Warley National Exhibition 26th & 27th November 2022

Chris M

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, rab said:

Already answered here:

I think for a balanced perspective it should have gone to the show anyway. . . The site of two pairs of feet poking out from under a dead layout with " well I'm bejiggered if I know why it wont work !" Followed by lots more indistinguishable mutterings, is a scene recenacted in many points around the country and is part and parcel of Railway Modeling 🤬  🤗

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

Its interesting that Crewlisle, which I think the owner will agree is not all that prototypical but is nicely modelled and was built so there are plenty of trains running, has raised quite a few comments. I think this indicates there are a lot of visitors who love and remember exhibition layouts where there is plenty of action.  I hope Crewlisle is back on the circuit in the not too distant future.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Chris M said:

Its interesting that Crewlisle, which I think the owner will agree is not all that prototypical but is nicely modelled and was built so there are plenty of trains running, has raised quite a few comments. I think this indicates there are a lot of visitors who love and remember exhibition layouts where there is plenty of action.  I hope Crewlisle is back on the circuit in the not too distant future.

I think Warley 2022 (or more accurately, Warley 2020!) was planned to be its farewell performance. Whilst I hope it can be resurrected for 2023 I suspect any further appearances are unlikely.

10 hours ago, Matt C said:

I think for a balanced perspective it should have gone to the show anyway. . . The site of two pairs of feet poking out from under a dead layout with " well I'm bejiggered if I know why it wont work !" Followed by lots more indistinguishable mutterings, is a scene recenacted in many points around the country and is part and parcel of Railway Modeling 🤬  🤗

Yes, it happens. But I'm surprised there weren't the material resources to fix it at an exhibition of that size.

12 hours ago, Matt C said:

But if he knew in enough time that his layout was not working then he, his team and the layout can be removed from the cost of the exhibition - travel, hotels, food etc.  Otherwise all the Warley team have done is pay for him and a couple of mates to transport a layout x miles, put them up in a hotel, feed them and give them a 2 day pass to the show.

And from the personal perspective of the owner I seem to recall he was quite proud of what he had built; having it sat there with no trains running would not be something he would want and it could then leave a lasting impression of a layout that doesn't work on some people rather than the intense operation experience he likes to give.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But if he knew in enough time that his layout was not working then he, his team and the layout can be removed from the cost of the exhibition - travel, hotels, food etc.  Otherwise all the Warley team have done is pay for him and a couple of mates to transport a layout x miles, put them up in a hotel, feed them and give them a 2 day pass to the show.

And from the personal perspective of the owner I seem to recall he was quite proud of what he had built; having it sat there with no trains running would not be something he would want and it could then leave a lasting impression of a layout that doesn't work on some people rather than the intense operation experience he likes to give.

Yeah I THINK my post was a little bit tongue in cheek/ humorous rather than an actual serious suggestion 😉

I'm sure it was very frustrating for the owner. I hope he still gets to take it out for one last spin

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Yeah I THINK my post was a little bit tongue in cheek/ humorous rather than an actual serious suggestion 😉

I'm sure it was very frustrating for the owner. I hope he still gets to take it out for one last spin

Your post was fine - it came over as "tongue in cheek" - I was not so keen on the level of insight and understanding shown in a subsequent post...

6 hours ago, Chris M said:

From my point of view, in 2020 I started building a new layout having not had anything to do with model railways for nearly 30 years. One of the things I really wanted was some way of having a train leave a terminus station, enter a two track roundy-roundy loop, then be able to return to the station without having to reverse, and all in as little space as possible. Crewlisle was one of the layouts I found online that had pulled something like this off; its multi-layer approach was a huge inspiration and is probably one of the main reasons I have the layout I have now and am very happy with it. I've poured over the track plan a lot since I started planning mine so would have loved to see the real thing.

I've reused several other ideas I got from Crewlisle such as short removeable sections of track to allow reliable running over curves over baseboard joins. It has been very helpful.

Edited by Phil Himsworth
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is my first post on here as I normally frequent forums and Facebook pages for the 12" to the foot variety. I thought, however, it was a good place to start as my dad's layout, Crewlisle, has been mentioned a few times on here and, unfortunately, was unable to attend Warley this year due to a last minute electrical issue.  Whilst that was a fairy minor issue, my dad was worried about whether it would be fixed in time and he didn't want an exhibition failure and he was also concerned about the convoluted parking/drop-off arrangements for the van, meaning that, regrettably, he had to pull out.

