RMweb

Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

• RMweb Premium

Without wishing to drag this off topic any further my test run was done with a 121 from an early run with the large hook coupler and no traction tyres. It was selected at random from the seven I own other than the fact that I wanted something with a big hook to prove the derailment with the 153 was a coupler issue and nothing more. I have 121s with the later smaller coupler as well.

As a point of interest I have two "Limby" 73s and two 121s. All but one of the 121s are fitted with traction tyres, They are all temperamental in their own way and never run properly without a period of running in on each session. The 121 without the traction tyres is perhaps the best performer as it rarely stalls over pointwork. The downside is that it can only pull itself round the layout and nothing else, so if I wanted to add a driving trailer 2nd to it as used to be on the Greenford branch in the '70s then forget it! Interestingly the traction tyres are only on one wheelset on the 4-VEP. The tyres on the other "Limby" bogies are on both wheelsets but on one side only. Whether changing this on the VEP would make a difference would be interesting to see.

Incidentall I have had my VEP running in consist with a CEP round the garden again this week and so far it has not been a problem. Maybe mine has settled down and run itself in. Only time will tell!

Incidentall I have had my VEP running in consist with a CEP round the garden again this week and so far it has not been a problem. Maybe mine has settled down and run itself in. Only time will tell!

One of my main worries with the VEP was that it wouldn't double head well with the Bachmann units. This has not yet been a problem and it runs well with other units. Mine is still running fairly well though i'm going to have another look to see if I can sneak a bit of extra weight into the power bogie area.

Still happy with it, enjoyed the challenge of the modifications (though I strongly agree that it shouldn't have been necessary) and would I like a second one? Yes. (though would like to get a cheap(er) one!)

Can't find a camera at the moment but will see if I can take some photos a bit later. Weighed the VEP motor coach on our kitchen scales and it came in at 305g. Comparisons are: EPB 385g, CEP 413g. I have an MJT 4CIG with a Limby 73 bogie and that is a heavy 468g.

I have added a few small weights around the motor bogie area increasing it to 350g. The noticeable difference is that when the motor is the second vehicle, it will now start from a stand and head up my hills. Before this it would not be able to do this, you would have to take a run up from the level track and hope it made it to the top! Interestingly though it cannot do this when in reverse.

I do not have any more small chunks of metal to add to it at the moment but plan to get a few bits to secure in the various gaps!

Will have to look into fishing weights.

Just to show where i've added the weights:

post-1105-0-62713900-1319314205_thumb.jpg

post-1105-0-85195200-1319314209_thumb.jpg

Side on view with the weights removed

post-1105-0-57913400-1319314216_thumb.jpg

As you can see they have only been attached with blu-tack for now. The chunky weight is sat on the seating bay.

Just looking at the final shot again...

post-1105-0-17449000-1319314381_thumb.jpg

I think two chunky weights could be fitted in the spaces marked.

I assume i'm right in thinking that there is no point adding weight anywhere else along the chassis?

On the subject of Fishing weights Ask for SEA FISHING Weights!! These are apparently heavier (LEAD) than freshwater ones where lead is illegal so I am told.

Sea fishing weights come in various weights, and are easy to cut and 'pound' into shape But please note lead is poisonous wash hands after use and also be careful when cutting and shaping, wear protective eye goggles if poss!! ( its the health and safety you know)

I have used these weights for many years!

Also another source of weights is shops that sell items for domestic curtains, they usually stock weights which are approx 4" x 2" which are intended to be used in curtain hems to make them hang 'nicely' these too are easily cut into required sizes!!

Just for the record!! I have no interest in fishing or sewing curtains !!

Edited by Stevelewis

On the subject of Fishing weights Ask for SEA FISHING Weights!! These are apparently heavier (LEAD) than freshwater ones where lead is illegal so I am told.

Sea fishing weights come in various weights, and are easy to cut and 'pound' into shape But please note lead is poisonous wash hands after use and also be careful when cutting and shaping, wear protective eye goggles if poss!! ( its the health & safety you know)

I have used these weights for many years!

Also another source of weights is shops that sell items for domestic curtains, they usually stock weights which are approx 4" x 2" which are intended to be used in curtain hems to make them hang 'nicely' these too are easily cut into required sizes!!

