LNER Coronation Stock

Bishdurham

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tiddles47 said:

I’m still puzzled as to how they’re gonna recreate the fairings between each pair. Theres no mention of it. 

I strongly suspect that the fairings will be mounted on the shared bogie - wasn't that how they did the APT?

CJI.

Hopefully the brake / kitchen third pair with destination board mounts moulded into the roof is a symptom of LNER and BR period model bits being mixed up for the undecorated prototype. As far as I can tell there were no roof board mounts during LNER days. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I strongly suspect that the fairings will be mounted on the shared bogie - wasn't that how they did the APT?

CJI.

No, i mean at the end of each pair. The gangways are mounted my magnets apparently and will be the colours of the coaches and they’re moulded with the ends of the coaches but there’s no actual way of covering them. Unlike the fairings in the middle of each twin. 

IMG_0199.jpeg

Edited by Tiddles47
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

They do look good so far, I'm presuming the 'fairing' on the brake ends are swappable from one end to the other (see screenshots below). 

Screenshot_20240406_074423.jpg.e63d9a7cd29c878c6527447d204ec7b2.jpg

Screenshot_20240406_074535.jpg.41942450782012f06a6654784e95eb1c.jpg

Also I know these are only running samples but did anyone else notice the coaches jump as they went over the points at 13:00 - 13:05? Hopefully that gets sorted before general release 🤞🏻

Edited by K Hatton
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

I'm hoping Hornby will do this stock in maroon with the extra doors, like this:

53635228269_c4ccd2e753_c.jpgE1733-4E_YorkCW_28-9-63 by Robert Carroll, on Flick

The designer of these (forgot his name) said that he had to design 32 coaches to have all 4 versions, apart from the observation Cars. To my shame, I don't know what those four versions are. Is the one above one of those?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Johan DC said:

The designer of these (forgot his name) said that he had to design 32 coaches to have all 4 versions, apart from the observation Cars. To my shame, I don't know what those four versions are. Is the one above one of those?

Sam is the designer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Johan DC said:

I am aware that they have built the doors into the design. One of the 3D printed mock-ups they had on show included the door on one side of the twin first.

The question for me is when, if ever, Hornby will get round to actually doing the stock in maroon.

I hope they get the doors right. They were on both sides of the twin first, one on each half, and on one side of the other three twins. The Silver Jubilee set, which Hornby is not doing (yet) did not gain additional doors.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/03/2024 at 16:14, Ollie K said:

Hopefully the brake / kitchen third pair with destination board mounts moulded into the roof is a symptom of LNER and BR period model bits being mixed up for the undecorated prototype. As far as I can tell there were no roof board mounts during LNER days. 

Only on the spare set I think.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here’s the full film previewing the Coronation stock. I think it’s commendable of Hornby to produce something like this for a long-awaited product. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/04/2024 at 10:17, Ollie K said:

I thought it was interesting how they talked about the rebuilt observation coach and shows images of it. I've said I'd love that at every show I've seen Hornby at since they announced these.

Nice to see they are giving the interiors more than just a basic lick of paint.

Now pre-ordered a full rake with Rails.

• Like 4

When Sam is talking about the interiors, he even mentioned that the division walls will be decorated in art deco style.

So these are gone be supercoaches in every expect 

Ihave a full rake on order, and hoping there will a West riding limited too in future

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Interesting.  Good to see hidden capacitors, not to mention the alternative coupling arrangements.

image.png.8bd00d270fecdf355c21c34ab3ede6b8.png

I wonder if they looked at the ancient Roco TEE that had similar working "rubber" connections?

Edited by franciswilliamwebb
Gibberish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

This would make a great flagship product in TT120...

I wonder how it might translate down a scale though with regards the coupling mechanisms and the rubber side skirts for the coach ends.

This train whilst fit for 2nd radius clearly will look best on large sweeping curves than trainset ones, if they see TT120 as mainly a trainset curve railway then the experience of the finished product in TT120 may disappoint, but be no worse than the OO version on 2nd radius and trainset points.

But with the effort expended to make this set in OO and with suitable A4s available it should be a no brainer to produce a TT120 version.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rorz101uk said:

Is the ever a time when all of the coaches when painted in maroon were running together? 

I believe the whole set was broken up in 1939 for the war and they never ran again together with the Observation car.

12 minutes ago, Bishdurham said:

I believe the whole set was broken up in 1939 for the war and they never ran again together with the Observation car.

There were four sets, not just one (set 101 was the Silver Jubilee), sets 102 and 103 were the two Coronation sets, 104 the West Riding set, and 105 the spare, which did not have any name on the lower body sides. I'm not sure where Sam's four iterations of each came from but could be: as built; crimson and cream with fairings and the stainless steel lettering removed; maroon; and maroon with additional inner doors for those twins that did receive them (it's not confirmed that they all did).

So far Hornby has only used renders of the Observation Car numbered 1729, which is the second one. No information has been released yet as to the numbering of the first production, but the numbers need to be consistent within the sets, such that set 102 would be 1711-9, set 103 1721-9, both including the Observation cars, set 105 (spare) 1731-8, whilst the West Riding set 104 was numbered in the GN series rather than as East Coast stock, so 45801/2, 45811/2, 45821/2, 45831/2. Post-war, the West Riding used six of the eight carriages and that was probably the longest formation.

Spare set BTO/TO Twin 1737/8 was involved in a fire (stray coal thrown up and trapped underneath) at Huntingdon on 14 July 1951. Difficulty in escaping led to the requirement to insert the additional inner doors.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

My goal is to pair a set of these with the Rapido Dynamometer car and my Hornby Mallard. Does anyone know which set was used for the record train? My brief foray on google shows no stock information. I know she ran with a set of 6 (3x2 pairs), but in terms of carriage numbers or at least details on how the set was composed would be useful please?

16 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

My goal is to pair a set of these with the Rapido Dynamometer car and my Hornby Mallard. Does anyone know which set was used for the record train? My brief foray on google shows no stock information. I know she ran with a set of 6 (3x2 pairs), but in terms of carriage numbers or at least details on how the set was composed would be useful please?

6 coaches out the spare set. 

This may help: https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12747

Edited by Tiddles47
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

never really paid much attention to these, out of location although in my steam era. They are stonking coaches and the detail does look to be there,  its all going to be in the livery application.

Its really good to hear the designer talk about them, sounds like he knows what he is talking about and almost given free rein to make them the best possible coaches which is refreshing from Hornby. 

i might come to eat my words on this but who says Hornby can't produce things to the quality of say AS.

its an expensive train though, deep pockets required.