Tavistock Junction Traction and Rolling Stock Maintenance Depot

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

Last night while looking for another project I found a half finished Lima NKA super GUV.  A little work later and the reboige (replacing Lima’s rubbish with Bachmann Commonwelth bogies.) 

All of my RES stock was in the later EWS hybrid livery without the Res flash’s.  A review of Flickr shows some Super BG in this livery in 1999 but no sign of GUV, fortunately I have the Fox transfers to finish it off.  Though comparing the colour with the model Lima got it completely wrong.   So today the 4 NKA had the grey stripe resprayed into the correct shade.

Once dry they can be finished off with the required transfers.IMG_8614.jpeg.54a02c4936841df07516bbb97bccd1fd.jpeg

All 4 are fitted with Bachmann commonwelth bogies, but still need rebuilding the brake gear (Lima having supplied them vac brakes.)

I had 6 of these with 5 different running numbers.  2 of which had already been modified and fitted with a length of lead sheet glued in place with evostick.  The glue / lead / plastic had reacted melting the floor of the coach (pulling in the middle and bowing out the sides.  I thought I could save it cutting down the centre but the bowed sides would need a repaint after fixing.  This left me with the duplicate number example being needed, so it was renumbered.  Not the easiest job with Lima, so I scraped off the original with a scalpel, cleaned up with ultra fine wet&dry then a coat of Klear.

Speaking of brake conversions, two of my Bachmann super BGs are the original version with the wrong roof detail and vac brakes.  One is a spare, but the required coach was modified with the right roof vents, removal of vac brakes and addition of cast air tank, distributor and actuator (the latter two parts are also missing from the ‘good’ chassis version so were added to that as well.

Finally the PCV, both of which had also been fitted with lead (this time to the roof).  It has bowed up at one end, down in the middle (with signs of melting) and up again at the other end.   Clearly it needs fixing, my first thought is a thick layer of filler over the damaged centre (which has been applied) then sanding back the raised bits).

The alternative will be cutting off the whole roof and replacing with an MJT metal one. The over thick roof ribs need to go either way.IMG_8593.jpeg.1a43a1a1f56a57029d6b3388c58253d1.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A little more on the RES stock:

first up the missing photo from yesterday of the NBA

IMG_8677.jpeg.cdfaffa305448a0bf8a51c6b04396277.jpeg

The NKA have now been fitted with RES logos, after respraying the grey band the colour match is much better (it also helps in that it’s fixed the red showing through on the tops of the doors).   For 3 of the coaches my models were missing the Royal Mail logos.  I think (from photos) this is most likely incorrect for 1999 so I’ve added Replica transfers.    I am missing the Rail Express Systems lettering so will have to make up some transfers for this if I can find the font…. The @railtec-models custom lettering would be perfect for it if they have the required font as one sheet will sort our all my remaining coaches.

IMG_8675.jpeg.350f413686ee8a17b6ef65a27d29d802.jpeg

3 still need wheels (for which I need to arrange some more swaps to get rid of my excess P4 wheels for OO ones), they also need work on the couplings as the kaydees are far too close together it will bufferlock on almost any curve. I need to remove and replace with my custom boxes that shift the pivot forward making a no5 work for this.

finally the damaged PCV has now had 2 coats of filler to the roof and will be ready for a first file tomorrow.  I suspect this will be the first of many….   I’ve not fitted transfers to this one yet intentionally, as it’s in for some rough handling!IMG_8678.jpeg.977dff66bb646b49db7171452b624521.jpeg

The parcels fleet consists of 4 NKA, 2 NBA and 2 NAA propelling control vehicles.

Along side 3 NSA 2 NTA and an NUA for the TPO.  None of which is of any use for any of my current layouts….   The plan is that on the eventual continuous run 1999 layout, I would have a parcels train in one direction and the TPO in other.   Depending on formation l the NKA or TPO could be sandwiched between either the NAA or NBA.   Having sold off my other pair of NAA several years ago, I can’t do the longer formation of pcv, guv, guv, pcv, pcv, guv, guv, pcv. But I can live with that (it does mean I’m probably one GUV over what I need)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just seen @railtec-modelsdo the Rail express systems lettering so a pack of those has been ordered for collection at Warley.  I now need 12 axles of 14mm coach wheels to get them working, (I have Maygib or Branchlines p4 wheels to swap at Warley)…

will need to have a look at those couplings as well I think…

overnight I’ve been printing the v4 EWS SSA scrap wagon.   I have modified the drawing to add drainage holes in the bottom to avoid the pressure issue (plus increased the angle on the build plate) which worked nicely as I finally have a good print.   There are however pulling issues along the bottom edge, will see how well I can clean these up tomorrow.  If not I think the answer is adding a beam along the top edge (that’s cut off after) and printing upside down 

