RMweb

Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

9 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

I just don't get why they don't select a different running number , not also is 37034 back but 401 (albeit a different livery) and 423 (same livery as previously released)

401 is also only technically suitable for not long over a year (latter half of 88- early 90?).

The numbers moved up to be in white on the cabside, which is visually a nicer version of the mainline livery I think. 

7 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Ironically, I remember that loco a little later when it hung around SE England carrying RF construction. I would be more interested in that.

It raises the question of how far in advance do liveries get planned? The tooling itself takes years to be finalised, but this could have been commissioned well before Accurascale announced their model.

I think the tooling for that version was in the cabinet at DEMU although can’t be 100% sure. 

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, AForce said:

There are some interesting releases.

I notice Bachmann seem to like rerunning the same loco (albeit with newer tooling) - 37034 is back again*. 🤔

*The same thing happened when the new Class 24s were released, namely 24035.

Bachmann also did some reruns of Mk1 coaches with the same numbers as used before. They said at the time it speeds up the release because they can tell the factory to repeat the livery already signed off for the previous release. Perhaps the same applies here.

6 minutes ago, Growling said:

401 is also only technically suitable for not long over a year (latter half of 88- early 90?).

The numbers moved up to be in white on the cabside, which is visually a nicer version of the mainline livery I think. 

It received black headcode panels sometime between 92/93 along with the number change you have mentioned.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A BR blue WR (CF or LA allocated) centre headcode version with valences is what I’m after. But I can wait as there are two available/announced Class 47s I need to save up for first.

Edited by brushman47544

19 minutes ago, Chris56057 said:

It received black headcode panels sometime between 92/93 along with the number change you have mentioned.

Yeah there is a photo at Eastfield dated Jan 1990 with white numbers on Flickr and also this one later in 1990. 

https://flic.kr/p/2jjB6pP

Something doesn't look quite with the livery somehow on the sample. I'll wait and see what AS come up with as it's a really smart Scottish livery that I want.

10 minutes ago, Growling said:

Yeah there is a photo at Eastfield dated Jan 1990 with white numbers on Flickr and also this one later in 1990. 

https://flic.kr/p/2jjB6pP

Something doesn't look quite with the livery somehow on the sample. I'll wait and see what AS come up with as it's a really smart Scottish livery that I want.

The 37419 that Accurascale are doing in the first run isn’t suitable for backdating for a number of reasons, but I’m sure they’ll do one in time. 

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Growling said:

401 was painted in IC for the promo film from the helicopter and was given lower numbers in black as per 87s and 86s at the time. It then had some works attention and went into the correct spec of mainline with white numbers below drivers window. Black boxes would have come later. It then got RfD diamonds in 1993 and Big Ts for Transrail in 1994.

• Informative/Useful 1

52 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Interesting choice of models. 3 out of the 4 always carried ploughs in that guise, but they’re not on the pictures I’ve seen so far. I know they’ll be there with the locos, but strange not to pose them with them on. 

Have a watch of Dave’s review on Dean Park about the new Class 37….

The main criticism of the models is the protruding snowplows…. Perhaps that’s the reason Bachman weren’t really show casing them with the plows fitted….

• Like 1

I don’t get why they have done 043 either? Why go toe to toe with one of your competitors? You’ll then be judged on the build quality, which A/S looks to be pretty darn good and price, which A/S win hands down (currently). I’m no expert but could Bachmann not have done 027 or 081?!? Choice is what we as customers would like, not duplication. Bearing in mind A/S announced their class 37 in November 2019, surely Bachmann could have changed their numbering plans? So we await the A/S announcement in a couple of months and hope for some different liveries.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

Have a watch of Dave’s review on Dean Park about the new Class 37….

The main criticism of the models is the protruding snowplows…. Perhaps that’s the reason Bachman weren’t really show casing them with the plows fitted….

Cheers. I’ve been pointed at this elsewhere so will take a look. There’s always the excellent PH Designs etched ones but I’m not sure we should be having to resort to workarounds at the price these are. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, IRC said:

I don’t get why they have done 043 either? Why go toe to toe with one of your competitors? You’ll then be judged on the build quality, which A/S looks to be pretty darn good and price, which A/S win hands down (currently). I’m no expert but could Bachmann not have done 027 or 081?!? Choice is what we as customers would like, not duplication. Bearing in mind A/S announced their class 37 in November 2019, surely Bachmann could have changed their numbering plans? So we await the A/S announcement in a couple of months and hope for some different liveries.

Might depend on detail differences. 081 had a different roof to 043, not sure about 027. Detail differences would also rule out 111. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Cheers. I’ve been pointed at this elsewhere so will take a look. There’s always the excellent PH Designs etched ones but I’m not sure we should be having to resort to workarounds at the price these are. 

I'll just be modifying some Heljan 47 ploughs with some brass rod for the supports. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Might depend on detail differences. 081 had a different roof to 043, not sure about 027. Detail differences would also rule out 111. 

081 was also an RSH build with the extra cantrail support strips

Strange decision to duplicate L/L 043 ? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, AForce said:

There are some interesting releases.

I notice Bachmann seem to like rerunning the same loco (albeit with newer tooling) - 37034 is back again*. 🤔

*The same thing happened when the new Class 24s were released, namely 24035.

3 hours ago, GordonC said:

I really dont get why they do that, with plenty choice of numbers surely choose one that you can still run alongside any earlier purchases without duplication. Buyers of one would surely be a target market for the later one too.

2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Bachmann also did some reruns of Mk1 coaches with the same numbers as used before. They said at the time it speeds up the release because they can tell the factory to repeat the livery already signed off for the previous release. Perhaps the same applies here.

Except that the new tooling suites mean that newer issues incorporate the correct body and/or underframe variations, so they are not just new runs of older models. I had an original sound fitted 24035, but replaced it with the new versions as it correctly replicated the underbelly tank arrangement that the original tools did not allow for.

In general, I have found it the exception rather than the rule that pre 2010 Bachmann releases correctly represent the version numbered; by contrast in more recent years they are much better at modelling an 'actual' loco (for example, with the green TOPS Class 20/25/47 trio they produced a little while back). Indeed, even though all three have been (or are about to be) superseded with newer tooling those three are very much 'keepers' for me.