CLAN LINE was out on the main line yesterday.

36 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

What's the wisp of steam from the top of the tender?  I thought there were just vacuum tanks up there.

Does it have a coal pusher?

The way the platform lights were reflecting on the paintwork made it appear like it was trying to become like Ellerman Lines 🤣

• RMweb Premium
On 03/07/2022 at 11:56, 45669 said:

I missed the morning run, but here she is at speed on the way home:

TTFN,

Ron.

Nice to see an express passenger loco do what it was built for, instead of this pedestrian 25mph on heritage lines.

Not much clearance under that overbridge

• RMweb Premium
On 06/07/2022 at 13:50, rogerzilla said:

What's the wisp of steam from the top of the tender?  I thought there were just vacuum tanks up there.

It's the air pump. Most other locos have them either hidden between the frames or next to the smokebox (70000, 5029, 34067). But Clan Line was the first to be fitted with air brakes and they decided on the back of the tender was the best place to fit the pump. I believe that it's frowned upon now as it requires a high pressure steam supply between the loco and tender, hence why all other locos have the pump on the loco itself.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Philou said:

Nice pictures and videos. May I ask though, where was the obligatory diesel at the rear? Asking out of curiosity.

Cheers,

Philip

Diesels are not obligatory.

They are usually tagged on if an ETS supply is needed (for aircon), or for periods of low adhesion, or to aid reversing/shunting operations for turning the train.

35018 British India Line [*]  is a regular past me and it's rare that's there's a diesel on the back.

[*] and other  WCRC locos operating over the S&C

edit: write out 100 times, 35018 is British India Line, not Belgian Marine.......

35018 is British India Line, not Belgian Marine.

cut n paste another 99.

Edited by newbryford
  • Thanks 1

The language used on the advertising of today's train to Weymouth is a little vague - my understanding is that Clan Line is being serviced at Yeovil, with diesel haulage to Weymouth, before Clan Line runs light to Weymouth to take the train the whole way back to London. Is this the case?

I'm in Weymouth today and hoping to photograph it. 

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

The language used on the advertising of today's train to Weymouth is a little vague - my understanding is that Clan Line is being serviced at Yeovil, with diesel haulage to Weymouth, before Clan Line runs light to Weymouth to take the train the whole way back to London. Is this the case?

I'm in Weymouth today and hoping to photograph it. 

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I believe that is correct as RTT shows no arrival in the right time slot. Three specials in today the two all diesels are due out at 16:36 & 18:36 with Clan Line out at 17:09, probably banked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Diesels are not obligatory.

They are usually tagged on if an ETS supply is needed (for aircon), or for periods of low adhesion, or to aid reversing/shunting operations for turning the train.

35018 Belgian Marine [*]  is a regular past me and it's rare that's there's a diesel on the back.

[*] and other  WCRC locos operating over the S&C

35018 is British India Line...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Philou said:

Nice pictures and videos. May I ask though, where was the obligatory diesel at the rear? Asking out of curiosity.

Cheers,

Philip

It was indeed at the rear.

87D6BE69-2D55-47A8-8153-DEAE4350C047.thumb.jpeg.7318a418ccc2d20f5a939b7711f45143.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

@Darius43 Not in the first video through Farnborough Main it wasn't, which why I raised the question as I thought they were obligatory (breakdowns etc.) but from the replies that followed, it seems not always.

Cheers,

Philip