IMG_8683.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Version 4 of the SSA was given a quick coat of primer over lunch, as ever there are a few imperfections but nothing major and certainly all fixable with a little wet and dry.  The issues with the solebar at first look appear to have been sorted with a little filing when removing the remains of the supports.    I have fitted it with my printed buffers, so its now ready for fitting with some suspension units and castings.   Hopefully should get a coat of EWS red / gold onto it before Warley (transfers will have to wait).  

IMG_8690.jpeg

IMG_8689.jpeg

IMG_8688.jpeg

Now that the design is proved, I will crack on with adapting the drawing to get the alternative version with the straight solbar and different suspension for a bit of variation. 

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

After a quick tidy up, this is the current state. 

underframe bits are Cambrian fitted to a set of Bill Bedford suspension.  I need to get some unsprung w irons to use going forward.  (Or for springing I’d use the Stenson parts).    Brake gear is also Cambrian from the scrap box (I am thinking

going forward I think I will just do my own.   The wheels still need brake disks adding.

I have a pile of ladders to work out which looks best, again I may just print this (as a separate part) going forwards.

Later this evening it will get paint (and a test fit of a load) IMG_8698.jpeg.da0e5697a20a99a06b1b13dd69d25988.jpeg

Quick test on the layout along side a scratch built scrap wagon which still needs a brake leaver and buffers

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

IMG_8702.jpeg.99c1043d77fb84d1d3f6f5b7fc45468a.jpegIMG_8701.jpeg.fd25a2f0fc9f5acf24f519b5e3b6a55b.jpeg

paint is now complete, just needs some satin varnish to finish off.  Ladders are made from 4 Bachmann HEA ladders (left over from barrier wagon conversions.  
the load is from an Eastern European company who’s name escapes me, it is unfortunately a little too short for the wagon and will need to be extended slightly.  I only have one more of these (along with one in a Blackadder and one in the left hand wagon above). So will need to find an alternative for the other 5 in the planned rake.

edit: the loads were by Duha, cant see them online so assume no longer trading

The aim now is to get the ews logos and ohle flashes added to get it as complete as possible before Warley, with numbers to follow once my custom page is printed.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

IMG_8704.jpeg.83b0e95d9e0cfaa7f45487761fc4518e.jpeg

a little more work on the pcv over lunch, the roof has been filed to reduce the height where it bowed upward, while the damaged area has too many coats of filler to count.  I have now done a second rough shaping file, followed by even more filler.

the next step will be another sand followed by a coat of paint to flag up any other imperfections 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The PCV is now fully repaired along with adding the missing res logos.  It has taken a lot of filler, but I’m pleased it’s finally sorted!

IMG_8744.jpeg.9d15efb77204a1b987c9d671ef9feb45.jpeg

At Warley I picked up a pack of @railtec-models transfers for the Rail Express Systems branding on the NKA super GUV.   Which has finished them off nicely IMG_8742.jpeg.551f5d9c30554b2c224a6f8a290dbbc8.jpeg

IMG_8741.jpeg.52295771d40b0dbfa7ddf4c3da6cd15d.jpeg

the last issue on these are will be the couplings with the current kaydees too tight for anything other than straight track.  The plan is some buffer beam mounted Hunt Couplings.  Just need to design some suitable coupling boxes for them. If it works as intended I will do the same for my mk3s.

IMG_8743.jpeg.64d1feb2adaf7af35b24c35276e94a6d.jpeg

I’ve also managed progress on the BTA conversion, with the base wagon now complete so I just need to draw and print the bolsters.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

More progress on the pipe wagon last night, which now has the new lower sides filler sanded back followed by a coat of EWS red.  Before work this morning I drew up the cad for the new stanchions which will be printed this evening.

Ive found a suitable diameter pipe to use for a load (through it will need a second packet ordering to get it fully loaded), so all being well this one should be finished ready to enter the queue for transfers later this week. 

• RMweb Gold

Lots more work on the BTA this evening, which if not for a silly mistake would now be complete.

with the 3d printed parts cleaned and cured I set to work fitting them IMG_8754.jpeg.9c885af30548e7b67e151ae1ed1b9900.jpegIMG_8755.jpeg.3c9756a9ff33525ef26415d03adec71f.jpeg

All was looking good before I noticed the stupid error in that I’d angled the tops the wrong way round!  While I could cut them off the bolsters and reattach, it will be quicker to just correct the drawing tomorrow and reprint.  Wish I’d noticed a bit earlier to redesign this evening!

