RMweb

LNER Coronation Stock

Bishdurham

Whilst looking at the coaches on the Hornby website (which are now all sold out), it says the twin sets will be as 1 judging by the length in the dimensions. It shows them with the fairings in between the twins, but not on the outer end of each twin. Will there be fairings fitted to the outer ends of the inner 2 twin sets? And also the inner end of the obs car? If not they’re gonna look odd.  Just something to muse over specially given that these are gonna be premium models.  

• Like 1

If they are being made as they were shown in the recent Hornby TV series then I doubt it as the shared bogies use a similar setup to the eurostar (from memory) where the centre infil is actually curved plastic. 

I had been wondering if it would be possible to use some kind of stretchy fabric to achieve the desired effect (possibly something similar to ladies tights or equivalent?) 

• Like 1

The fairings were only between the pairs of coach sets (Twin Sets), not on the outer edges including the Observation coach.

The Silver Jubilee was the same, but had two sets of three articulated coaches.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Markeg said:

The fairings were only between the pairs of coach sets (Twin Sets), not on the outer edges including the Observation coach.

The Silver Jubilee was the same, but had two sets of three articulated coaches.

Mark

Not according to the picture half way down this webpage. Very much a sheeting between the rear twin snd the observation car:

https://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/418-the-coronation#close

• Like 1

You misunderstand .. maybe i didn't explain properly. They’re gonna be modelled with the fairings in between the twins. Circled in red. What i mean is will the outer ends of 2 pairs in the middle of the train.. (in this case the twin 1st open as shown)  have any fairings on them? Circled in green.  And the inner end of the 3rd/kitchen 3rd’s?  An as G-BOAF says the inner end f the obs car too.  From what i can fathom, Hornby will be modelling it to be  in the southbound direction A-H (looking at the photos the inner couplings will be magnetic 1’s) 

8123D41E-99B4-47EB-AB68-29893DC165A1.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 28/03/2023 at 12:51, Tiddles47 said:

From what i can fathom, Hornby will be modelling it to be  in the southbound direction A-H (looking at the photos the inner couplings will be magnetic 1’s) 

Not sure what you are inferring - the sets were orientated in the same direction and in the same order, the only difference being on the Down workings the locomotive was at the Country end and Observation Car at the rear (London End), with just those two being reversed on the Up working. Or am I missing something...?

Coronation 1937 Brochure 005 - small.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Not sure what you are inferring - the sets were orientated in the same direction and in the same order, the only difference being on the Down workings the locomotive was at the Country end and Observation Car at the rear (London End), with just those two being reversed on the Up working. Or am I missing something...?

Coronation 1937 Brochure 005 - small.jpg

What i meant was , judging by the pic i saw on the website, the magnetic couplings are attached  the south end only.(coach A)  However i’m guessing they will be detachable/attachable as per the normal way , in and out the NEM pocket. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

There’s a brief mention of the Coronation stock in Hornby’s latest livestream.

Currently at the factory feedback stage. Next will be ‘running’ samples, then decorated samples. 

Interesting to hear about the chrome effect they’re going for and how much work has been going into the articulation mechanisms, inter-carriage screening and running characteristics. Sounded like it’s been trickier than was portrayed in the ‘Model World’ TV show. 

In shops by summer seems optimistic given no proper samples yet. Either way, if Hornby is taking its time to make sure these are done ‘right’ (correct pre-war doors, no visible capacitors, innovative couplings) it’s a positive. 

Wonder if the decorates samples will show printed or raised lettering? My money’s on the former, but we live in hope…

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 02/11/2023 at 20:17, OliverBytham said:

There’s a brief mention of the Coronation stock in Hornby’s latest livestream.

Currently at the factory feedback stage. Next will be ‘running’ samples, then decorated samples. 

Interesting to hear about the chrome effect they’re going for and how much work has been going into the articulation mechanisms, inter-carriage screening and running characteristics. Sounded like it’s been trickier than was portrayed in the ‘Model World’ TV show. 

In shops by summer seems optimistic given no proper samples yet. Either way, if Hornby is taking its time to make sure these are done ‘right’ (correct pre-war doors, no visible capacitors, innovative couplings) it’s a positive. 

Wonder if the decorates samples will show printed or raised lettering? My money’s on the former, but we live in hope…

Why does my hear sink at the mention of "innovative couplings"?

Glad to hear these coaches aren't imminent - more time to save up for them. It's been an expensive month.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ooh, what’s that I spy on Hornby’s Warley stand? First time we’ve seen a full Coronation set formed up?

IMG_4332.png.7dda3b7af70bfbadbdb299e0c6c32220.png

As seen in Hornby’s latest Instagram story. Can’t get to Warley this weekend so if anyone can get some better pictures and details on the couplings, ping them on here! Looks like there’s an ideal 2nd radius test track local 😂

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

End looks like it's a separate moulding possibly unpainted or a different plastic to the main body.

That is my impression- worryingly reminiscent of the ancient, original Gresley coaches.

CJI.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...