Graham Farish Class 90

AY Mod

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2022 at 13:17, 87023Velocity said:

90019 Penny Black on hire to Virgin trains. Mine has just arrived and it is a stunning model (dare I say model of the year??), done several laps of the layout in push mode with a rake of 8 Dapol mk3s and a DVT and through a few different crossovers in the fiddleyard again in push mode with no derailments etc.

IMG_20221221_125205052.jpg

IMG_20221221_125355111.jpg

IMG_20221221_125259418.jpg

That will be down to factors other than the lovely new 90 pushing.  Back to backs track laying gaps etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Well it has been worth the wait, I can only agree with the previous positive posts. Another supurb model from Bachmann in my opinion👍.

DSC_0041_2.jpg.b074c54cfba5643e7844933e6b3ba6b4.jpg

Ooh crikey Dave, slap some weathering on and that looks the mutt's nuts!

Jo

8 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Ooh crikey Dave, slap some weathering on and that looks the mutt's nuts!

Jo

Hi Jo,

I hope you are well.

Yeah I was really impressed with how well it took to a little weathering. It had a very similar feel about it to revolutions 92. There is a lot of (at least to my untrained eye🙂) very good and accurate detailing in the model that doesn't stand out as well as it might. I think this is because of the mono tone colours (mainly black for the boggies, light grey only for the roof detail etc.). Picking out a few additional details and some dry bushing helped the detail to be more visible. I totally understand that this kind of painting is impossible for a mass production model at a sensible price. But it's nice that they have taken the effort to add so many small details in the model. 

All the best,

Dave

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

There is a lot of (at least to my untrained eye🙂) very good and accurate detailing in the model that doesn't stand out as well as it might. I think this is because of the mono tone colours (mainly black for the boggies, light grey only for the roof detail etc.). Picking out a few additional details and some dry bushing helped the detail to be more visible.

Yes I think you're absolutely spot on there Dave. I think there's a few models with lovely detail that are under rated until hit with some weathering. You're making me want to crack the weathering gear out, but I haven't the time at the moment and the airbrush booth is packed away!

Jo

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I understand that it's not idea for anyone not wanting to modify the model, but one upside to having the rubbing bar and the buffers as standard in the extending position is that it's pretty straightforward to model either accurately. Removing material carefully with side cutters before regluing the buffers is a lot easier than adding material to move the rubbing bar further forwards. 

IMG_20230316_195050_HDR2.jpg.9cc753efdb9473ce79e50f2f7d03e883.jpg

IMG_20230316_195014_HDR2.jpg.a247ea1bce858f4c0429976903dd299c.jpg

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Nice work!

Has anyone else had issues coupling up to Dapol Mk3s? Using standard Rapido's the two won't stay coupled as the coupler heights are very different. I've switched to the Dapol Easi-shunts which are just about OK.

Steven B.

• Like 2

On 20/04/2023 at 13:16, Steven B said:

Nice work!

Has anyone else had issues coupling up to Dapol Mk3s? Using standard Rapido's the two won't stay coupled as the coupler heights are very different. I've switched to the Dapol Easi-shunts which are just about OK.

Steven B.

Hi Steven,

I haven't had issues with decoupling so far, but after reading your message I took a look at the coupler heights and found the difference in height you mentioned.

IMG_20230425_201522_HDR.jpg.2cde38f284b87898abcf13f668230935.jpg

Do you have specific situations where it details? So far I have only really run on straight track of larger radius curves. 

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nothing special - out of the box Dapol Mk3a TSO, Farish 90 (Intercity Swallow and RfD)  running on Kato Unitrack - mostly straights with some 282mm and 315mm curves (11" & 12.4").

Out of the box, using the fitted Rapido couplings I had no trouble pushing a rake of 10 Mk3a + DVT. Hauling the rake resulted in plenty of unwanted uncouplings. Switching to the taller Dapol Easi-shunts solved the problem.

Don't recall having any problems with Farish Mk1 or Mk2F - at one point I was using a Farish BG as a barrier between the class 90 and the Mk3s. 

Steven B.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
13 hours ago, jdbsg65 said:

Anyone had issues with pulling power? Have 2 helix on the layout and all of the 90s struggle to pull 5 Dapol mk3s up them. The Dapol 86's have no trouble

I have found similar. The class 90 is the worst of the locos I've run up the gradients on the helix I have on the layout here. Farish 31s, 37s, 47s and 60s as well as Dapol 86s all seem able to haul longer trains (or the same length train without significant reductions in speed). On the flat sections I haven't managed to make a train long enough yet to cause a noticeable issue on (reasonably/close to) level track. I haven't found a solution to improve this, so sorry it's not a more helpful post, but at least you don't seem to be alone with this issue. 

I was lucky enough to have some sheet lead from another project and cut some to fit the gaps between the body and the chassis, then wrapped in kapton tape to stop any potential shorting. I have done this with the new Farish 60's, Dapol 66's & 68's, and Revolution 92's. In some cases I have managed to add almost 10g to the loco. It makes a big difference in pulling power.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

On 09/04/2023 at 07:03, johny retro said:

Agreed.

The pan is the only disappointing feature on this model. Looks awful!

I think awful is a bit unfair. It’s a pretty good rendition of a BWHS pantograph to my eye. A true scale one would be insanely fragile, and people would complain about them breaking. I think the Revolution one is still better (partly as they managed to omit the extra support arm on the lower part) but the Farish one is a close second, and vastly better than Dapol’s bizarrely ‘stretched’ one (which I understand they’re redoing) or the old generic sprung Sommerfeldt ones.

Shame haulage isn’t all that. Mine have been pressed into use on 20 BYAs (6 year olds 🤷‍♂️ ), but they’re destined for a decent Freightliner rake eventually! 

• Agree 2