I need to make a slight change to the Hunt coupling box as well, as it’s about 1mm too long for the guv (but is good for other applications). For a test build I shortened the pocket, but seeing as I will be rubbing the printer again anyway I may as well print some more short ones 

IMG_8756.jpeg.435daada17083710040c02bd195a70a0.jpegIMG_8757.jpeg.3086935bf21676a903f8cca83532848b.jpeg

edit: CAD has been adjusted, so will set the printer off before work and should have some parts by lunchtime…

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

IMG_8761.jpeg.49ed21439f79b459e250516f6a33e971.jpeg

The current state of the BTA having now fitted the new parts, it needs the wooden tops of the bolsters painting (along with ews gold on the tops of the stanchions), and a coat of Klear to add some life to the red.

IMG_8766.jpeg.af1d4362dd06b88fee44f63f1f326f21.jpegIMG_8764.jpeg.2a3459194d66456927820fa513fe587c.jpegIMG_8763.jpeg.70c6ff8345114ac28abc875e261218d2.jpeg

I have also fitted Hunt couplings to the RES stock, they all need some paint (plus a bit of filler to blend in the coupling box.IMG_8762.jpeg.395b87eb4070ad3aef907099ec7e044c.jpeg

the NKA and the PCV would also benefit from some varnish to seal in the transfers (particularly one of the PCV on which the paint is a little too flat). Eventually they will get weathered 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A little more work, with the stanchion tops now in EWS gold (although still needs at least one more coat), the underframe weathered and the floor finished offIMG_8768.jpeg.2761e7c160d510f132b9b4685fa39e03.jpeg

my approach for the wooden floor is to first paint each timber individually using a mix of 3 browns and a grey (dipping the brush into multiple colours each time to mix it up.)  Todays job was to overpaint this with a mix of red, brown and black which had been watered down before wiping off in the direction of the grain.   The right hand 2 panels are after the way, the left beforeIMG_8767.jpeg.11b964c6670130a58b215aef0caf1c7a.jpeg

the sim is to blend in any ovetpainted areas and leave the dark colour in the gaps between planks  

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Always the way, pretty much finish a project and then find the information that you needed at the start...    In this case that the stanchions scale out at 2.6mm rather than my assumed 3mm 

So its going to need a third iteration of the print running, though given the amount of cleaning up today's print needed I will hold fire until the temperature improves so  I can get a better quality print.

Fortunately the incorrect part is just superglued in place so should snap off pretty easily 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Time for yet another rescue project.

This set of EWS wagons has been kicking around on ebay for quite a while, last weekend it switched from a BiN to an auction at half the price, so I couldnt resist sticking in a low bid.   

IMG_8787.png.046069641b5873829aaca5bd73236f91.png

In the late 90s there were a series of workings of these boxes Exeter / Plymouth in conjunction with cable laying (telewest if I recall correctly).  At least one of which was worked by a class 59 rather than the usual 37 pairs.   I have already got 5 in Trainload Coal (that I had planned to respray) and 2 in EWS, although the majority were EWS or Mainline looking at photos so some of the former will still need repainting.  

Example Formations:

59103 in original ARC, 10 EWS, 4 RF Coal, 2 Mainline  (which were then tripped from Tavy Junction in two half rakes)

Pair Class 37s 7 EWS, 4 Coal, 2 Mainline

EWS Class 66, 13 EWS, 2 Coal, 2 Mainline

It arrived today so I can start on the rescue.   As it came the 5 MEA all use the old chassis, complete with a number of broken buffers (as described) and missing ladders (which I hadnt spotted).  I still have a bunch of Bachmann HEAs (new chassis) plus one MFA which these bodies will be swapped over to.   Ladders will be an easy fix as I need to print a similar ladder for the SSAs anyway.  Better still they have all arrived with good metal wheels rather than the rubbish Bachmann split axles I was expecting.

The first job after stripping down the models was to soak in water for a few hours and then chisel out the rubbish loads.  these were fully filled with ballast and weighted a ton!   This will be followed by weathering removal before fitting to the new chassis

IMG_8788.jpeg.0e0d068fd59dca0cefe6eec81af053ca.jpeg

The wagons also came with a Hornby Shark in EWS, its missing its ploughs and one buffer (all of which I can replace from the scrap box).  I am going to change the identity and have my eye on one in full EWS (with stripe).  Seeing as the prototype Hornby modelled should have plywood ends rather than planks.

