RevolutioN Trains Announce Alcan PCA Alumina Tanks in OO Gauge

sc2016

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Matt said:

Oh dear I’m gonna need a few of these… great announcement guys!

I also 'need' a good few of these .... but, alas, in a different scale, however I shall be following the development progress with interest and wish this venture all the success this company deserves, hopefully it may encourage a few more models of the West Highland Line.

Best wishes,

Ian.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, 

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but I wonder if anyone can help me please? 

I have read the product description and looked at the map above and I don’t think the wagons that I am thinking of are the same as these ones that Revolution are offering but are these the wagons that work out of Earles Sidings and are hauled by Freightliner Class 66s and 70s? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

10 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I have read the product description and looked at the map above and I don’t think the wagons that I am thinking of are the same as these ones that Revolution are offering but are these the wagons that work out of Earles Sidings and are hauled by Freightliner Class 66s and 70s?

Hi Danny

I think you might be referring to the Bachmann Metalair PCA?

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, YesTor said:

Hi Danny

I think you might be referring to the Bachmann Metalair PCA?

Best

Al

Hi Al, 

Thank you for the reply and information, it’s greatly appreciated. 

I thought this was different to the Revolution wagon. Had this being the Revolution wagon I would have bought a few but I don’t particularly model the North East or Scotland. 

Thanks again. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi all, 

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but I wonder if anyone can help me please? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

As mentioned they are the Cement PCAs. Certainly some similarities, but very different on top. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bccmetalair

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

As mentioned they are the Cement PCAs. Certainly some similarities, but very different on top. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bccmetalair

Paul

Hi Paul, 

Thank you very much for the photos and information, it’s greatly appreciated. 

It’s a shame because I would really like a rake of Cement PCAs. 

Thanks again. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Have you considered Accurascale's recently re-released Castle Cement PCAs? These never worked off Earles Sidings however. Personally I'd love an up to date model of the Vee Cement PCAs but that's not for this thread.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, WILLIAM said:

Have you considered Accurascale's recently re-released Castle Cement PCAs? These never worked off Earles Sidings however. Personally I'd love an up to date model of the Vee Cement PCAs but that's not for this thread.

Hi, 

Thank you for the reply and the information, it’s greatly appreciated. 

I have thought about these wagons but as you say the only trouble is that they aren’t prototypical to work off of Earles. As far as I’m aware they aren’t prototypical to work with Freightliner 66s or 70s either. 

Good luck to Revolution though with this wagon because I’m sure with the variety of traction available to haul them they will be popular. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

13 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

This will be expensive. How many in a typical Blyth to Ft Bill rake?

I was looking at photos earlier for exactly this reason… looked like around 13 wagons was norm in BR era but the length was over 20 in the GBRF 66 photos I looked at. In the end I ordered 4x4 pack as a compromise:-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

We’ll be doing a sample consist diagram in due course but rake length depends entirely on period. From new until GBRf took over the rake was typically 12-13 with 12 being very common as explained in the video. GBRf started off with 12 but now typically run 18-24. 

Cheers Mike

• Thanks 4

Hi Ben & Mike

This is fantastic news!  I know I've been badgering Mike for a few years to look at these so really happy they're being done.  These wagons and a particular loco are all that I'm missing to complete my WHL fleet which will be utilised on the next few layouts.  I shall be ordering all 4 packs of the Alcan livery and all 3 packs of the RioTinto livery to fit my time periods.

DSC_0061.JPG.876b68b28e93917a4f8622ab6c441757.JPG

This is a photo I took at Rannoch back in 2012 which I would like to recreate on my next layout (minus the graffiti on the front of 66735!).

Cheers

Martin

• Like 5

Here is a rake of 16 heading up to Corrour behind 66738. 01-04-2019.

You heard it for a good 3 minutes before you saw it coming as it had a standing start at Tulloch due to the Caledonian sleeper had passed to Fort William behind a single 73. 

Mathew

66738 CORROUR.jpg

Edited by ews60002
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2022 at 18:03, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi Paul, 

Thank you very much for the photos and information, it’s greatly appreciated. 

Thanks again. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

You can always buy the Bachmann PCAs....

On 24/07/2022 at 00:44, Revolution Mike said:

We’ll be doing a sample consist diagram in due course but rake length depends entirely on period. From new until GBRf took over the rake was typically 12-13 with 12 being very common as explained in the video. GBRf started off with 12 but now typically run 18-24. 

Cheers Mike

12 in this photo at North Blyth in 1999

56072 at North Blyth Alcan 1999.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, R. Knowles said:

Why not buy both?🤷‍♀️

You could also make up a larger rake between the two!

The Bachmann is the 51 tonne built for cement with pedestal suspension. The Alcan is in effect a stretched version with a 46 gross weight giving greater cubic capacity and bruninghaus suspension and the closest they got to working together was the last of the Blue Circle ones came to Cambois as a demonstrator.

• Like 1