Just for the record!! I have no interest in fishing or sewing curtains !!

So there's no truth that you sew fishing nets in your spare time!

Pete.

• Like 1

Many Thanks S.A.C. Martin, and Others, for your support / observations / input, into this topic

Going back to the original observations that, possibly, kicked Hornby's VEP into touch, here's some comparitive photos showing MJT's front end, up against Hornby's.

Both have their faults

post-7009-0-92578300-1319329548_thumb.jpg.

Hornby's width.

post-7009-0-01754300-1319329779_thumb.jpg

MJT's... Note that it represents three flat panels. Not a continuous curve, as it should be.

post-7009-0-51055400-1319331514_thumb.jpg

A close-up. To match Hornby's detail, this would need a lot of work.

post-7009-0-06911200-1319330429_thumb.jpg

Hornby's gangway / corridor connection. Note the sides' distortion.

post-7009-0-87159200-1319330981_thumb.jpg

MJT's. Much nearer the mark, although the headcode window is larger than Hornby's.

post-7009-0-84084600-1319332529_thumb.jpg

A vertical comparison.

post-7009-0-45215800-1319332137_thumb.jpg

And a horizontal one.

Taking into account all the other drawbacks / faults found with this model, l can only recommend a complete rebuild, using only the vehicles' sides.(cab-side windows excepted) and underframes

The thing is, where. do l, or anyone else, looking for a fair representative. start ??

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 5

That's an interesting front-end perspective Ceptic. And dare I say, it puts a slightly new perspective on things for me. Now, I'm no third-rail guru by any means, so can't speak for the trueness of the MJT face to the real thing (another montage of those two morphed together would be telling), BUT I would observe the following at this point:

Hornby's windscreens don't look especially undernourished alongside MJT (to me at least)

Hornby's jumper recesses are far more convincing even in an unweathered state.

To my mind, it's the outer footprint of Hornby's gangway connection that seems to throw everything else into compromise; despite the measured width its shape goes a long way to distort the character. I wonder if (something like) a fettled Bachmann MkI corridor could provide a better starting point for a more balanced, and convincing, face.

I just so happen to have ten of these hanging around from my Carflat conversion programme, if anyone fancies a try-out...

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at Ceptic's Hornby vs MJT VEP end images and remembering photos of the real thing, it looks like Hornby got the gap between the cab windows and the corridor connection right (which MJT plainly didn't) but not between the cab windows and the sides, it's just that the Hornby corridor connection is too narrow. They could fix this with a re-tool of the front end. If they then did the inner partitions with cut outs for the windows etc, they'd be a long way to a fair representation of a 4VEP. Obviously they'd still need to sort out the mechanical problems, and the moulded detail for the handrails etc on the sides would still be somewhat below the detail level we've come to expect from them, but it would still be better than no VEP at all (which to my mind is what we've got).

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting comparison between the MJT and Hornby front ends, Ceptic. Personally I think Hornby has captured the front end face slightly better than MJT - I have decided to live with the doorway being too far in and that the slightly narrower vestibule doesn't detract from the appearance.

I think it's a bit unfair to say we haven't got a 4VEP really because we have, The front end of Hornby's model is already a "fair" representation of the real thing. It just isn't a compltetly accurate representation of the real thing and that is the crux of the matter which Hornby will either look at and say OK lets modify it or, do nothing and let it sell as it is. In the case of the former they will have to weigh up the cost of modifying the tooling against the fact that the model has already been released and some will be happy with it the way it is and will not buy a modified one.

Personally I'm not entirely happy with the new VEP and the one I have got has put me off buying another one for the time being (unless I can pick up a secondhand non runner and use it as a trailer unit to drag behind a CEP). But in my view it definitely Is a VEP!

• Like 1

I'm inclined to agree with Ian J: if Hornby could modify the front end and gangway, add the side corridor windows/doors and fix the mechanical issues, that would go a long way towards making the model a success for many of us.

There is stil lthe issue of the reversed bogies but I think that once the unit is in motion or sitting in a station or lurking in amongst other stock in the sidings, how many people would really notice that?