All in all I am quite pleased with how this one is looking, for £22 the cost of the wagon is not much more than the value of the wheels, and at first impression all of the wagons are saveable,

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Not a lot to show for the amount of work that’s gone into the MEA so far, but the loads are now fully removed and I’ve set to work removing the weathering. This has proved harder than I’d like, and in a few areas I’ve resorted to repainting.  Will see in the morning if the finish is good enough else they will all get stripped and fully resprayed.

I’ve lost a few ews logos and numbers in the process, but some need renumbering anyway (and the ews logos are on the same Railtec sheet.). Just need to get one ordered…

the Shark has shown more progress,  originally I had planned to just sell this, but now with my interest in EWS liveried BR wagons I’m going to finish as 993791 in ex works April 1999 condition as a ZUW.  To that end it’s now been fully repainted, the broken pillars on the end platform rebuilt and is almost ready for transfers.IMG_8797.jpeg.41b221b485d12a9d6909b20f0a97ac2c.jpeg

it’s missing its ploughs (with wasp stripes…) and all bar one brake shoe. Along with painting the handrails.  I’m surprised Hornby didn’t choose this one over the EWS 993753 they actually made, given it’s ‘standard’ ews livery is a lot more appealing 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

IMG_8799.jpeg.43855651e68d7a68eea57323370fa01f.jpeg

some finishing touches this morning, better sort some transfers I guess.

the next issue is the (missing) ploughs.  I can pinch some from the Loadhaul van (which will be in the bottom of the to do pile for a long time).   They will need painting yellow with wasp stripes (naturally I can’t wait to do this…)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

IMG_8828.jpeg.2005d00d0c02b7a4487462d7c3d41782.jpeg

it’s been a long time coming but 08644 has finally been finished with an etched BR logo (purchased from Bachmann Spares to get my order over the threshold for free postage. 

it will eventually still need Dinghams adding, but for the moment dcc / couplings is not a priority for the Laira fleet and won’t be until I get on with building the layout. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

IMG_8848.jpeg.de035095317ff5a92f2ab5b2247de959.jpeg

A bit more of todays spraying, adding intercity exec light grey to the third sleeper for the Paddington - Penzance set along with mk1 RMB 1871 which was used in the loco hauled set (with the prototype car carrier).

This was followed by hand painting the grey on the mk1.  The prototype had. Very blotchy finish that will be difficult to replicate 

IMG_8853.jpeg.bb2143760d4eca94955bb8edaf373e65.jpeg

My intention is to be able to run two different formations (for the summer 1999 timetable it was not nearly as much a fixed formation as it was in later years.)  I’ve mentioned before one formation includes: BG, 3 TSO, RMB, 2FO (for which I have everything ready to go).

An alternative working (Paddington Penzance) on the same video as the below formation had 47, BSO, 4 tso, mk1 rmb, 2 fo

The other more interesting formation that I’ve found more recently is a Penzance to Paddington service comprising: 47, FO, mk1 RMB, 4 TSO, BSO, NVA car carrier prototype 

So looks like a forth tso is needed, I had bees debating whether to do another 2d conversion or the high speed recording coach.  I think I will use a full Bachmann model for the latter, and will use the new body to do another 2d tso on my last Airfix chassis.

of course I’m still short of the ideal situation of being able to field both a loco hauled set and the sleeper.  But in all honesty I don’t see how often both would be on a layout at once 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Intercity mk1 RMB project (started back when Bachmann first released the RMB) is finally finished as 1871 in 1999 condition.  
I couldn’t find the original chassis (I’m not sure if I’ve missplaced it or used it for one of my TPO conversions).   Instead I’ve rebuilt a spare brake chassis, modifying the equipment boxes to match 1871.

The body has been modified to remove all the door handles (per the prototype which was not CDL fitted), I also cut off the grab handles and replaced with Southern Pride etches.  This was more to make life easier than for the detail improvement, the rest of the rake (Bachmann mk2d conversions) have solid handles.   

Ends were given the usual modifications to remove the redundant end steps.

