Does anyone know how large chain was transported from manufacturers (possible wagon-load to model)?

C126

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I was thinking in general terms, rather than those you specifically referred to. Most of this thread has concentrated on the larger end of the scale, but there could have been some traffic in less weighty types of chain.

Perhaps the maritime chain has dominated the available photographs owing to their outlandish (at times) size.  I mentioned the industry as a ready example for an 'off-layout' traffic generator.  However, if anyone can suggest uses for smaller sizes (but not so small as for locking gates, etc.), along with transport methods, I would be grateful.  Many thanks for all the info. posted so far.  Very impressed with some of the mathematics on display!

• Like 1

A couple of uses for reasonably big chains:

The steering linkages on traction engines and similar

The chain harrow (a piece of agricultural equipment) - lengths of chain dragged along from a bar to break up the ploughed soil.

Both of those could be an excuse for running a wagonload of chain into even the most remote BLT? (serving some little firm of agricultural engineers off scene). 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Bashing metal is what shipyards did, so my guess is most of them made their own chain, or at least the chain makers would not be too far away in the town.

Didn't one of the Midlands foundries proudly proclaim they made the anchors and chains for RMS Titanic?

The chain and fittings for the anchors weighed around 100 tons.[16] Source is Birmingham Mail 1911

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N._Hingley_%26_Sons_Ltd

Here's one of the anchors as already mentioned earlier.

https://www.globetrotting.com.au/titanics-anchor/#:~:text=The anchor commissioned for the,in Netherton%2C in England's Midlands.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As previously stated, the West Midlands was the centre for this industry - about as far as one can get from the sea in this country.

But the transport of anchors and chains pales into insignificance with the challenge presented by the need to transport 60 ton - 105 ton naval guns from the manufacturers on Coventry and Sheffield to the shipyards at Barrow etc.:

99-0273.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue image of Midland Railway Study Centre item 99-0273.]

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

As previously stated, the West Midlands was the centre for this industry - about as far as one can get from the sea in this country.

But the transport of anchors and chains pales into insignificance with the challenge presented by the need to transport 60 ton - 105 ton naval guns from the manufacturers on Coventry and Sheffield to the shipyards at Barrow etc.:

99-0273.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue image of Midland Railway Study Centre item 99-0273.]

But look at the chains used to secure the load. One other use comes to mind - before the use of wire rope chains were used on cranes.

Andrew

• Like 2

My circa 1990 view of the Lloyds Bute Proving House located at Dumballs Road, Cardiff.

This was not the original site of the 'Proving House' which was about 400 yards further south along Dumballs Road.

This had been the site of Messrs Beal & Son, Anchor & Chain makers, and which was later known as "Lloyds Beal"

These premises are now beneath the offices of Zurich Finance.

Beals Lloyds Bute Proving House-circa 1990.jpg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, br2975 said:

My circa 1990 view of the Lloyds Bute Proving House located at Dumballs Road, Cardiff.

This was not the original site of the 'Proving House' which was about 400 yards further south along Dumballs Road.

This had been the site of Messrs Beal & Son, Anchor & Chain makers, and which was later known as "Lloyds Beal"

These premises are now beneath the offices of Zurich Finance.

Beals Lloyds Bute Proving House-circa 1990.jpg

A beautifully atmospheric shot; thanks for this.  And if I may say, in response to "These premises are now beneath the offices of Zurich Finance", I know which company I would rather dominated our economy to-day.  (I will not honour "Finance" with the appelation of 'industry', as if it did anything useful.)

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

And why "a pair of brothers"?

As far as I can make out brothers are two chains both on a larger link which goes on the crane hook. A pair of brothers is needed where 4 chain slings are required, 2 at each end of the load. No doubt someone more knowledgeable will say if I have got this right. I must admit when I mentioned cranes I was not thinking of chain slings but using chain for hoisting and derricking. 

Andrew

• Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, lanchester said:

A couple of uses for reasonably big chains:

The steering linkages on traction engines and similar

The chain harrow (a piece of agricultural equipment) - lengths of chain dragged along from a bar to break up the ploughed soil.

Both of those could be an excuse for running a wagonload of chain into even the most remote BLT? (serving some little firm of agricultural engineers off scene). 

In the Mitchell and Smith book on the Welshpool and Llanfair there is a picture of a roller and a plough rather than a chain harrow sat on the dock at Llanfair in 1948. But it would not be unreasonable to assume similar loads being sent.

Also cranes at docks? (from ebay)

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Didn't one of the Midlands foundries proudly proclaim they made the anchors and chains for RMS Titanic?

The chain and fittings for the anchors weighed around 100 tons.[16] Source is Birmingham Mail 1911

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N._Hingley_%26_Sons_Ltd

Here's one of the anchors as already mentioned earlier.

https://www.globetrotting.com.au/titanics-anchor/#:~:text=The anchor commissioned for the,in Netherton%2C in England's Midlands.

Jason

Mentioned in the third & fifth posts of this Thread. 🙄 😉

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ships chain was sometimes made in short lengths, which could  load into bolster wagons, etc. The longer the casting foundry floor was, the longer the short length might be. The joint would be cast up in the local shipyard, etc. This practice gave rise to the term 'missing link'.

Sometimes, a length might be governed by having a fault in the castings, so cutting out a faulty link would ensue.  I don't think there are any cast  chain foundries still going, at least in the UK. A lot of chain is made up by welding, as it's more accurate for NDT, and having a known set of ISO standards.

• Thanks 1

On 14/07/2022 at 09:00, billbedford said:

-

Most anchor chain was studded:

Oval-Stud-link-Anchor-Chain-Two-Links-01

This type of chain is available from Shapeways, 3d printed, various sizes, would not know how to reproduce any other way, other than a very tedious soldering job.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, billbedford said:

You can buy studded chain ready-made from shops catering for ship modellers. I'm not sure, though, whether very large link chain, suitable for 7mm scale would be readily available. Not many people build 1:50 scale warships. 

Many thanks @billbedford for this.  The number of chain variations available looks quite wonderful:

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft_chains.html

I will have a proper read of these options at the weekend.  Supplier info. much appreciated; I had just been looking at jewellery craft sites.

• Informative/Useful 2