Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

Just now, Pmorgancym said:

So what is the breakdown between Bachmann and AS over who can create what subclass?  I'd assumed AS was mostly post 2000 versions.

Not really - half of what has been announced from AS are early 37s - blue/green with skirts ageing from 60s/70s and 37/0s with car headlights from early 80s into 1990s

i would assume both will do most subclasses as looks like each have built in Many options - as pointed out by others there wasn’t obvious Bach 37/6s in the launch so they miss that one given AS have already taken.  The 37/9s   Is perhaps the other niche which might not justify 2 manufacturers having a go for what must be quite limited market for quite substantial tooling differences.

But I would expect all other subclasses and variants to be offered by both given the number of liveries in each subclass and the fact that operated across most parts of country.

Fun times - 6 AS on order already ( I think…) for me to supplement my 37 (at last count…) 37s of Bach and Vi origin. And I don’t doubt I’ll pick up some new Bach too. Even if I say I won’t… it just needs to be in a livery that reached Scotland between 1980 and present day and I’ll yield.  I am

starting to think about offloading some of the Vi ones though particularly once some decent 37/4 in intercity mainline start to appear…

• Like 2

One positive thing here, it'll put a stop to those opportunists buying large numbers of Accurascale models and hawking them on internet auction sites at ridiculously inflated prices, only days after their release. As is happening with the Deltic.

I wouldn't be surprised if orders are cancelled by such individuals, thinking that the loss of deposit is preferable to having a cupboard full of models they can't ship for any more than the RRP.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

Fun times - 6 AS on order already ( I think…) for me to supplement my 37 (at last count…) 37s of Bach and Vi origin. And I don’t doubt I’ll pick up some new Bach too. Even if I say I won’t… it just needs to be in a livery that reached Scotland between 1980 and present day and I’ll yield.  I am

starting to think about offloading some of the Vi ones though particularly once some decent 37/4 in intercity mainline start to appear…

Crikey. I thought I had a class 86 addiction. I have got around half that! 😀

1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

Theyve used zimo and ESU in 00. The 20 and 24 and 121 were all zimo, with the new 47 being esu.

That's the point. 90 started with Zimo and went to ESU. Old 37s were ESU and so are the 66s.

The question was, why do they vary?

I nearly bought one of Bachmann's lovely new 37s at Showcase this weekend but I've decided that I don't like 37s any more.

I think I'm an ex-tractor fan.

(sorry, that's terrible isn't it...)

Guy

P.S. Really looking forward to the announcement of the forthcoming variants/liveries next month.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RBAGE said:

One positive thing here, it'll put a stop to those opportunists buying large numbers of Accurascale models and hawking them on internet auction sites at ridiculously inflated prices, only days after their release. As is happening with the Deltic.

I wouldn't be surprised if orders are cancelled by such individuals, thinking that the loss of deposit is preferable to having a cupboard full of models they can't ship for any more than the RRP.

In a perverse way that might be a bad thing.

there are modellers, there are collectors and there are speculators.

Take away one of those elements might spell heavy discounting if the volumes are too high servicing the others.

I think the 55 is a one time thing, its AS’s first diesel, its not available retail, and its been a long time coming.

Batch 2 could change all of that…Modellers are probably all in already, Collectors may have some interest, and speculators will already have exited, leaving those who missed out, that may not be as big a market.

The 37, Manor, 92 are all available retail, even if the AS website shows sold out. The 92 is no different to the 37 in that regard, but note the ire is directed at the 37… making that statement somewhat hypocritical, as its clear bias to the popular model over the other..

The way to appeal to all, is to make it unique in someway… but thats harder when two decide to do it… compare Hornbys Captain Tom to Bachmanns Captain Tom.

Those who despise speculators are those who missed the boat first time… harsh yes, but sadly true. Dont forget Retailers are also prone to speculating too, they mint on both sides of the coin, which is why things like the 55 unusual in the market, but suspect champagne corks wont be as loud for 92’s as 37’s.. except for the obvious liveries..

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Hi everyone,

37422 from the Collectors club was far too tempting at DEMU showcase so an SFX version was purchased. 

It really is a step up on the previous release, looks the part and has some really nice detailed features. Runs well and sounds good. The lighting functions are the best yet on a RTR model in terms of what you can control via DCC. I’m looking forward to seeing what else is announced having seen the range of tooling on display (see Phil’s post from the photos he took at the show)

From a retailer perspective huge thanks to the team at Bachmann for not only announcing the model at the show but giving us an allocation of stock of the standard release 37430 to sell there and then. It was also nice to talk to the team and hear how much work went into the model. 

Thank you

Mark

2897EAA9-2D0B-4838-9BEC-8104AF8B7BB9.jpeg

• Like 11

Good to see its got a proper 5 pole motor, rather than a modern coreless type that can't be used with analogue feedback control. A few years ago DJ Models were claiming the future would be coreless, and Bachmann were using them in all their new releases. So what has caused the change of policy?

