Graham Farish Class 90

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

What was the reason the insulators aren't painted?

They are moulded in a stronger plastic for robustness, probably POM, but the down side of that is that it apparently doesn’t take factory applied paint particularly well. The Class 319 is the same. 

Tom.

14 hours ago, TomE said:

They are moulded in a stronger plastic for robustness, probably POM, but the down side of that is that it apparently doesn’t take factory applied paint particularly well. The Class 319 is the same. 

Tom.

Ah ok interesting, hopefully you can have a giggle at the irony of me (repairably) damaging the pantograph on my 319 when trying to detail the insulators. 

Thanks for all your posts (both here and on your website), you do a great job of keeping us all informed about the latest news. 

All the best,

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/11/2022 at 14:05, TomE said:

The good news from Warley is the 90s will be here before Christmas (well, good news except to the wallet!) 

So 14 days left and counting.

The bad news is that as I live in the US< my family have already had to buy my railway related presents. Otherwise they wouldn't get here in time.

Regards,

John P

I did wonder if Bachmann had air freighted some of their new releases in for Christmas - both the 90s in N and the new 009 locos seem to be in very limited supply. Perhaps a bigger boat load is to follow in January.

I am still waiting for the Feb quarterly announcement in the expectation that EWS/DB and FL green 90s will be released. I’ll have several of those!

David 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Seem to be either selling well or supply is limited (or maybe both). After saving my pennies I wanted to add two to my pre order and a lots of online shops have either sold out already or have very limited stock. 

I called Rails of Sheffield today about that, they get marked out of stock until they have fulfilled all their pre-orders. I would check again tomorrow, as they said that the stock levels then would reflect the true numbers.

Regards,

John P

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

That’s good to know. I was going to buy an orange one, but I’d far sooner have DB red, like David I’m crossing my fingers that’s in the next raft of announcements and they sweat the tooling like they did with the 08 and release 837 variants in a month!

Edited by njee20

9 minutes ago, njee20 said:

That’s good to know. I was going to buy an orange one, but I’d far sooner have DB red, like David I’m crossing my fingers that’s in the next raft of announcements and they sweat the tooling like they did with the 08 and release 837 variants in a month!

Please don't buy an Orange one, I want need two of them 😀

I also want to buy from Rails as I can then include some JJA's as well.

Regards,

John P

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, jpendle said:

Please don't buy an Orange one, I want need two of them

Sorry......

658967532_farish90b.jpg.3876ae39ba5938c0b24169a8558553a9.jpg

In the process of having a proper look over mine for a review, but have to say first impression is these are bloody lovely. 

Tom. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

90019 Penny Black on hire to Virgin trains. Mine has just arrived and it is a stunning model (dare I say model of the year??), done several laps of the layout in push mode with a rake of 8 Dapol mk3s and a DVT and through a few different crossovers in the fiddleyard again in push mode with no derailments etc.

IMG_20221221_125205052.jpg

IMG_20221221_125355111.jpg

IMG_20221221_125259418.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Is the buffing plate inline with the buffers? It looks to be from photos - I'd not noticed it before.

The buffing plate should be behind the buffers when they're extended (flat sides horizontal). With the buffers retracted (flat sides vertical) it should sit forward of the buffers to mate with the buffing plate on coaching stock.

Steven B.

Well I've just ordered two Sound fitted Orange ones from Rails, plus some Autoballasters to make up a complete rake.

What with the likely price of the next run of Zimo decoders, the wait for these to arrive, and the VAT deduction that I get living in the US, I reckon an incremental price of about 40 quid is well worth it.

Here's the sums

250 - 165 = 85

85 * 0.8333 = 70.8 (VAT added at 20% so you subtract 16.66% from the price with VAT, before anyone starts 😀 )

70.8 - 30 = 40  (I'm guessing new Zimo's will be about 30 quid, who knows?)

The only question now is, will they arrive for my birthday at the end of the month?

Regards,

John P

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Is the buffing plate inline with the buffers? It looks to be from photos - I'd not noticed it before.

The buffing plate should be behind the buffers when they're extended (flat sides horizontal). With the buffers retracted (flat sides vertical) it should sit forward of the buffers to mate with the buffing plate on coaching stock.

Steven B.

They’re inline. Presumably a compromise decision? 

C01BAE34-FBBF-490D-9512-97191CE38531.jpeg.9e31d0db07bd0febefc593cfea9ddf3f.jpeg

Tom. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, TomE said:

They’re inline. Presumably a compromise decision? 

So wrong for both modes! Not the compromise I'd have taken... Ho hum. At least they've removed the buffing plate on the later orange Freightliner version.

The OO Gauge model appears to share the same problem.

Steven B.

52 minutes ago, Steven B said:

So wrong for both modes! Not the compromise I'd have taken... Ho hum. At least they've removed the buffing plate on the later orange Freightliner version.

The OO Gauge model appears to share the same problem.

Steven B.

Hi Stephen,

The Dapol Mk3s are done the same (not checked my Farish MK1/2s), sort of half way, they are in line with the gangway when for coupled, the buffers should have the saddles removed and pushed back, coupled to a loco (not using buckeye) the buffers should extend past the gangway. I think all model locos 33/1, 73/coaches which feature this coupling arrangement (even in 4mm) have had a compromise in this area. 

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

90019 Penny Black on hire to Virgin trains. Mine has just arrived and it is a stunning model (dare I say model of the year??), done several laps of the layout in push mode with a rake of 8 Dapol mk3s and a DVT and through a few different crossovers in the fiddleyard again in push mode with no derailments etc.

IMG_20221221_125205052.jpg

IMG_20221221_125355111.jpg

IMG_20221221_125259418.jpg

Looking very much at home on Dallam, the layout is the perfect backdrop to show off such a nice model 👍. Can't wait to see one for real once they work they way through the post system. 

All the best,

Dave 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My x2 G&Y arrived at lunchtime today (despite the caveats that it might not arrive until after Christmas!)…. very pleased they did though!

This is such an improvement over the first generation cl90. For a start, they are so much quieter, although I note somewhat slower too…. although this has been a feature of all the latest batch of Farish stuff; I’m thinking of cl319 and cl60 - the latter is much slower than previous batches.… anyway, I digress….

I really like how they have captured the headlights ‘behind glass’ and the underframe equipment is so much better portrayed than the previous generation.

As for the availability/scarcity mentioned by others - I got mine from KMRC - they had 3 in stock at the warehouse (ie. web stock) first thing yesterday morning. I bought 2 of them at 10am - I see they have none now…. I suspect that the scarcity is two-fold; 1) I would not be surprised if they did airfreight an initial allocation, 2) I suspect that there were substantial pre-orders, given how much this model to modern standards was wanted.

Hard to be certain if there will be more stock to come in these current liveries, but I do hope they will ‘surprise’ us at the next quarterly announcement with EWS/DB and Freightliner [green]…. a First Scotrail Caledonian Sleeper cl90 would be nice too, but I’d be surprised (although given some of the unusual/obscure liveries that have adorned the most recent cl08 batch, who knows?!)…. 

Both mine are run-in now, so tomorrow evening I can have a proper play with them 🙃 !

• Like 3