Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Oh you shouldn’t have . .

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

. . mucked around with things!

D82E94D1-70F4-41D6-97EC-EEE55787AA67.jpeg.3b977cbb08348c45924938e9849984e7.jpeg

I made a mistake, 😲 these were mixed in with proper Mr Kiplings,

When I got home the doubt started, Mr Kiplings with the tops askew?!?

Then the horror 30% less sugar, and taste it turned out!

I’ve never held with chaining oneself to railings to protest but I feel like chaining whoever thought this was a good idea to some!

They don’t taste the same, in fact they barely taste of anything, mild baby food purée, stop mucking about with cakes and fruit pies.

It’s not big and it’s not clever. 

Some things are meant to be good for the soul rather than the body. Cakes and pies. 

Premier Foods? I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.

(no it’s not a Yamamoto quote, it’s probable paraphrasing Napoleon)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

I don't Kipple, so I should be safe. However if Kipling are into the sugar-reducing, dried out sad objects you bought, then others will follow suit soon enough.  I bet they'll be reducing the cooking fats too. 

At least they've not gone universal on the Gluten Free route.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

There is nothing that alarms me more than seeing the words New or Improved recipe on a box!

Well, they refuse to use the term 'We have reduced the cost of making the product'!

Edit to add, but the price is the same! Or less in a packet, or weighs slightly less!

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Agree 4

I recall in the early 1980s, just after I got married, a breakfast cereal called 'Harvest Crunch' - it was lovely!! Then after what seemed like a short time I picked up a box with the now-dreaded "Improved Recipe" message on the front - back then I genuinely expected the product to be even lovelier.......but quickly discovered that "Harvest" had lost its "Crunch", and I stopped buying it. In my experience things went downhill from there and I too always expect the worst whenever I see those two words.....!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, 33C said:

A "Fray Bentos" pie would be even nicer with some meat in it......

I once bought a twin pack of large Safeway savers apple pies, one was accidentally cremated and the other was three pieces of apple surrounded by flavoured wall paper paste with colour  and sugar added.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

I once bought a twin pack of large Safeway savers apple pies, one was accidentally cremated and the other was three pieces of apple surrounded by flavoured wall paper paste with colour  and sugar added.

Our Safeway metamorphosed into a Morrisons and didn't improve...

Have you ever sampled Aldi individual Bramley Apple pies? They sound (and taste) just like your Safeway Savers!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I bought some pork pies quite a few years ago now, knowing my Australian wife had never had one. I put them in the fridge.

The next day, she got up to make lunch and I hadn't thought about these pies.

She brings out lunch - after she'd heated them in the oven. Totally ruined as gone all soggy and oil like. What a waste.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

In a similar vein, a large local supermarket rejigged their store to put sweets and other "bad stuff" in the far corner of the store.  On inquiring why, the staff told me it was something about a government initiative to put the high sugar goods as far away from the entrance/tills as possible.  Is the theory to get the sugarholics to get burn more calories to find their poison?

But another large supermarket chain nearby haven't done the same?

Ironically, the store restack has displaced the alcohol section, which has been relocated right next to the tills!

🤔

Edited by sjp23480
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

In a similar vein, a large local supermarket rejigged their store to put sweets and other "bad stuff" in the far corner of the store.  On inquiring why, the staff told me it was something about a government initiative to put the high sugar goods as far away from the entrance/tills as possible.  Is the theory to get the sugarholics to get burn more calories to find their poison?

But another large supermarket chain nearby haven't done the same?

Ironically, the store restack has displaced the alcohol section, which has been relocated right next to the tills!

🤔

I hate it when supermarkets move their shelves around. You get used to where things are in a particular branch, then you have to hunt high and low. Often it takes weeks when they do a major change, such as when a store gets expanded.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Mars Bars

The original size slowly shrinks by 30% without a reduction in price.

Then you get "New Bigger Bar" that is 30% bigger but 50% more expensive, the original (now smaller bar) is withdrawdfern.

Later the appended description goes, it starts shrinking and then Hey Presto! Another "New Bigger Bar"! Ad infinitum

"New recipe" on ready meals seems to mean the potato has been replaced by totally tasteless butternut squash.

It's not just the UK though.

The Danish company Anton Berg sold marzipan fruit/liqueur chocolates. 30g each ten in a pack, now they are 27.5g each and eight in a pack and cost at least twice as much as ten years ago!

Also Champagne is now sparkling wine, Cognac is brandy etc.

29 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

The phrase 'Fun Size' on chocolate bars causes me angst. There's nothing fun about a chocolate bar you used to struggle to get through now comfortably fitting In your mouth in one go !

Fun size is meant to be just that, that's why they are usually in bags, rather than seperate bars.

When we had the Guest House we used to get some various bags of fun size for the Trick & Treaters, mix them all up a let them take pot luck from a bag.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

I hate it when supermarkets move their shelves around. You get used to where things are in a particular branch, then you have to hunt high and low. Often it takes weeks when they do a major change, such as when a store gets expanded.

Absolutely - throws my carefully crafted shopping list completely out of kilter!

It doesn't help either when a manufacturer comes up with a "New Look!" for their product (in other words they've redesigned the packaging.......for some reason) cos then your eyes are seeking something on the shelf which doesn't look like that anymore! 🤬

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I bought some pork pies quite a few years ago now, knowing my Australian wife had never had one. I put them in the fridge.

The next day, she got up to make lunch and I hadn't thought about these pies.

She brings out lunch - after she'd heated them in the oven. Totally ruined as gone all soggy and oil like. What a waste.

She isn't a maritime lady is she? Warm pork pies are a bit of an RN tradition and in quite a few organizations in the maritime space. When I worked for Lloyd's Register they regularly served warm pork pies. I agree though, I much prefer them cold.

Regarding warm pies.......in the late 1970s I spent a couple of years at, shall we just say a military establishment, where a local ran a cafe which heated meat pies by dunking them in a deep fat frier 😬. I never tried one as (a) I saw the soggy result somebody braver than me was about to consume, and (b) I put considerable value on the operating condition of my internal pump (if you know what I mean). Said individual also functioned as the camp barber, so he was obviously multi-talented (🤨), and his was the last barber's chair I was ever to sit in as around that time I had the good sense to marry a hairdresser (we met on her 20th birthday, and then discovered we had the same surname! Couldn't let her go after that 😍 )