Coach number suffixes

diyceejay

4 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

There's a partial view of M16830W at Lostock Jc. in "Railways around Manchester".  It was the leading vehicle in a train coming from the Wigan direction and heading towards Bolton, dated 6.11.65.  It may even have originated in Southport!

Ray.

I'll have to dig it out. I've got that one somewhere. 

Jason

• RMweb Premium
On 28/06/2022 at 02:37, dibber25 said:

I think you're right. I seem to recall official pics of the Clacton units with GE prefixes - probably the only place I would have seen them. Edited to add photo from 1963 Model Railway Constructor which appeared with scaled-up GAs of these 'state of the art' units. (CJL)

GE Clacton unit.jpeg

In that example, everyone else would have wondered 'How did that get here'? The WR would have panicked!

Edited by kevinlms
Duplication of word

On 27/06/2022 at 17:37, dibber25 said:

I think you're right. I seem to recall official pics of the Clacton units with GE prefixes - probably the only place I would have seen them. Edited to add photo from 1963 Model Railway Constructor which appeared with scaled-up GAs of these 'state of the art' units. (CJL)

GE Clacton unit.jpeg

The Trans-Pennine sets (Class 124) carried NE prefix

• Agree 1

But they didn't originally carry numbers in the BR series ............. they became 311 to 354 in the BR fleet ( reflecting their Pullman Schedule Numbers ) - duplicating Restaurant Firsts M311-339. ( Initially, of course, The First Class Cars didn't carry 'visible' numbers at all - just names.).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

But they didn't originally carry numbers in the BR series ............. they became 311 to 354 in the BR fleet ( reflecting their Pullman Schedule Numbers ) - duplicating Restaurant Firsts M311-339. ( Initially, of course, The First Class Cars didn't carry 'visible' numbers at all - just names.).

Wonder why they didn't give them P suffixes as that would still give them unique numbers

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Even the most illiterate of shunters would be able to tell the difference between a clapped-out private owner wagon and a Pullman.

I do wonder about that in view of the behaviour of a few of the Shunters I encountered over the years.  One of mine had a nasty habit of loose shunting restaurant and buffet cars - and didn't like being caught out when he did it 😇  (BTW I don't think he'd have known what a coal wagon was if he saw one!)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/06/2022 at 13:13, The Stationmaster said:

There was a period when the prefixes GE and NE were applied to passenger carrying stock by the GE Lines management and the North Eastern Region - this would have been c.1961/62.  In the back of my mind I've a feeling - from ageing memory - that the AM9 units vehicles had GE prefixed vehicle numbers from new.

I remember seeing GE prefix coaches at Birmingham New Street on the Norwich/Lowestoft train which arrived just before 1pm and returned around 4pm in the early 1960s. Going off topic they were interesting servicse as prior to Mk1s various pre-nationalisation LNER stock appeared on them including GER and GNR rebuilds. Later a Cravens updated Mk1 prototype used to appear. 

• Like 1