GER W&U Train Packs

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GeoffBird said:

A minor point, the train pack as issued is incorrect.  According to the Oakwood Press book on the W&U the first time a 0-6-0 Tram was used on a passenger train was 1927 - in LNER livery just before the passenger service was withdrawn.  Until then all passenger Trains had been hauled by the

0-4-0 Tram locos and the Class J70 locos restricted to the freight services.  Not that I mind - they are such beautiful models I am happy to overlook  this.

The freight traffic was usually outgoing fruit traffic in the summer months, with cattle vans used for the Thursday Wisbech market.  The main incoming traffic was coal  PO wagons seen on gthe tramway included ASustin & Co., Clay Cross, Conte & Warren, Dinnington (available in RTR), Manchester Collieries and Wigan Coal.

Yes I hope we've been quite honest that the 0-6-0Ts were goods engines. This train pack is essentially composed of re-liveried versions of two existing models plus the extra mould slides for the other coach, which is how we were able to make it happen, as Andy says this wouldn't have been possible as a standalone model if we didn't already have the Model Rail J70 and the Titfield projects.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GeoffBird said:

A minor point, the train pack as issued is incorrect.  According to the Oakwood Press book on the W&U the first time a 0-6-0 Tram was used on a passenger train was 1927 - in LNER livery just before the passenger service was withdrawn.  Until then all passenger Trains had been hauled by the

0-4-0 Tram locos and the Class J70 locos restricted to the freight services.  Not that I mind - they are such beautiful models I am happy to overlook  this.

1229938.8CE605BD8C63A3F6.jpg.012ab1b8f5652a70ad6b836b07696288.jpg

Sadly, I'm unable to credit the photographer but on the basis that the caption is correct in terms of the loco itself ( and it looks right ) then 129 was introduced in early 1921 and renumbered by the LNER in 1924...so in all probabilty this is pre 1924.........

Rob. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Sadly, I'm unable to credit the photographer but on the basis that the caption is correct in terms of the loco itself ( and it looks right ) then 129 was introduced in early 1921 and renumbered by the LNER in 1924...so in all probability this is pre 1924.........

Rob. 

But the caption states that is a G15 (ie one of the 0-4-0 tram locomotives that regularly hauled the passenger trams since 1883).  No 129 was built in 1885 and in 1921 was renumbered by the GER to become 0129 (ie it was placed on the duplicates list) to release the number 129 for the new C53 0-6-0 tram that was built in 1921.  If that is in fact G15 129 as the captions states, then it must be pre-1921.  G15 no 129 / 0129 became 07129 under the LNER, whereas C53 number 129 became 7129 under the LNER.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Yes I hope we've been quite honest that the 0-6-0Ts were goods engines.

I think those that are bothered by absolute correctness will have identified it long ago and made the decision. To be honest I bought the GER pack for the loco, the coaches are just a nice bonus 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Sadly, I'm unable to credit the photographer but on the basis that the caption is correct in terms of the loco itself ( and it looks right ) then 129 was introduced in early 1921 and renumbered by the LNER in 1924...so in all probabilty this is pre 1924.........

Rob. 

This is a GER G15.  It is clearly still in GER livery, as one can see the initials. I would guess the picture dates in the period 1903 to the Great War.

G15 No. 129 was of the second batch, to order number N17, of 1885. It was withdrawn in 1933. 

The confusion no doubt arises from the fact that this loco was placed on the duplicate list, as 0129, in 1921, and the number 129 was thereupon transferred to one of the newly built C53s/J70s.

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all. I got my C53s and G15s mixed up. 

Note to self, don't research when away from your books and in a busy shop. 

Rob. 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Thanks all. I got my C53s and G15s mixed up. 

Note to self, don't research when away from your books and in a busy shop. 

Rob. 

Not the only one. Toby, in my view, was always ambiguous, and IIRC the good Reverend suggested at one point he was a Y6, though I think the final answer is that he was a J70.

If so, there's a J70 on passenger duties right there!

image.png.651bcc00a39c0c5f3eadd5aa9afa5f21.png

6 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

Minor digression...

What's that flat round thing on the front ?

Headcode disc. In the position for an ordinary passenger service, IIRC, notionally in the above the smokebox position.

These tended to be white, green or red. Single lines. IIRC, tended to be red, but could be green. Some lines had special rules. I cannot recall if the W&U did off hand. Would need to look up the point. 

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Not the only one. Toby, in my view, was always ambiguous, and IIRC the good Reverend suggested at one point he was a Y6, though I think the final answer is that he was a J70.

