The gradual return of steam after Network Rail's steam ban and the dry weather

6990WitherslackHall

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

To my mind you miss a lot of the benefit of steam by travelling behind it - you can see it so much better from the lineside than with your head stuck out of a droplight.

But if railtours are confined to winter, there is no fire risk and steam haulage is so much more spectacular when the ground is covered by snow !

Not least the much more spectacular water vapour coming out of the chimney.

• Agree 1

Ironically,the 47 hauling the Dalesman today has broken down on the return journey and the reserve engine has taken over! Would have been so funny if they'd had to call a steam engine from Carnforth to assist

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

But in this case the hot weather (and thus the steam ban) is, in effect much like ATC being on strike or a Volcano exploding. It is NOT under the control of the TOC - so based on your analogy compensation from the TOC to a steam enthusiast is not due.

We're on the same page - the current situation does not guarantee any compensation, whereas it was mentioned that some compensation was offered when Tornado wasn't available due to flats :)

So the next railtour that is supposedly supposed to be using steam (excluding the Jacobite) is the Settle & Carlisle Steam Special on the 30th July. It will be diesel hauled from Coventry to Carnforth where 34067 will take over and head for Carlisle via Shap. 

It'll then leave Carlisle, passing/stopping at Appleby, Hellifield, Blackburn and Preston.

The train will then be taken over by the diesels (WCRC 47/57) to Coventry, via Wolverhampton and Birmingham International.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

To my mind you miss a lot of the benefit of steam by travelling behind it - you can see it so much better from the lineside than with your head stuck out of a droplight.

But if railtours are confined to winter, there is no fire risk and steam haulage is so much more spectacular when the ground is covered by snow !

But with the current model it is only the on-board pax that pay for it. I'm sure a part pax/part crowd-funded experiment could be tried as a funding model to run a tour BUT there would be such a vast number of lineside free-loaders it probably wouldn't be a viable option. 

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

So is there a ban on now or not?

Steam Dreams to Bath today is 2  x 47s...and some LSL LE moves Between Bishops Lydeard and  Bristol have disappeared...suggests so...

• RMweb Gold

But...this was on Dawlish Webcams website according to FB

It seems that both Rail Charter companies concerned are confident there will be two steam hauled specials running this weekend. On Saturday 70000 Britannia will be powering the English Riviera Express, (which starts from Kettering diesel hauled) from Norton Fitzwarren near Taunton to Kingswear. Times through Dawlish are 12.03pm and the return at 5.52pm. On Sunday we welcome on the first of three occasions, the return of LMS 6233 Duchess of Sutherland powering the Royal Duchy from Bristol Temple Meads to Plymouth, where a diesel locomotive takes over to take the train on to Par in Cornwall. Times at Dawlish are 10.44am and return at 6.27pm. Latest news is that the diesel will be included in the train formation to assist to lessen the chance of causing lineside fires. It is likely the same will apply to Britannia on Saturday.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

But...this was on Dawlish Webcams website according to FB

It seems that both Rail Charter companies concerned are confident there will be two steam hauled specials running this weekend. On Saturday 70000 Britannia will be powering the English Riviera Express, (which starts from Kettering diesel hauled) from Norton Fitzwarren near Taunton to Kingswear. Times through Dawlish are 12.03pm and the return at 5.52pm. On Sunday we welcome on the first of three occasions, the return of LMS 6233 Duchess of Sutherland powering the Royal Duchy from Bristol Temple Meads to Plymouth, where a diesel locomotive takes over to take the train on to Par in Cornwall. Times at Dawlish are 10.44am and return at 6.27pm. Latest news is that the diesel will be included in the train formation to assist to lessen the chance of causing lineside fires. It is likely the same will apply to Britannia on Saturday.

Having said that Saturday is a strike day so maybe Britannia won't be out anyway.....

3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Having said that Saturday is a strike day so maybe Britannia won't be out anyway.....

As far as I'm aware, there are seven or eight companies striking including TfL but Northern Rail and TransPennine Express aren't striking.

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I've mentioned previously that Standard 4 76079 is working trains from Grosmont to Whitby. If the ban was still on, 76079 wouldn't be running.

It probably varies by route/area rainfall. As an example we have had no appreciable rain here on the Island for a couple of months but I was looking at the local on-line news for my home City (York) only a couple of hours back and Tadcaster had a short deluge of half an hour that was so heavy it created flash flooding in the High St. If the Esk Valley has had a good wetting it doesn't mean other areas have also had it - I would not expect any Dorset Coast Express through the New Forest to have a steamer on it for a while yet.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

Just read on the local papers website that the North Norfolk railway is running steam this weekend. 

Absolutely ridiculous there has been absolutely no rain for weeks and the ground is completely parched.  I've reported my concerns to the fire service but I'm not expecting a change. 

Sheringham carnival has cancelled the firework display and other events because of unacceptable fire risk but NNR management obviously know better

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I've mentioned previously that Standard 4 76079 is working trains from Grosmont to Whitby.

Speaking of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, 31128 arrived at Grosmont yesterday via the national network. It's now hauling trains from Pickering to Grosmont alongside 47077 and 37264. Again, 76079 is working trains from Grosmont to Whitby and back.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Speaking of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, 31128 arrived at Grosmont yesterday via the national network. It's now hauling trains from Pickering to Grosmont alongside 47077 and 37264. Again, 76079 is working trains from Grosmont to Whitby and back.

Which implies that the Risk Assessment for the Esk Valley section indicates a much lower risk than that for the farmed section just south of Goathland (previous fire history) running over the open moorland and on down Newtondale through the woodland areas. Out of curiosity has 76079 had extra fire prevention meshing or similar added?

4 hours ago, john new said:

Which implies that the Risk Assessment for the Esk Valley section indicates a much lower risk than that for the farmed section just south of Goathland (previous fire history) running over the open moorland and on down Newtondale through the woodland areas. Out of curiosity has 76079 had extra fire prevention meshing or similar added?

There's not much in the way of serious gradients between Grosmont and Whitby, and there's been quite a bit of rainfall this week as well.

Edited by Boris
Filth reduction
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2022 at 18:28, Siberian Snooper said:

If you want virtually guaranteed steam, I would suggest that you only get tickets for travel between November and March.

I think March is somewhere in Cambridgeshire, but where is November? :-)

It hasn't rained much in Essex recently and the Epping Ongar railway have self imposed a ban on Steam at the moment.

• Funny 2

12 hours ago, H2O said:

I think March is somewhere in Cambridgeshire, but where is November? :-)

Sadly, no such place exists but there is May in Oklahoma and June* in New South Wales in Australia.

There's also 6th of October in Egypt (I'm not kidding!)

*It's actually Junee but it's close enough for me. 

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

• RMweb Gold

FWIW Duchess of Sutherland is supposed to be being moved with a support coach and Class 47 diesel from Rugby to Bristol today in preparation for a tour to Cornwall tomorrow. Tour tomorrow is now advertised as "assisted throughout by a diesel".

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U66296/2022-07-30/detailed