1 hour ago, Broadway Clive said:

Good to see its got a proper 5 pole motor, rather than a modern coreless type that can't be used with analogue feedback control. A few years ago DJ Models were claiming the future would be coreless, and Bachmann were using them in all their new releases. So what has caused the change of policy?

Supply issues??

• Like 1

My local retailer was advised today Bachmann have had these in UK for a couple of months awaiting the big announcement at the weekend and the new models from autumn releases will be ready for immediate shipping. I'm looking forward to seeing what's released and hopefully picking one up soon.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, IRC said:

No 37/5 or 37/7 subclass or have I completely misread that?

From what I remember of the class 37 refurb programme a 37/4 is actually a 37/5 with ETH.  So the new grilles on the nose sides are common to the refurbs, except that some were "four piece" and some were "two piece", but he overall shape layout was the same.  Not sure where the plating over of the bodyside windows started - maybe when they were welding steel inside the bodyside walls to make the heavyweight 37/7s. Maybe a 37/4 bodyshell could produce an 80s or 90s 37/5 ?

I am assuming Bachmann are intending to do the whole suite of 37s eventually, just like A/s.  The Bachmann feature of separate noses  will help them.

Be interesting see whether Bachmann and A/s produce the oddities with the sandite loading port in the bodyside, as well as the odd horn locations, either deltic style in front of the windscreens, or with the off EWS 37/4 with twin horns on top of the nose. 

Edited by Covkid
typo
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Broadway Clive said:

I don’t think there has been a change of policy. Bachmann has continued to use iron-cored motors in the larger models but has moved to coreless in smaller models. I’m not altogether sure why. Coreless motors are supposed to be smaller but I took the top off a couple of models and the coreless motor looked as big as the traditional type; perhaps a little slimmer. Like yourself, I’m much happier with a traditional motor. I have to admit, though, that Bachmann’s Midland 0-4-4Ts work well with a factory fitted sound decoder in them. Then again, the Precedent requires a fair bit of messing about to get it to run properly.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, wairoa said:

Do all Class 37s in the real world use tinted windows or was that just certain engines?  Did any have the tinted windows replaced with non tinted?

The ‘tint’ effect that Bachmann have carried over from the 47s is representative of the coated glass used to demist the screens - I’ve never noticed this on a 37 - I thought they  just had copper strips on the glass? 

jon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 23/07/2022 at 14:43, black and decker boy said:

Any indication of drop in EM / P4 wheelsets to go with these (or indeed the new super-cooper detail 47)???

A/S drop in wheelsets for their Deltic arrived same day as the loco and are a game changer to my modelling world.

I asked Bachmann on Saturday about this at DEMU whilst inspecting 37430 and there are no plans to do EM/P4 wheelsets , there appears to be enough space between the bogie frames to fit EM wheelsets should they become available from Ultrascale or it may be possible to pull the wheels out on the fitted ones , P4 may need some trimming of the inner edge of the bogie frames

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

I asked Bachmann on Saturday about this at DEMU whilst inspecting 37430 and there are no plans to do EM/P4 wheelsets , there appears to be enough space between the bogie frames to fit EM wheelsets should they become available from Ultrascale or it may be possible to pull the wheels out on the fitted ones , P4 may need some trimming of the inner edge of the bogie frames

I asked the Bachmann guys whether they were half or full axles with this in mind and they didn't know. I'd agree there does appear to be just enough space for EM conversion, might need a very slight thinning down on the sideframes.

Douglas

18 hours ago, IRC said:

No 37/5 or 37/7 subclass or have I completely misread that?

From what was said at the show not all samples were there for us to see , there's a full announcement in the next week or so with regards to all the versions due for release

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

Is the roof fan grill sitting rather high on this model? It could be that it is just not properly pushed in to place on this particular model or an optical illusion?

It's a redesign over the old version , the mesh extends further out with the retaining plate on top as per the prototype

My large logo sound fitted one arrived today from kernow.

Its very loud! The 2nd loco in a week to deafen me, the a/s deltic being the first.

I'll probably turn the volume down but the sounds miles better than previous 37s ive had and better in my opinion than the new sound fitted 47.

On another note after running in for a half hour or so the loco roof was very warm to the touch at the no2 end where im asssuming the decoder is. Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

Edited by meatloaf
changed
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, 43179 said:

The ‘tint’ effect that Bachmann have carried over from the 47s is representative of the coated glass used to demist the screens - I’ve never noticed this on a 37 - I thought they  just had copper strips on the glass? 

jon

Thanks so much for the response. I have asked this question on a variety of sites and so far you are the only one who has provided an answer. For months I have been trying to find an answer.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, wairoa said:

Thanks so much for the response. I have asked this question on a variety of sites and so far you are the only one who has provided an answer. For months I have been trying to find an answer.

There was a demister on the driver's windscreen that you can just make out on this image. The dark area that looks like a sun visor is the clear glass over the top.

aj37009.jpg

sb37008.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2