If so, there's a J70 on passenger duties right there!

image.png.651bcc00a39c0c5f3eadd5aa9afa5f21.png

Headcode disc. In the position for an ordinary passenger service, IIRC, notionally in the above the smokebox position.

These tended to be white, green or red. Single lines. IIRC, tended to be red, but could be green. Some lines had special rules. I cannot recall if the W&U did off hand. Would need to look up the point. 

Thanks - so presumably those intending to haul a coach [or two...] behind their splendid Rapido C53/J70 will need one

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

And once again following the rules of:

Loco with chimney at the Upwell end

Brake coach at the front of train, no brake on the rear.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I must say thanks to Rapido and Chris M in particular. My 'alternative' cowcatchers ( Sheepcatchers in my case ) arrived today. 

Another example of Rapido's commitment to and their engagement with their customers. 

Thank you. 

Rob

• Like 9

On 14/12/2023 at 12:50, RapidoCorbs said:

"But I don't catch cows, Sir"

Sorry for the confusion about them being in the instructions and not in the package.

If you do want to swap the cow-catchers for the non-tension lock variety, we can send you a pair FOC.

All you need to do is go here, say you bought a W&U Pack and you would like a pair of cow-catchers without coupling holes:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/warranty-form/

Please allow for the usual Christmas post delay.

Just a quick thank you to Rapido for the replacement cowcatcher.

But when the package arrived I thought it was the complete engine, but alas no!

20231220_114431.jpg.4bd872a42222064cb04ab5c5f3b9dc2c.jpg

Paul

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

On 19/12/2023 at 11:43, RapidoCorbs said:

The colours for this project were chosen with the help of several consultants including the GER Society, we are very grateful to all who gave their input.

We arrived at a light grey shade from a combination of notes and advice and by looking at the available photographic evidence. It is quite bright but it is the colour we chose and we're happy with it 🙂 

Another historical consultant said to me 'the only person who will truly be able to correctly advise you is the 150 year old with 20/20 eyesight and perfect recall, so at some point you have to make a call on it'.

Others may be interested in this digitised image on the GERS website in the C53 section of the locomotives category (scroll down to the third one)C53 (gersociety.org.uk) 

Since the locomotive was built in 1921 it's possible that the photograph was taken on the then new panchromatic film.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a play with a sound fitted specimen today, Great fun and quite loud but I was intrigued to find that the sound file contains a couple of whistles as well as, for me at least, the more expected bell. I just didn't expect a whistle as well as a bell. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Had a play with a sound fitted specimen today, Great fun and quite loud but I was intrigued to find that the sound file contains a couple of whistles as well as, for me at least, the more expected bell. I just didn't expect a whistle as well as a bell. 

Rob. 

It's all about the bells and whistles these days.

Adrian

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

The "train" looks a lot better with screw couplings. Removing the kinematic coupler arm on the carriages and NEM pockets was "fun", to enable fitting screw couplings. I know now how the flaps/walkway are fitted!

20231220_191751.jpg.d5c880424c65e72d044215b13af99297.jpg

The "goody bag" includes a number of pipe fitting options, but looking at a few GER period photos of the carriage c1920, I think a single brake pipe is correct, as this photo shows.

original_236bcea9-4e01-48b3-9915-7586def04871_20211229_194148.jpg.6a9ce074cbf7252f5c9c68b18de2d4d0.jpg

Paul

Edited by PaulG
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PaulG said:

The "train" looks a lot better with screw couplings. Removing the kinematic coupler arm on the carriages and NEM pockets was "fun", to enable fitting screw couplings. I know now how the flaps/walkway are fitted!

20231220_191751.jpg.d5c880424c65e72d044215b13af99297.jpg

The "goody bag" includes a number of pipe fitting options, but looking at a few GER period photos of the carriage c1920, I think a single brake pipe is correct, as this photo shows.

original_236bcea9-4e01-48b3-9915-7586def04871_20211229_194148.jpg.6a9ce074cbf7252f5c9c68b18de2d4d0.jpg

Paul

Correct Paul. As I posted elsewhere a while back, the steam heating and gas lighting were not fitted until September 1928, during the conversions for transfer to the Kelvedon & Tollesbury, so just the Westinghouse brake pipe at this date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another livery related question - If the pre-1919 coaches are "carriage brown" (I.e repainted after a few years in service rather than being in original teak), shouldn't they be lined? (1/4 inch yellow to quarterlight and upper panels)

- James

According to the experts not all carriages received the lining in carriage brown livery. I think we came to the conclusion that after stuffing the photographic evidence available neither vehicle ever received lining. Possibly done deliberately to match the tram body? 

Andy

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1