Bachmann Jubilee tenders

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I'm attempting to upgrade my Bachmann Jubilee 'Bahamas' using a more modern chassis which has the plugs for a DCC decoder.  I've noticed on that well known auction site that there's several Jubilee's with Fowler tenders which are DCC ready at a reasonable price.  Can Stanier 4000 gallon tender shell be fitted without issues to a Fowler chassis?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, tarifa said:

Which model are you attempting to upgrade?

One of Bachmann’s earliest model’s with the split chassis.  Difficult to DCC and even harder to add sound, hence the newer chassis 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, jools1959 said:

One of Bachmann’s earliest model’s with the split chassis.  Difficult to DCC and even harder to add sound, hence the newer chassis 

If using the existing chassis..Easiest way to upgrade this is via the tender..

dismantle the split chassis, feed a 2 wire (of 4 wire) with a loop between the block and plastic separater, on each side.

Thread that back under the cab and to the tender.

In the tender put the DCC harness, and wire back to the loco motor using the other 2 wires.

if using sound there is space in the tender to add in a speaker.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I'm 40 miles away from my Jubilee collection at the moment so may be talking out of my hat, but the easiest way to do this may be to simply use the old Stanier tender in it's entirety and just adapt the coupling between it and the loco. In fact, if you can get the new chassis to fit the old body you may not have to adapt anything as (as far as I can remember) the old loco-tender coupling is just a big peg on the tender engaging on the rear of the drag beam under the cab. The new chassis has the now standard chassis to chassis coupling instead. 

I'm getting quite good at cobbling one good old-chassis one out of two duff Ebay ones (I find the plastic slide bars break almost as often as the axle muffs) but I've not tried new chassis to old body yet. I did get a Hornby Royal Scot chassis to fit the old body shortly before it crumbled to dust in a cloud of crappy mazak dust.    

• Like 1

You can either adapt your existing split chassis with a 4-pin plug and socket available on eBay and do all the wiring in the tender, (I did a Royal Scot), or change the chassis for a new one. I've done this with all my Royal Scots and Jubilees, both need a plasticard build up at the front and back to provide a screw mounting for the body, the Jubilees also need filing down inside to allow the wheels nearest the cab to clear.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Problem is that I sold the chassis to a friend of mine who was looking for something similar for a project.  He’s old school and DC only, so I didn’t think it would be a problem to find a new DCC ready chassis.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/06/2022 at 00:26, jools1959 said:

I fitted sound to my old Bachmann "Orion" in addition to improve the running qualities, i.e. stalling, I fitted a Hornby drawbar and tender chassis under the Bachmann tender body.  The attached photo might help you.

IMG_2771.thumb.JPG.a8b70bf5d21eaec2d324c2d2ac40efc9.JPGIMG_2772.thumb.JPG.242a5c941d85845cbb48d9075a1fe7a3.JPG

Mike

Edited by tarifa
deleted attachment
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I sold the chassis of the loco as that’s all he just wanted, and the tender chassis had a serious defect and only good for the bin.  In time, I’ll probably get one of the newer Bachmann Jubilee’s, possibly with DCC and sound.

I’m pretty sure that I’ll get my version of ‘Bahamas’ finished only to have Bachmann announce their new super doper version 🤨

15 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I sold the chassis of the loco as that’s all he just wanted, and the tender chassis had a serious defect and only good for the bin.  In time, I’ll probably get one of the newer Bachmann Jubilee’s, possibly with DCC and sound.

I’m pretty sure that I’ll get my version of ‘Bahamas’ finished only to have Bachmann announce their new super doper version 🤨

If only. Bachmann has suspended the Parallel Scot. If that isn’t judged viable, I doubt that a Jubilee would be. A shame. 😭

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann dcc Jubilees come with two types of chassis the early ones with the DCC socket in the boiler,  later ones have them in the tender. The chassis is the same both the Jubilee and the parallel Patriot and are interchangeable. Though if mixing tender and chassis try to get the dcc socket to match. 

The older models from Mainline later Bachmann chassis are interchangeable with the older jubilee, and rebuilt Scot’s/ Pats. I would think the body’s should drop straight on the newer chassis however fixings may need to be made. To be honest I have only fitted the old Parallel Scot body one to a new jubilee chassis. Markit wheels fitted. But the body dropped on with no problem. However new fixings had to be made to secure the body to the chassis. Nothing to hard about that though. 

988853A5-4B5C-42F5-9936-DD0B84C211EB.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Like 1

Jubilees from new, IIRC, were intended to have the short WB Stanier tenders as mentioned above.  The reason I read was that turntables on the ex Midland lines were too short for the long WB Stanier tender.  Plans later changed and the Stanier tenders were reallocated (I don't remember where, 8Fs maybe).  A lot of Jubilees were given Fowler tenders.

I built a Gibson kit for Bachmann's Nelson.

P1010004-001.JPG.dd3d4ef1e52de283512559223f210f27.JPG

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jubilees are a minefield for details nearly as bad as black fives, 4 tenders types, long and short fireboxes, domed and domless boilers two different smoke box saddles and ( only if 1mm bothers you in scale ) long and short front bogies. But to be fair most differences had gone by BR days. I’ve managed most types all based on the dcc Bachmann model just need the Stanier 3500 gal tender the high sided Fowler tender goes nicely with a Jubilee but only ten ever built. 

72CFB406-B383-4FF8-A0FD-CC7352C1F3D8.jpeg

8A65B567-DC4D-45C8-B44E-A39B4FB5696C.jpeg

• Like 3