RMweb

Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Rick_Skateboard said:

IMG_8455.jpg.32a63c1c0662813ce6a8f1bf9f146606.jpg

One thing that I think could be improved is the radiator fan grille, I will probably replace it with an Extreme Etchings one, like on my older model.  The rest of the roof detail is very good. 

just for comparison..

37254… 16th August 202023C3A091-1ECF-4CF2-9B54-BB9E0D45380B.jpeg.2ad61c9cde1642166f11a10477890c0c.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Rick_Skateboard said:

The handbrake chain on the new model is a bit chunky for my liking,

One thing I think is interesting (and this applies to Accurascale too I think) is that is it worth having a chain when it is too long to be operational (in theory)? That one on the Bachmann model at least looks too long to stand a chance of working in practice. I do know why they have it this length, just philosophising as to whether it's worth the hassle?

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

A very nice review and excellent efforts on the older one!

I agree... the new one is so much better shape wise than the old one which is really noticeable in your photos! Yeah I think replacing the roof grille and some better glazing is a mod I'll do to mine.

What chain did you use for the brake chains on the older one? Looks good!

I'm impressed you managed to build the PH steps! Personally I don't like them and was rather disheartened with my build of them as they looked totally wrong to me.

Thanks a lot. I can't remember where I got the chain from, it's been in my bits box for years.  This looks about right though https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265155053743?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ig3wJv2PQPm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=m3VR_snLTV2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY 

The PH Designs steps were very fiddly to make, but I think worth it compared to the poor effort supplied on the old model.  It's probably not such a worthwhile change to make any more.

Cheers

Rick

Edited by Rick_Skateboard
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the review Rick, that’s useful.

I think my purchasing plan would be a) if it’s colours I need and accura aren’t making in a reasonable time frame b) it’s gotta get below £200.

It sits a lot better and I think that’s the major improvement. One thing I did notice on your new one - Are the fuel tanks on the lash ? Seem to be angled towards the midpoint ? All my older ones are parallel 

53FFA5E1-C186-4504-BC22-6E7539B76577.png

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, TomScrut said:

One thing I think is interesting (and this applies to Accurascale too I think) is that is it worth having a chain when it is too long to be operational (in theory)? That one on the Bachmann model at least looks too long to stand a chance of working in practice. I do know why they have it this length, just philosophising as to whether it's worth the hassle?

I like it, but maybe its one for the parts bag, or two chains, one accurate length, the other for those who have the bends on their layout…

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, thetrains said:

I can't see Accu's being any better except price.

Personally I think Accurascale's version will be far superior.  The fact that the AS model doesn't come with a "removable nose", which creates such a visible flaw in the Baccy version, puts it way ahead in my opinion.  However, having a choice is great.  I just know where I will be choosing to spend my money 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, thetrains said:

It's the fragility of the Accus Deltic that gets me.

for the sake of clarity, the model itself is anything but fragile (it weighs enough to haul a breeze block) but rather 8 small parts that should have been in the ‘user applied’ baggie. Lesson learned and the 37 is the most robust model yet. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, McC said:

Lesson learned and the ACCU 37 is the most robust model yet. 

and it does't have that conspicuous nose joint line as see in the phots posted above. Whilst the Bachmann 37 looks to be a fine model, those separate noses for me, does it no favours.

I asked above, but no on has come up with an answer yet. Like the previous Bachmann 37, is the latest iteration still to long to accommodate the nose lighting PCB's?

At present I'm still happy with my choice of Bachmann 37 I doubt the removable nose will be a noticeable issue on the plain blue version I have ordered. If Accurascale announce a second run of Deltic's at some point which incorporate some of the lessons learned, then at least some or all of my existing Deltic's will be going on ebay.

4 hours ago, 55020 said:

Personally I think Accurascale's version will be far superior.  The fact that the AS model doesn't come with a "removable nose", which creates such a visible flaw in the Baccy version, puts it way ahead in my opinion.  However, having a choice is great.  I just know where I will be choosing to spend my money 😉

It'll be interesting to compare and I've ordered an accurascale one to do just that before making a decision on which to go for the fleet. As things stands I'm yet to see a production accurascale version so can't come to the same conclusion that it's way ahead or better than the Bachmann one which I rather like. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

and it does't have that conspicuous nose joint line as see in the phots posted above. Whilst the Bachmann 37 looks to be a fine model, those separate noses for me, does it no favours.

I asked above, but no on has come up with an answer yet. Like the previous Bachmann 37, is the latest iteration still to long to accommodate the nose lighting PCB's?

I kinda agree on separate noses although doesn’t look too bad in some photos of 418 above. I think tho that ultimately it will show up more on liveries where the colours don’t naturally meet at that point - eg shows on large logo more than say plain BR blue where blue meets yellow at this point.  A lot of liveries won’t show it as a result (BR blue, RF sector, EWS, etc). It only ever really bothered me on the old model on large logo and RF grey variants.

Its nice to be spoiled with choice - I have quite a few A/S 37s on order but will definitely be ordering some Bachs too as I’ve no doubt they will both look fine next to each other.  

You can never have too many 37s!!

M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dj_crisp said:

As things stands I'm yet to see a production accurascale version so can't come to the same conclusion that it's way ahead or better than the Bachmann one which I rather like. 

Exactly. Until it's here who knows? I expect it will be excellent by the way but that doesn't mean it is guaranteed to be better than what also looks like an excellent model that is already here like some people seem to think.

• Agree 4

11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Thanks for the review Rick, that’s useful.

I think my purchasing plan would be a) if it’s colours I need and accura aren’t making in a reasonable time frame b) it’s gotta get below £200.

It sits a lot better and I think that’s the major improvement. One thing I did notice on your new one - Are the fuel tanks on the lash ? Seem to be angled towards the midpoint ? All my older ones are parallel 

53FFA5E1-C186-4504-BC22-6E7539B76577.png

It does look wonky, I'll have to see if it can be leveled up at all.  I'd be interested to know if anyone else's is like that, or if mine is just one that slipped through quality control.

Cheers

Rick

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Rick_Skateboard said:

It does look wonky, I'll have to see if it can be leveled up at all.  I'd be interested to know if anyone else's is like that, or if mine is just one that slipped through quality control.

Cheers

Rick

Here's a pic of mine.....

20220928_150314.jpg.b088175a36d64a8cc78376d683268d2f.jpg

Not quite as wonky as yours.  ( Can't think of a way of putting it, without it sounding like a game of innuendo bingo !! 🤣 )

For anyone who hasn't seen one up close, the pale bits between the body and the fuel tanks are actually the wall behind the model, the tanks aren't just one big lump hanging from the chassis.

In my opinion, it's a lovely looking model.

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

309?

Nah they had some many variations over their lives, liveries etc. Arguably not more than 309 on layout at a time but as the year modelled moves the changes can happen…

For avoidance of doubt I am nowhere near having 309 yet… nor can my layout accommodate 309 locos

And there are places where you can get one under £200 now too. It seems those with the cash buy the super all singing dancing one, those who are a bit marginal on affordability won’t pay over £200, or that’s my perception of it 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Matt said:

I kinda agree on separate noses although doesn’t look too bad in some photos of 418 above.

I've managed to reduce the visibility of the join with some thinned acrylic yellow, but there is a minute step between the nose and the main body moulding that would need filling and a partial respray. I can live with it and the model is an excellent one, capturing the correct 'stance' of the real thing, but the price is the deterrent to buying a lot of them at the end of the day.

DSCF0561.JPG.bc9fc7a24b43a63ef4f88c24ac6556e9.JPG.

• Like 3