Hornby Great Western release dates

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

I've had a further email from Hornby today about release dates:

Tintagel Castle - now due July - I forgot to as if that was R2848X - The DCC fitted one.

28xx 2-8-0 R2916x is due out the end of August. (DCC fitted) - This is ther Collet goods loco with GWR shirtbutton logo on the tender.

The new 61xx is due at the end of July. I thought I read somewhere (maybe Model Rail January) that this was new tooling. Hornby advise today it is not new tooling, just DCC ready. (Presumably for the first time.)

Really looking forward to late Summer, although it's going to be expensive!!! Not sure I can justify two 28xx, maybe two Castles though!

Let's hope the dates don't slip again and that there is enough stock to go round!

Regards,

Neal

• RMweb Premium

Neal,

did you hear anything about R2915 (No. 2818 - the NRM 28XX with "Great Western" on the tender)?

I am looking forward to Tintagel Castle.

No sorry did not ask. Just checking on the shirtbutton tender, in an effort to keep the roundel alive!

I assume that is the 2884 class if its the Collett type?

R2916 is illustrated on the Hornby website as No. 2812. I imagine Neal intended Churchward where he wrote Collett.

The only GWR liveried 2884 class (with the Collett era cab window) that Hornby announced is R2918 which they illustrate as carrying No. 3803. This is in Hawksworth livery. I have no idea when these are expected.

• RMweb Gold

Typical.Theyr'e like buses you wait for one for ages then two or three come along at once.This will give my wallet a hammering. :blink:

I bet theyr'e released when I'm on holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I've had a further email from Hornby today about release dates:

Tintagel Castle - now due July - I forgot to as if that was R2848X - The DCC fitted one.

28xx 2-8-0 R2916x is due out the end of August. (DCC fitted) - This is ther Collet goods loco with GWR shirtbutton logo on the tender.

The new 61xx is due at the end of July. I thought I read somewhere (maybe Model Rail January) that this was new tooling. Hornby advise today it is not new tooling, just DCC ready. (Presumably for the first time.)

Really looking forward to late Summer, although it's going to be expensive!!! Not sure I can justify two 28xx, maybe two Castles though!

Let's hope the dates don't slip again and that there is enough stock to go round!

Regards,

Neal

The 61xx has been released DCC ready before. Apart from that, it looks damn good for us Western lovers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Tintagel Castle - Now October.

No update on 28xx or 61xx.

At least we now know why the Castle was not included in the July newsletter and more significantly, in the GWR 175 adverts.

Will it really be here in October???

What about the comments on 2nd July in MRE Mag from Simon Kohler that it would be in the Uk from 5th July........

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Three of the '28s' were on show in a display case at Swindon today - 3803 in 'shirtbutton' livery, 2818 with full 'Great Western' on the tender and the oddity - 2810 in late BR black.

2810 caused me a problem as I couldn't recall it being in the catalogue in the condition in which it was shown but Simon Kohler assured me it is as it will be released. Well that's going to be minus a few points for Hornby as (the lightened to show the detail) pic below shows it to have no outside steam pipes whereas the RCTS lists it as having outside steampipes from NOvember 1947, i.e. before it acquired any sort of BR livery. Not a problem assuming the right etched plates are available but even then the choice for locos in the later BR emblem with no outside steampipes is pretty limited. While it's hardly a major bonus there's a small silver lining on my particular cloud as I won't now have to bother with repainting a green one to get one in any sort of BR livery without the outside steampipes. But what a boob on Hornby's part :huh:

But that faux pas apart the locos look to be well up to the standard of 'Castle' - perhaps even beyond it - and well worth the wait; I understand they will be in the shops before the end of this month.

post-6859-070582300 1284230652_thumb.jpg

post-6859-026312400 1284230667_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting those photos Mike... what a great looking model! With this impending release in mind I took some shots of 3803 at Toddington this week, as it was being loaded onto a trailor (forgot to ask where it was going :rolleyes: ), thought I may as well post them here.... hope they are of some use...

Nidge ;)

post-7638-012412700 1284233279_thumb.jpg

post-7638-014681100 1284233358_thumb.jpg

post-7638-072921800 1284233509_thumb.jpg

post-7638-064457500 1284233741_thumb.jpg

post-7638-011385200 1284233826_thumb.jpg

post-7638-069835800 1284233917_thumb.jpg

post-7638-019088400 1284233992_thumb.jpg

post-7638-082302800 1284234074_thumb.jpg

post-7638-088449800 1284234156_thumb.jpg

post-7638-051051700 1284234249_thumb.jpg

post-7638-015493200 1284234345_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Weird that the 2810 model on show is wrong for late crest BR, lets hope Hornby realise this and either re-number or re-crest it.

