Graham Farish Class 90

AY Mod

• Moderators

In N scale the launch of a brand-new Class 90 Electric Locomotive marks a major milestone for Graham Farish – this being the first all-new tooling project announced by Graham Farish via Bachmann’s quarterly British Railway Announcements. Much-requested by consumers following the release of the highly acclaimed Bachmann Branchline OO scale model, the new N scale models will debut at The International N Gauge Show in September, with delivery due by the end of 2022. Five models will be available initially, each with the option of SOUND FITTED, and every Graham Farish Class 90 will feature a coreless motor, all-wheel pick up and all-wheel drive, a Next18 DCC decoder socket, a pre-fitted speaker, directional lights, cab lights when used on DCC, and a poseable pantograph.

image.png

371-780SF-4.jpg371-780.jpg

image.png

371-781SF.jpg371-781.jpg

image.png

371-782.jpg371-782SF.jpg

image.png

371-783SF.jpg

image.png

371-785SF.jpg371-785-1.jpg

GRAHAM FARISH N SCALE CLASS 90 SPECIFICATION

The all-new Class 90 is a revelation for the Graham Farish range, marking the dawn of a new era for N scale Electric Locomotives. Combining a highly accurate and detailed body shell with an authentic chassis and bogies, plus a fine reproduction of the Brecknell Willis high-speed Pantograph – the Graham Farish Class 90 captures the distinctive shape and character of the real locomotives to a tee. Those good looks are complemented by an impressive technical specification which includes a coreless motor with twin flywheels, all wheel drive and all wheel pickup, directional lights and cab lights, a pre-fitted speaker and Next18 DCC interface. Each model is also available with SOUND FITTED for operation on both Analogue and DCC with authentic sound effects straight out of the box.

MECHANISM:
 Coreless, twin shaft motor with two flywheels providing drive to both bogies
 All axle drive
 Electrical pickup from all wheels
 Separate metal bearings fitted to each axle
 Diecast metal chassis block
 Gearing arranged for prototypical running speeds and haulage capabilities
 9mm (N gauge) wheels to NEM310 standards with authentic profile and detailing
 Close coupling mechanism fitted at each end, each of which is fitted with coupling pockets to NEM355 standards
 Designed to operate on curves of second radius (263.5mm) or greater

DETAILING:
 Finely detailed Pantograph which is poseable
 Bogies constructed from multiple components featuring full relief detail
 Separately applied underframe and roof detail components
 Detailed Cab Interior
 Each model supplied with a full set of model-specific bufferbeam pipework and accessory parts

LIGHTING:
 Directional lighting, switchable on/off at either end on DCC or Analogue control
 Cab lighting, switchable on/off (when used on DCC only)
 Authentic light colours and temperatures selected for each model based on era and application

DCC:
 Next18 DCC decoder interface

SOUND:
Speaker installed in all models for optimum sound reproduction  ESU Loksound V5DCC Sound Decoder fitted to SOUND FITTED versions
Sound files produced specifically for the Graham Farish Class 90 using recordings from real locomotives 

SOUND FITTED models operate on DCC and Analogue control as supplied

LIVERY APPLICATION:
 Authentic liveries applied to all models
 Multiple paint applications employed on each model using BR/TOC specification colours
 Logos, numerals and text added as appropriate using multi-stage tampo printing using authentic typefaces, logos and colours

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Awesome! Worst kept secret that this was coming eventually, but really pleased. 

Shame they’ve missed a 20 year chunk of history with no FL grey, green, DB red or EWS, but it’s a start…!

• Like 1

Extremely happy with this announcement - I’ve been after a new 90 for years now. I may wait for later batches as ideally I’d like one in Freightliner green and one in either EWS or DB red, but the Virgin 90 could be tempting, but given the price I may hold off for ones I really need.

Well done Bachmann for this!

David 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, njee20 said:

Shame they’ve missed a 20 year chunk of history with no FL grey, green, DB red or EWS, but it’s a start…!

1 minute ago, Stuart A said:

And remember kids - they'll release other livereries at a later date, so no "wharabout this livery" comments.  Just be happy.

🙂

The OO model is excellent & this one looks great too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh I am going to be a very poor man. 

Fantastic news, excellent to see new tooling for the Farish range, and a superb looking model! 

Tom.  

• RMweb Premium

Yay!

Fingers crossed the rerun with additional liveries comes quicker than it has in OO gauge. I'd like one in Intercity Mainline...

I'd have dropped Rfd or Res in preference for a EWS or Scotrail version given the Dapol Scotrail Mk3 sleepers are still easy to find.

I wonder if next year's releases will include a new run of Mk2F including Virgin and I/C Swallow liveried ones - perfect behind the Virgin 90.

Steven B.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic news 😃 !!!

Only the G&Y for me with this batch, but I suppose I’ll probably get two, but that is still a pounding on the wallet…. 😬 

So many liveries to choose from; as others say, I might’ve been inclined to omit RES in favour of (eg.) EWS, DB or Freightliner instead…. no matter, a very welcome announcement and really closes a big gap for [modern standards] N gauge!

2 hours ago, Steven B said:

I'd have dropped Rfd or Res in preference for a EWS or Scotrail version given the Dapol Scotrail Mk3 sleepers are still easy to find.

