Hornby Great Western release dates

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

If i've read my RCTS Locos of the GWR Part 9 correctly

Were all the 2800s built with inside steam pipes? Yes, but all except 2863/68/80 were subsequently converted, between 1934 and 54

What about the 2884s? Outside steam pipes from new

I'm not sure if you have Rod - or do you have an amended edition (my Part 9 was as published, i.e. 1962) and shows the following definitely not fitted with new cylinders amd thus not converted to outside steam pipes - 2805, 2815, 2825, 2863, 2868 (all withdrawn unaltered). Additionally 2880 is mentioned in the text as being withdrawn unaltered but is not definitely shown as such in the tabular entry. Further in the tabular entry no date for a cylinder/outside steam pipe change is given for several other locos thus leaving a question mark over them but one (the preserved 2818) does not have outside steam pipes and still retains the orginal front end - as such I think it is the only preserved loco to at least represent that part of the class's original condition, which is why I understood it had been chosen for preservation in the National Collection.

Similarly the tabular entry does not give cylinder renewal/steam pipe conversion dates for the following locos 2871 - 2874 incl, and 2877/79/91/83 so it is unclear whether or not they were converted.

The version numbered 2810 which Hornby had on display at Swindon is clearly incorrect for that loco - but it would do for a handful, literally, of others which, at least in theory, survived long enough to carry the second BR crest.

The only other alternative is to look for reliably dated photos which might turn up further useful information.

If you look at No 2810 on the Hornby Website, you can see that the image is photoshopped. The "black" on the locomotive is clearly green, compared with the black on the tender.

I agree, it does have a green hue about it. Incidentally 2810 was withdrawn in Sept 1959 so could only have carried that emblem for a few years at most.

Similarly the tabular entry does not give cylinder renewal/steam pipe conversion dates for the following locos 2871 - 2874 incl, and 2877/79/91/83 so it is unclear whether or not they were converted.

Both 2873 which is in store at the South Devon Railway and 2874 which we purchased last year are inside steam pipe, below is a picture of 2874 being unloaded at our Midlands restoration base in January. Whether 2871/2 also retained their inside steam pipe pattern cylinder blocks I unfotunately don't know, shall have to do some digging. I'm going to hold out until they release a '2884' in early BR, please Hornby number one 3850 for me!

post-7911-062301500 1285090072_thumb.jpg

Two 28xx's that certainly did not receive outside steam pipes were 2805 which also retained it's square front frames and 2881. Both these Newton Abbot engines were withdrawn as such in May and January 1960 respectively, still adorned with the early BR Crest.

I await with interest the eventual incarnation of the Hornby offering but the pre-production image of 2810 looks flawed. It even has the fire iron tunnel along the footplate that was the preserve of the 2884's only! Fingers crossed these details are sorted before production of what otherwise should be a little beauty.

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Did they give a reason? it is not as if they are rare, despite being limited to 1000 there appear to be lots around. If Hattons accepted a pre-order from you then it is incumbent on them to supply one for you, perhaps you should insist they give you an explanation.

Regarding Castles, I received an email from Hattons this morning telling me that my pre-ordered 7007 Great Western had been cancelled. Anyone else had a similar issue?

I had one on pre-order too, but several weeks ago I saw one for sale locally here in NZ so cancelled the Hattons order and bought it. Seems Hattons either didn't get many, or received none at all, or sold out any they had on a first-ordered first-served basis?

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Regarding Castles, I received an email from Hattons this morning telling me that my pre-ordered 7007 Great Western had been cancelled. Anyone else had a similar issue?

It does seem strange as I'm sure I saw them on Hattons website available for general sale, implying they had some left after fulfilling their pre-orders.

When on the few occasions I have pre-ordered something, I have always signed up for Hattons' email notification for when the item comes into stock. These notifications seem to be sent only when pre-orders have been satisfied and the item is on their website for general sale, so a useful reminder to check on the status of the pre-order rather than risk a mistake as may have happened in your case.

Did they give a reason? it is not as if they are rare, despite being limited to 1000 there appear to be lots around. If Hattons accepted a pre-order from you then it is incumbent on them to supply one for you, perhaps you should insist they give you an explanation.