Sadly far too late if expected to be available in the shops by the end of this month. They should already be on a boat...

At least this has solved my Churchward or Collett cab dilemna, because I too wanted a BR livery with inside steam pipes. I just thought I would have longer to save up. Seems not, now.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting those photos Mike... what a great looking model! With this impending release in mind I took some shots of 3803 at Toddington this week, as it was being loaded onto a trailor (forgot to ask where it was going :rolleyes: ), thought I may as well post them here.... hope they are of some use...

Nidge ;)

Very nice Nidge - you'll find a somewhat more latterday BR appearance here, and yes - still in traffic!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/gallery/image/5087-2852-didcot-shed-c1963/

Very nice Nidge - you'll find a somewhat more latterday BR appearance here, and yes - still in traffic!

http://www.rmweb.co....cot-shed-c1963/

Thanks Mike, I'm sure that Didcot shot will turn will turn out to be very useful ;) . I wish I'd taken a few more of 3807 actually, the haulier chaps didn't seem to mind folk getting up close taking snaps while they were busy working (I wasn't the only one). I still think that GW locos look half naked without a BR smokebox number plate though!

I picked up some handy b&w prints of various 28xx / 38xx's in Howes the other day too... looking forward to bagging a Hornby one soon.

Nidge ;)

Three of the '28s' were on show in a display case at Swindon today - 3803 in 'shirtbutton' livery ...

And very nice they were, too. Incidentally, 3803 is shown in the catalogue as having Hawksworth 'GWR' lettering on the tender (R2918 and R2918X). So which are we going to get, I wonder?

• RMweb Premium

Three of the '28s' were on show in a display case at Swindon today - 3803 in 'shirtbutton' livery,

And very nice they were, too. Incidentally, 3803 is shown in the catalogue as having Hawksworth 'GWR' lettering on the tender (R2918 and R2918X). So which are we going to get, I wonder?

I think Mike's earlier Post 11 (including photo) answers your question - 3803 will be 'shirtbutton', not G W R, livery.

It does seem as though Hornby has changed the specs for a number of the 2800/2884 locos they are producing compared with what's in the catalogue. What a mess that's going to make with everyone's pre-orders... :rolleyes:. I think I'm going to have to wait for all versions to be available before deciding which to buy, or if I need to wait. I would expect there will be more variants in the 2011 Hornby Catalogue.

I think Mike's earlier Post 11 (including photo) answers your question - 3803 will be 'shirtbutton', not G W R, livery.

It does seem as though Hornby has changed the specs for a number of the 2800/2884 locos they are producing compared with what's in the catalogue. What a mess that's going to make with everyone's pre-orders... :rolleyes:. I think I'm going to have to wait for all versions to be available before deciding which to buy, or if I need to wait. I would expect there will be more variants in the 2011 Hornby Catalogue.

I hope that they are not repeating the confusion they made with the Schools. When the Schools were announced, none of their proprietary data sources: the Christmas announcement, printed catalogue or on-line catalogue matched. It was chaos trying to order anything, though because it took so long for them to actually ship the Schools everything for me got sorted in the end.

If it helps anyone here's my interpretation from Hornby's on-line calendar

Hornby | Running -| Steam --| Tender

Number | Number --| Pipes --| Side

==================================================================

R2915 -| No. 2818 | Inside -| Great __ Western (NRM)

R2916 -| No. 2812 | Inside -| shirtbutton

R2917 -| No. 2810 | Outside | BR late crest (shown without steam pipes at STEAM)

R2918 -| No. 3803 | Outside | G W R (shown with Shirtbutton at STEAM)

R2919 -| No. 2891 | Outside | BR late crest

I am completely ignorant regarding the 2800/2884 steam pipes other than this tantalizing clue from Wikipedia: "The only serious problem met with in traffic was with the sealing of the internal steam pipes. Beginning in 1934 most of the class had them replaced with the outside kind." Were all the 2800s built with inside steam pipes? What about the 2884s?

If i've read my RCTS Locos of the GWR Part 9 correctly

Were all the 2800s built with inside steam pipes? Yes, but all except 2863/68/80 were subsequently converted, between 1934 and 54

What about the 2884s? Outside steam pipes from new

Fitting dates for the Hornby Locos

No. 2818 Outside steam pipes fitted, date not recorded

No. 2812 Outside steam pipes fitted 2/47

No. 2810 Outside steam pipes fitted 11/47

Thanks Rod. That really helps me make sense of it.

If you look at No 2810 on the Hornby Website, you can see that the image is photoshopped. The "black" on the locomotive is clearly green, compared with the black on the tender.

Archived