Personally, I think I could live with the corridor moulding remaining the same as it is not that hard to modify to a reasonable standard, even with a bit of stiff card or plasticard (as shown in an earlier post in this thread). Given the choice of front styles with both being incorrect to a degree, I would prefer the MJT ones, which would also match the VEP I did some time ago with MJT sides and ends on Lima Mk 1 chassis. The Hornby "face" just doesn't quite do it for me, even if it is not that far out dimensionally. As Chard said, the Hornby jumper cables and recesses do look better than the MJT ones.

• Like 2

Give it a couple of days running and I bet you change your mind! :tease:

I've had mine for over six weeks now, I haven't changed my mind. In fact quite the opposite, the more I run it the more I like it.

thats great information Venator

i love to see a video of your working model if that is ok and the 2epb working together

maybe post it on here if you can because i am sure others would like to see the video

all the best from Steve

Steve, here is my video:

Apologies for the state of my layout, it's having a refurbishment at the moment and various things are on and off the board. As you can see the 4VEP has little issue with running round radius 2 curves, multiple sets of points and even goes over my diamond crossover (which other multiple units don't like).

Edited by Venator
  • Like 4

I've had mine for over six weeks now, I haven't changed my mind. In fact quite the opposite, the more I run it the more I like it.

Steve, here is my video:

Apologies for the state of my layout, it's having a refurbishment at the moment and various things are on and off the board. As you can see the 4VEP has little issue with running round radius 2 curves, multiple sets of points and even goes over my diamond crossover (which other multiple units don't like).

thank you so much for posting the video because i really wanted to see this video after your comments on your 4 Vep

i am very encourage to see it runs on curves at speed and low speed also this is brilliant

i like to think i am a fair person in life and this stance does indeed work good towards my feelings to Hornby

i am sure and now hoping maybe on the next batch of 4 VEP will all be as good as yours on your layout

hopefully Quality Control from Hornby could make this happen without a big problem to them on every train

on the market in due course.

i am even tempted to get another soon as long as i can see it work b4 i buy from a store

yeah thats great Venator i am glad this really does put another light on the Hornby4 VEP

and maybe more could come from them ;)

i am now feeling good i will have a 4 vep with my NSE 2EPBs soonish now :senile:

All the best from Steve :D

Edited by Uk_Steve

On the motor performance, if Hornby don't offer an upgrade to the mechanism, does anyone have any thoughts on how to improve the performance of the existing motor bogie without replacing it entirely?

Low rail adhesion aside, the performance is noticeably "coggy" at slow speeds which my Hornby 73 also suffers from. I have tried messing with the settings on DCC, and turning the BEMF right down definitely helps, but still the start is unrealistically jerky - speed step 1 is not the slow crawl that we have become used to in most modern models (and CV2 is set to 0 volts!)

I remember reading in another thread that someone was considering replacing the actual motor inside their Limby bogie with a Mashima motor (the limby bogie was from a different model - I think a 101 or similar). Has anyone tried this with a limby motor, and did it help at all?

As yet, no reply to my letters.

I'm not entirely at the stage where everyone else seems to be. Yes, in comparison to a kit manufacturer (with a limited budget and developed long before laser scanning) the Hornby 4VEP is marginally better in look (perhaps).

But it's still no great shakes to contemporary alternatives. Now my traction tyre problem may be related to just me - but whether it is or not, is irrelevant: they should not have been used on this model.

The Bachmann 4CEP is a prime example of what happens when you get it right first time. Praised universally, reportedly selling very well, and has the performance to match.

The 4VEP is inferior in every which way except its markedly higher price. This isn't a question of opinion, it's absolute stone wall fact.

I will not buy another EMU from Hornby until I feel my confidence in them to develop one to a similarly high standard is restored.

Edited by S.A.C Martin
  • Like 1

i sent my letter b4 yours Martin i havnt had a reply either mind you that be a very quick responce in my eyes

i have a time frame of 28 days if they was going to reply to me? Be nice if they do but i be more happy if they

concentrate on the issues at hand, you have every right to feel the way you feel about your 4 Vep and anybody

else which are in a simular situation! there is no doubnt in my mind i be feeling the same if i went down the same route as you. lets not forget because of you and others helped to get the warning signals out there on this forum b4 i even got my model and help other modellers/hobbyiest which i am 1 is very grateful

all the best from Steve

OT what do you think of my new updated pics of my weathering efforts?

http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

Edited by Uk_Steve
  • Like 2