RMweb

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I shall have to add some of that WS realistic water to my (rather long) shopping list.  It looks great running down the rocks, as do the small pools at the bottom of the rock face.

Damn.  Of course it can't be shipped from the UK, far too dangerous!  I did find a supplier over here but they want 60 euros for a bottle!  I can get hold of Woodland Scenics Liquid Water Effects though, which is C1212 rather than C1211.  Any idea if it would be similar?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham T said:

Damn.  Of course it can't be shipped from the UK, far too dangerous!  I did find a supplier over here but they want 60 euros for a bottle!  I can get hold of Woodland Scenics Liquid Water Effects though, which is C1212 rather than C1211.  Any idea if it would be similar?

Hi Graham. I don’t think they are quite the same. The realistic water gives plain still water, while the water effects is a bit thicker and can be used for adding things like ripples, waterfalls and icicles. There’s a number of videos on You Tube that are worth taking a look at, but beware some of the Woodland scenics ones. They don’t mention that the product shrinks and I have learned this the hard way. A retrospective look at the bottle yielded the information “product may shrink”. Take it from me, there’s no “may” about it.

So, the jury is out on realistic water. I’ve got a bit more to do, so I’ll post my conclusions in a couple of days. What I’m thinking is that it works well for the pools at the base of the clif and for doing marshy ground, but for puddles I’ll go back to using microscope slide covers like I did in Yelverton.

Alex

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Coming on a treat Alex,a lovely scene you are creating. Most realistic.

On the water on the rocks look, Simon over at Heaton Lodge Junction used thin cheap super glue to good effect, I copied & even used for oil presence on axle boxes it works very well.

Edited by AdeMoore
Spellin
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think I've caught up at last!  Stunning work Mr. Wiggo, looks very "Forest of Dean".

I'm envious of your speed of production, I'm forever getting bogged down in details myself.

One question, the rear baseboard hinge is covered by the cottage, but where is the front hinge?  Or have I missed something?

All the best, Dave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DLT said:

One question, the rear baseboard hinge is covered by the cottage, but where is the front hinge?  Or have I missed something?

All the best, Dave.

Well spotted Dave. The front hinge and risers are removable. The risers are bolted to the layout frame. You just need to remember to have bothe hinges in place before trying to fold the layout. A removable piece of scenery will fill the holes when the layout is set up. I firstctried the idea on "Upwell Drove" which has removable hinges front and back as I wanted to keep the scenery at the back and front of the layout low.

Alex

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

Progress with the lorries for the quarry. The Millicast kits make up nicely, but they are not for a beginner. The material used is quite brittle, and thre isn’t much in the way of location points. Painting brings out the detail. I’ve had some transfers made for the quarry company.

6765CFD3-882E-4862-A165-2818516F4BA6.jpeg.fa1cb8e08e82942612b7672a1095e58a.jpeg

F8846748-E189-4458-9B89-E285512DC6EE.jpeg.4a2f11cdf91c56da75caf19519bd7d38.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Great set of photos, Alex. 

Lovely modelling. 

Rob

• Agree 5

• 2 weeks later...