hornby are better than this!

If they wanted to save some labour time by leaving off the guard irons and bogie steps from the model that's understandable but fitting the equalising beam (is that the right term?) the wrong way? they would have been better supplying all of these parts in a sealed packet for the purchaser to fit them selves. Bit of a retrograde step and It just doesn't make sense to me. I realise that not everyone may have the dexterity in their fingers (I'm one of them!) But  it's not the most difficult of tasks. HO HUM

PS It still wont stop me from buying one as I happen to think they look enough like the real things for me.

• RMweb Premium

Frustratingly hard to believe that after announcing that they would supply replacement partitions to those who have the earlier versions, they now appear to have changed their minds!  I hope that's not the case and I'm completely wrong as Hornby are better than this!

Don't forget that these VEPs were amongst the last models made for Hornby by Sanda Kan. As such, obtaining replacements/spares may not have been possible - SK just made "xxx" number of models and that was it. This may also explain why the MBS has the wrong interior - SK was using up the parts it had in stock. Do we know if they're all wrong?

Presumably the tooling will be transferred to one of Hornby's new manufacturers and in due course we'll see further productions runs. At that point Hornby could be expected to offer the interiors as spares.

Edited by brushman47544

Ordered a 2-BIL from Kernow at 23.00 last Friday. Shop rang me on Saturday saying there were problems with the ordering on their website. Took my card details over the phone and the model arrived yesterday! I haven't bought a B/G VEP as I just haven't got the space for a sixth 4-car unit but I am surprised it has been duscounted so quickly. I'm certainly not grumbling either....ship in the discounts and you'll make the sales. The more the merrier in my opinion :-)