The roof has been modified to change the vents to match the prototype, along with removing the round vent that was not present on this prototype. 

windows are missing the reinforced window frames the prototype should have, as far as I’m aware no one makes an etch for the RMB’s shorter windows.  I’d say the mk1 is a great candidate for someone like Accurascale to get stuck into given Bachmann haven’t bothered with anything except the earliest condition.  
IMG_8966.jpeg.8246399cf8fa85793e5f0d8a84b97d94.jpegIMG_8964.jpeg.53135c79f8f6a7c82b2141b762fdbdca.jpeg

There are two details missing, a very large rectangular vent on the roof (per below) and an odd looking underframe component.

image.png.0016195afcddff407fbe8332a4973cae.png

Would be interested to know if anyone sells a part for this (or has the dimensions so I can print one)

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

While waiting for glue to dry with the fence wires on Wheal Imogen, I’ve made a start on the next 2d.   The body will have to wait until next week (as it’s in the box of Bachmann bits I asked the mother in law to buy me for Christmas).  But the Airfix chassis has now been fully converted, my article describing the process in the last issue of Update was helpful as a reminder.)

just need to confirm the seat colour plus paint the floor and it’s ready for fitting.

over Christmas id like to get wheels fitted to the rest of the rake and take it for a test run on Brent.  Will also need to sort some couplings for this / the mk1 rmbIMG_8976.jpeg.4c9f93343517f6c665d7187c80cbfe70.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A start on a project for 2024…
I’ve had a last gen EWS 37/4 body in the scrap box for a while (formally it was 521 with the wrong grills before I replaced the body with the 2022 Bachmann).  The plan is to use it as a test bed for the windscreen modifications, to see if I can change them without a full respray.  At which point it will be stripped and converted to 37902 with the Shawplan kit.   So far one windscreen has been prepared (and test fitted with a scrap etch) but I’m still thinking there’s no chance of avoiding the respray.IMG_9007.jpeg.a31748326e2bfad1b8fe6dad69d4b089.jpeg

I still have 37403 and 37710 in the core Wheal Imogen fleet without the full windscreen mod and keep debating retrofits, given lack of body availability for the latter and the complexity of the repainted BR logos for the former.

for 510, 230 and 057 I’m much more likely to either do a whole upgrade or a body swap / respray.   At the end to the day the 10£ or so in etches plus the £100 or so  for selling the old loco and the price differential for a new one is too close to resist.    

edit: I should add the rationale behind choosing 37902 (other than the desire to tackle it from a modelling perspective.) Of all the 37/9 it was one of the few to appear in the south west in 1998/9 having been seen on the Laira fuel tanks (unclear if it also powered them on to Cornwall) plus on dogfish.  Not a useful loco per say, but at least one with a valid purpose (unlike 56049 which most likely will be appearing in the classifieds in the new year to go toward a Cavalex 56 of a prototype that actually made it to Cornwall 

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Preparation for Christmas is finally finished, Hanz Gruber has fallen to his death and it’s time to do some modelling.  

As we are at my parents for Christmas we were at the in-laws for an early celebration this afternoon, who’s gift for me was a box from Bachmann with a 2f TSO body and a Class 47 chassis block, bufferbeams and fuel tanks.  How did she know I wanted something that specific?

IMG_9022.jpeg.a23a7b5cb116f0809e0193d79bd41d99.jpeg
the 2f body has been test fitted on the2d chassis and will be fully converted in the new year.

the 47 bits were a bit of a bargain, available with chassis block and detail pack \screws  for the same price as a bufferbeam and fuel tank.   The original plan was to add plastic mounts to the buffer beam moulding to accept Heljan bogies, now I’m thinking about drilling holes in the side of the cast block to accept them.   Not quite as easy as the plastic option, but a much better loco.  (Although part of the original plan was that it enabled me to have an unpowered loco that was the weight of a coach for top and railing purposes…)IMG_9021.jpeg.01cbeedffb234fd7ac9468bc71c0da37.jpeg

Again I won’t make much headway until later in the new year.    Annoyingly I think East Kent Models were selling off cheap 47 bogies at Warley, it’s almost tempting to try and source a pair cheaply and just finish it as a pure Bachmann model……

Wishing readers a Merry Christmas

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 30/10/2023 at 08:12, The Fatadder said:

image.png.ff4cfccd2cdae0e1f85adbcc7894e48c.png

I have been playing with Inkscape over the weekend, mostly focused on wagon numbers as well as some other bits and pieces.  The most difficult bit was the Swansea Landore logo for 47815.  This will be on clear (not white) and is only about 3mm across.

Excellent. One day I want to get around to modelling 08 795 and will be looking for Landore transfers. 

IMG_20210408_085506.jpg.5f52f45addb8005c6f4c4a6e32cab232.jpg

IMG_20210330_161525.jpg.2293fef40f47bab85ba3009a8ed61f69.jpg

• Like 2