RMweb

‘Worthing’ branded wagons

Hello.

I’m looking either RTR or kit form wagons, which are branded with a ‘Worthing’ in Sussex based company. I’ve searched internet and checked out the Dapol range, but can’t find anything?

Grateful if anyones knows of any wagons with Worthing branding please?

thanks

• RMweb Premium

I have never found anything directly Worthing connected and (unusually) the normally helpful Middleton Press volumes on Worthing do not show any likely Private Owner wagons in the area.  Nearest I have found is one for Hailsham and the Bognor Coal & Coke Company.

• RMweb Premium

As a resident there is a tendency for companies to use names other than Worthing; Brighton, Hove, Rustington, Goring, etc...

I think maybe Worthing as a whole is a relatively recent construct in popular consciousness from when the housing expanded out from the 30's on. People held onto identities such as Tarring, Findon, etc which are now rolled into West Worthing but would have still been separated by fields when PO wagons were in common usage.

• Informative/Useful 1

Lightmoor Press are due to publish another book on PO wagons covering the remainder of the south East in the area covered by the LBSCR, by Simon Turner, which should flush out some useful examples. I have a record of Edward King of Worthing, and a note regarding the Worthing and West Worthing Co-Op. Don’t forget that Worthing would have been served by wagons from larger agencies from Brighton and London, as well as directly from collieries or via their factors.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, SR71 said:

As a resident there is a tendency for companies to use names other than Worthing; Brighton, Hove, Rustington, Goring, etc...

I think maybe Worthing as a whole is a relatively recent construct in popular consciousness from when the housing expanded out from the 30's on. People held onto identities such as Tarring, Findon, etc which are now rolled into West Worthing but would have still been separated by fields when PO wagons were in common usage.

Living in West Worthing (off Grand Avenue), I can understand how Tarring might be considered to be in “West Worthing” but Findon?  I don’t think so.  At nearly five miles, its one mighty walk from West Worthing station.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Living in West Worthing (off Grand Avenue), I can understand how Tarring might be considered to be in “West Worthing” but Findon?  I don’t think so.  At nearly five miles, its one mighty walk from West Worthing station.

Cheers

Darius

Is there a Tarring AHB crossing? I had an aunt who lived in Findon, she and hubby having come back from an abortive attempt to settle in Oz. I think the SS Canberra carried them one way. 

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Cheers

Darius

Knew someone would pick up on that 😁

While not setting out to bait anyone it's always struck me the residents of Findon were probably quite annoyed when the welcome to Worthing signs went up.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/n1KBQ7MfYMZ4rYU79

Oddly on Google it's only there in certain views and none from the front.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Is there a Tarring AHB crossing? I had an aunt who lived in Findon, she and hubby having come back from an abortive attempt to settle in Oz. I think the SS Canberra carried them one way. 

The Level Crossings at West Worthing and Worthing Stations are full barrier as are the ones at Ferring, East Preston and Angmering.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Premium
On 26/06/2022 at 10:05, SR71 said:

Knew someone would pick up on that 😁

While not setting out to bait anyone it's always struck me the residents of Findon were probably quite annoyed when the welcome to Worthing signs went up.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/n1KBQ7MfYMZ4rYU79

Oddly on Google it's only there in certain views and none from the front.

Update: seems the residents of Findon did indeed take umbrage. Driving in today the sign is no longer there.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Update: seems the residents of Findon did indeed take umbrage. Driving in today the sign is no longer there.

More likely to have been pinched by a couple of likely lads in a untaxed battered old Mercedes Sprinter van!  There has been a few tatty vans going around Sussex recently nicking anything metallic that isn't nailed down.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, divibandit said:

Is that one of Simply Southern's?

According to the Google image data it’s a limited edition commissioned directly from Dapol by the Burnham & District MRC.

Cheers

Darius

On 25/06/2022 at 20:29, Nick Holliday said:

Lightmoor Press are due to publish another book on PO wagons covering the remainder of the south East in the area covered by the LBSCR, by Simon Turner, which should flush out some useful examples. I have a record of Edward King of Worthing, and a note regarding the Worthing and West Worthing Co-Op. Don’t forget that Worthing would have been served by wagons from larger agencies from Brighton and London, as well as directly from collieries or via their factors.

It's at the printers apparently...

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2022 at 21:57, Darius43 said:

According to the Google image data it’s a limited edition commissioned directly from Dapol by the Burnham & District MRC.

Cheers

Darius

Burnham-on-Sea MRC have commissioned a huge number of PO wagons. They are a mixture of authentic or close liveries and ones that don't appear to have a real basis in historical fact. For example I have not found any evidence for John Bland's timber company having any railway wagons.  As someone who models railways in that area of Somerset I have found it a bit frustrating to work out what is fact and what is fiction. Their range has covered a wider area than that and there seem to be some connections to Kent and Sussex, as well as counties nearer Somerset. That does not even go into the question of the base model and its suitability for the livery, whether authentic or not. It appears to have been a worthwhile fund-raising venture in the past and I am sure some modellers have been happy to run wagons with links to the areas or companies they model, whether authentic or not. I think it may have ceased now.

You can see some of the ones commissioned from Dapol here, although I don't know whether there are others from other manufacturers. https://www.Dapol.co.uk/special-commissions/burnham-amp-district-mrc

Edited by phil_sutters