This was, in any event, going to be his last exhibition visit as it has been on the circuit for some years, with me helping him with the first one around 1983. Whilst I've dropped away from the model railway scene over the years, I was looking forward to going to Warley with him for this one but it was not to be.

The reason for this post is that it has got to the stage where my dad is considering selling his layout. At this stage it is the layout only and no stock will be included. This will leave any purchaser free to model it on their own preferences of traction/stock. 

The layout has been to the NEC five times and Alexandra Palace twice and has always been a popular attraction. If I were to take it off my dad's hands, I seriously wonder whether it would get any use, not to mention that I am not technically minded. I'm more of a display person. 

The layout can be found on YouTube by searching for Crewlisle and one video is here:

The layout is based in Plymouth. I am happy to set up any video viewings with my dad. I have not stated a price as sensible offers will be considered. However, if anybody reading this would like to venture a price, even if they are not interested in applying, it will confirm how realistic my dad's expectations are. Thank you for reading.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi welcome to RMWeb

I hate to say it IMHO but the chances of getting a price reflecting all the time and effort (as well as money) that has been invested in the layout is a bit slim.

I hope I am proven wrong.

Just now, melmerby said:

Hi welcome to RMWeb

I hate to say it IMHO but the chances of getting a price reflecting all the time and effort (as well as money) that has been invested in the layout is a bit slim.

I hope I am proven wrong.

Thanks. It's just a case of testing the water at the moment. I appreciate that you can't put a price on the time and effort that has gone into it but my way of looking at it is that if someone were to want to build a layout from scratch, all the materials to do this would be pretty expensive.

At the same time, I also appreciate that someone building a layout will want to make their own design, although this would suit someone of my skill level! 

• RMweb Gold

FWIW - when I have sold layouts( exhibition standard and usually "published") I have simply tried to calculate the cost of major items such as track, point motors, significant structures and then talk to the buyer. The price never reflects the "labour" I'm afraid

Chris

PS I loved Crewlisle whenever I saw it - brilliant.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Seeing this thread reappearing remind me of the concerns raised about the effect the rail strike at the time might have had on attendance and subsequently on the finances of the exhibition.

I'm assuming by now the treasurer has had time to do their sums.

Do we know how the figures compared to other years?

Edited by rab

31 minutes ago, rab said:

Seeing this thread reappearing remind me of the concerns raised about the effect the rail strike at the time might have had on attendance and subsequently on the finances of the exhibition.

I'm assuming by now the treasurer has had time to do their sums.

Do we know how the figures compared to other years?

So far as I am aware nobody from the club issues attendance figures. That seems to be normal for pretty much all exhibitions. While the Saturday was much quieter than normal the Sunday was much busier. 

What I do know is that a poster for this year's show has been printed so the 2022 Warley NEC exhibition must have done well enough for there to be a 2023 exhibition.

poster2023.jpg.66be59b8fb89a932dce8aadb3dddef66.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

And Warley club is putting on an open day at it's clubroom this month. Admission is FREE! I understand there will be bacon baps and cakes for sale, a secondhand stall, oh and 14 or so layouts in various states from bare boards to complete up and running.

1570905486_openday.jpg.b6b266357c7ed61e5eae4ef6f99c1201.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope people don’t mind me briefly resurrecting this thread. I’m off to Boat Life at the NEC on Saturday, and I was wondering what the Spoons is like there? I’m looking to go there for my lunch.

Now that I think about it there are two Wetherspoons at the NEC. Hopefully they’re not too expensive? I’m conscious that the Wetherspoons inside Birmingham Airport is very pricey, practically double the prices of a normal Spoons.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Liam said:

I hope people don’t mind me briefly resurrecting this thread. I’m off to Boat Life at the NEC on Saturday, and I was wondering what the Spoons is like there? I’m looking to go there for my lunch.

Now that I think about it there are two Wetherspoons at the NEC. Hopefully they’re not too expensive? I’m conscious that the Wetherspoons inside Birmingham Airport is very pricey, practically double the prices of a normal Spoons.

Here’s the menu for one of the two, the Atrium

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/food/menu?pubId=5397