I'm not sure I agree that it is incumbent on them to provide one. A shop could in good faith take pre-orders up to a certain number of an item based on what the manufacturer says it will supply, but if the manufacturer delivers fewer than ordered, it's hardly the shop's fault.

Im looking at dipping my toe into the world of steam sound locomotives and being a Welsh lad of Great Western leaning the Castle would be the perfect starting point. Ive seen a few video's on youtube of the castle at work it sounds good, but I have a few questions.....is there a standard working noise when running onto which you can add function sounds eg, whistle etc like diesel locomotives? Also does the model start and stop with realistic sound such as slow motion with fast sounds and fast motion with slow sound when stopping ? or is it all about practice makes perfect ?

Kind Regards

Bluebird.

• RMweb Premium

It does seem strange as I'm sure I saw them on Hattons website available for general sale, implying they had some left after fulfilling their pre-orders.

When on the few occasions I have pre-ordered something, I have always signed up for Hattons' email notification for when the item comes into stock. These notifications seem to be sent only when pre-orders have been satisfied and the item is on their website for general sale, so a useful reminder to check on the status of the pre-order rather than risk a mistake as may have happened in your case.

It gets stranger... Just looking on Hattons for something else, and have seen that the 7007 Great Western L/E is showing in stock (more than 10) Castle 7007 @ Hattons.

• 3 weeks later...

Any further news on when Tintagle Castle will be out? - Kind of loosing interest now!!

I know the feeling Neal. :(

I'm still quite excited to see it - whenever that might be. The Castles released so far look so good that eventually it will feel like it was worth the wait, notwithstanding the fact that we are now 22 months since product announcement and still counting.

I am looking forward to publication of Hornby's Interim Report for 2010 to see if they will once more comment on their supply chain. The interim report summarizes their business through September.

My guess is that the Sanda Kan shake up (discussed here ) is a big part of the delay to Tintagel Castle. The errors that were sent back to the factory for re-spin are part of this whole issue.

• RMweb Gold

I'm still quite excited to see it - whenever that might be. The Castles released so far look so good that eventually it will feel like it was worth the wait, notwithstanding the fact that we are now 22 months since product announcement and still counting.

I am looking forward to publication of Hornby's Interim Report for 2010 to see if they will once more comment on their supply chain. The interim report summarizes their business through September.

My guess is that the Sanda Kan shake up (discussed here ) is a big part of the delay to Tintagel Castle. The errors that were sent back to the factory for re-spin are part of this whole issue.

The release of the 28xx before Tintagel was also a surprise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Latest email from Hornby following my regular dates query!

Tintagel Castle - now due to be released "before Christmas" - Apparently there was a problem with the tooling.

Plus, I asked about GWR (Shirtbutton) 28xx which they advise will be released at the end of November and will be on the website from the early December.

Clearly Hornby have been having huge problems this year with their production in China. Maybe they should bring the manufacturing back to Margate - create loads of jobs, but would we be prepared to pay the extra.... £20 (guess).... just a thought, but maybe as a country we should start taking these decisions? - let's start making things again!!

Clearly Hornby have been having huge problems this year with their production in China. Maybe they should bring the manufacturing back to Margate - create loads of jobs, but would we be prepared to pay the extra.... £20 (guess).... just a thought, but maybe as a country we should start taking these decisions? - let's start making things again!!

I doubt Hornby shareholders will want to see their dividend disappear for massive investment in equipment that would be required for such a move or the requirements of the British labour market. Plus they'd still need to pay someone in China to do the tooling or invest in the CAD workers in the UK as well.. Its just not worth their effort to offset some models being held up a bit.

Just have the pre-order done and you don't have to worry about looking out for it, it'll just turn up when its ready.

• RMweb Premium

I doubt Hornby shareholders will want to see their dividend disappear for massive investment in equipment that would be required for such a move or the requirements of the British labour market. Plus they'd still need to pay someone in China to do the tooling or invest in the CAD workers in the UK as well.. Its just not worth their effort to offset some models being held up a bit.

Just have the pre-order done and you don't have to worry about looking out for it, it'll just turn up when its ready.

Understand all that Craig - I've had Tintagel on order since January 2010 - getting a bit of a joke now.

just thought I would throw in the state of the UK economy, it would certainly provide welcome releif to the Margate workforce!!

Archived