I wonder if next year's releases will include a new run of Mk2F including Virgin and I/C Swallow liveried ones - perfect behind the Virgin 90.

Surely the fact that the Scotrail coaches are easy to find suggests these are not as popular as the 1990's era models so Farish are tapping into this market more.

I do agree with the 2nd part, they have done both in OO so natural they will want to complete the set, they did say thats what they want given the reassons behind OO brake van.

But overall great news for me, I will be getting my hands on a few of these

I would not be at all surprised to find some of the obvious missing liveries in the Winter 2022 announcement. Following the formula with the Class 08s, announce a batch and get people pre-ordering because they have to have one, then sweep in with some more liveries for a second wave of sales coming up to Christmas. I only want one livery (no, not One livery) and it is not in this initial announcement.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

I would not be at all surprised to find some of the obvious missing liveries in the Winter 2022 announcement. Following the formula with the Class 08s, announce a batch and get people pre-ordering because they have to have one, then sweep in with some more liveries for a second wave of sales coming up to Christmas. I only want one livery (no, not One livery) and it is not in this initial announcement.

Certainly seems to be a trend now, with the 08 and 37 both seeing more livery variations than we would previoulsy have expected. I did note that the product numbering goes from -783 to -785, which suggests there might be a -784 yet to be announced. 

I'll be amazed if there isn't a run of Virgin or INTERCITY mk.2fs in the Novemeber or February announcements. although I can see some logic in releasing the motive power first to further ramp up demand. 

Now all we need is a decent, accurately shaped mk.3!

Tom.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Loving this news! Definitely bad for the wallet, given how many livery variations (just the obvious ones) there are still to come.

I expect something like the Malcolm and the Freightconnections will be Collectors Club specials (as per the OO version).

Just need a rake of Mk3 Firsts in Intercity Swallow for the full InterCity Tours set.

JASB

• Like 1

Very welcome news! Hopefully we'll get some Intercity and Virgin coaching stock too or these locos will be pretty lonely.

With all this electric stock coming out, what are people using for catenary? (I know Kato is cheap and readily available, but it takes work and imagination to Anglicise it.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TomE said:

Certainly seems to be a trend now, with the 08 and 37 both seeing more livery variations than we would previoulsy have expected. I did note that the product numbering goes from -783 to -785, which suggests there might be a -784 yet to be announced. 

Given that 783 is Virgin and 785 is Freightliner with 780-782 covering the first years of the class I would guiess 784 is going to be Privitasation, either Freightliner Green, EWS or DB Schenker will appear in the Nobember list

10 hours ago, fezza said:

With all this electric stock coming out, what are people using for catenary? (I know Kato is cheap and readily available, but it takes work and imagination to Anglicise it.)

Dapol and N Brass Loco produce some, and continental manufacturers often offer OHL catenary.

• Thanks 1

Great news 👍 and release expected Q4 2022 if I've understood correctly. There was a period a few years ago where they promised to reduce the time between release to availability in the shops.......seems they have met this promise. 

11 hours ago, fezza said:

Very welcome news! Hopefully we'll get some Intercity and Virgin coaching stock too or these locos will be pretty lonely.

I am by no means an expert on the real thing, so please take the info below as a lose guide and I am sure others are available:

I've been very happy with the nBrass kits, but they do need a bit of patients/time to build, they replicate catenary seen around stations on the southern wcml.

I know Duncan, who has built the brilliant shirebrook layout, had some etches that look very good for the type of 4 track catenary seen more often in countryside sections of track. I have no idea if he still has them or would be willing to produce more, but it would be worth asking him if this is something of interest (again mainly on the southern section of the wcml).

Dapol make a reasonably generic single track gantry which is ready to install and looks good on a number of different layouts and loosely represents the kind of thing seen on the northern twin track section of the wcml. 

If you are feeling brave scratch building has given some lovely results on Simon's Dallam layout. Some items like transformer or insulators are available from sommerfeld, unfortunately the catenary itself is based on German or Swiss prototypes. 

I have never had to cross a baseboard join and (I cannot even think of a way to do this) but on layouts that do not need to be disassembled I have had success using EZ line for the wires which I think is intended for model boat rigging. It's flexible and can cope with light knocks. 

All the best

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

I have never had to cross a baseboard join and (I cannot even think of a way to do this) but on layouts that do not need to be disassembled I have had success using EZ line for the wires which I think is intended for model boat rigging. It's flexible and can cope with light knocks.

If I recall correctly, Kinlett Wharf positioned larger, more substantial gantries at basboard joints and these were split in half to disguise the gap in the catenary and clipped together when the layout was assembled. You can just make it out in the photo below by the DVT: 

Kinlet Wharf - DSC_3132

Works better for the WCML style of OHLE, the ECML headspans would prove trickier!

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 03/08/2022 at 13:03, Steven B said:

Yay!

Fingers crossed the rerun with additional liveries comes quicker than it has in OO gauge. I'd like one in Intercity Mainline...

Steven B.

I hedged my bets that Scotrail wasn't going to come any time soon and got Mercig to do an old 90 in that livery, I'll be a bit gutted if it comes too soon! 😃

12 hours ago, fezza said:

I'm messing about with 3D printing it. Generally works well from my limited testing, although it'll need beefing up to be strong enough to withstand wires, even EZ-Line. The NBrass stuff does look good, I'm just better at using a 3D printer than I am at making etches!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1