The gradual return of steam after Network Rail's steam ban and the dry weather

6990WitherslackHall

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Rained here enough last night and today, albeit on the other side of the country. Everything's very soggy right now. At least all my water butts should finally be full.

Lucky you. My garden could be described as portraying Autumn in the Sahara .Some rain simply isn’t enough rain and a magnolia,having already shed its leaves is showing new buds….crazy.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Did they know of the tinder dry conditions?

In defence of the crews I believe they were running brickettes rather than lump coal. From talking to a few crews on other railways it needs a strong draft to get any steam from it otherwise it clinquers up the grate.

From hanging out the window perspective it also breaks up more creating high levels of smuts/cinders.

A highly unfortunate combination currently.

• 6990WitherslackHall changed the title to The gradual return of steam after Network Rail's steam ban

On the North Yorkshire Moors Railway yesterday, 825 and 37403 were working passenger services to and from Whitby all day. They did two trips each: 

825 - 12:00, 13:15

37403 10:40, 16:30.

The other engine running was 63395. 37264 was scheduled to run but didn't so was replaced by 37403.

Today, only 825 is running to Whitby working one service.

Other engines running: 63395, 31128 & 37264.

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

• RMweb Gold

West Somerset and Glos-Warwicks have gone diesel only for this week at least.   Judging by the forecast for the next couple of weeks for the south, I would think others will be joining them.

Must be a good 8-10 weeks now since we had any significant rain at all round here in East Suffolk.......

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, didcot said:

We are of to Wales later this month. Have booked the full Welsh Highland return trip. Hopefully it will be steam.

You should be fine refer to my earlier post of the same line a few weeks back. Another snap;Compress_20220808_160501_1127.jpg.093b67acc87ca74d2ad0800e46dd7766.jpg

I'm surprised the Swanage's response was to call the fire brigade right away. I suspect some miss reporting. Lines I've traveled on recently are carrying petrol water pumps and putting out their own fires. I wouldn't want to risk assess that but if plan A is call the fire brigade then currently you'd have to say it's too much risk and too much of a burden.

Hoping for a few downpours soon!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Hoping for a few downpours soon!

Unlikely - we are going to see 40 degrees again this weekend in the SE. As such I expect the steam ban to be in place again for the south of the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62468842

Turning to Heritage lines, the Bluebell will be slashing their timetable - they are only running between Sheffield park and Horsted, presumably using the 09  (I was doing a signalling turn at Horsted the weekend just gone and there was a long 10mph speed restriction between Horsted and Kingscote due to track issues even at 27 degrees...)

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, SR71 said:

@phil-b259

I was lucky then. I did full length of the line Friday afternoon!

Can't blame them, it was very dry

Poor wording on my part - they were running the whole line last weekend but the long speed restriction messed up the timetable significantly.

The curtailed service is from this Thursday onwards https://www.bluebell-railway.com/today-at-bluebell-railway/

• RMweb Gold

The MHR are running Diesel-only at the moment - it's the 'Thomas' week, but Thomas itself is confined to station limits at Ropley.

Walking along the Kennet & Avon canal on Sunday, there was a field clearly showing signs of a large fire.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nick C said:

The MHR are running Diesel-only at the moment - it's the 'Thomas' week, but Thomas itself is confined to station limits at Ropley.

Walking along the Kennet & Avon canal on Sunday, there was a field clearly showing signs of a large fire.

I saw a YouTube video of the event.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

NYMR are using 47077 now alongside the two 37s and 31128. 

Steam is still running in the form of 825, 63395 and 92134.

After a lineside fire near Sleights yesterday morning and the forecast 30 degree temperatures for the next few days, I wouldn't be surprised if the NYMR goes back to full diesel operation until Monday.

At least KESR, GWSR, Epping and Ongar, Nene Valley, Watercress and SVR now all-diesel services until after the weekend, though the last three have steam operating within station limits. A bit of rain forecast in the southeast on Monday and Tuesday, though it remains to be seen how much.

• RMweb Premium

Rocks by Rail will be running Diesel only this weekend.

While we would love to run steam, and do so whenever we can find an excuse to do it, the weather and ground conditions mean that it just isn't responsible at the moment.

Diesel cab rides this Sunday, and rain dances all round so that we can play properly on the bank Holiday weekend.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1