Electrostar in N

wombatofludham

• RMweb Premium

I am planning a plank based loosely on Drayton east of Chichester if it were still open today for the 313's which would also feature the now long gone gravel siding, suitably upgraded and the addition of the 377 to the forthcoming list has pushed this plan to the front of the queue.

If Farish throw in a Southern liveried 319 (Yes I know they did not frequent the Coastway West but never mind) and then perhaps a GWR 158, this is starting to get expensive.

Now, about those unique Lavant to Drayton side discharge hopper wagons?  No?  Thought not..... 😆

• Like 2

Hi Gang;

This is a great announcement and it is good to see that Revolution are planning to do the two specific types of bodyside glazing. The end lighting also varies between many of the types only really standardising on the later 377/379/387 variants.

I, too, think the Heathrow Express units a slightly constricted sphere, but they have been seen at Reading and Oxford for servicing and storage, so not as restricted as first thought. The 379 (if produced) is probably more restricted currently, but could have a future with another operator...but that may mean a new, unknown livery too!!

My own preference would be probably for a pair of GWR Green units to bolster my IET and Class 59 with stone train scene, but the offer of a GatEx set is also tempting as they were borrowed by GWR for a while running as mixed sets. I note that the C2C sets (also borrowed by GWR)  are not currently discussed and would presume that livery is probably not likely to surface in any initial batch.

Lots of options and decisions ahead on where to spend my shekels!!

Later;

Stu from EGVN

Edited by Stu from EGDL

19 minutes ago, Stu from EGDL said:

I note that the C2C sets (also borrowed by GWR)  are not currently discussed and would presume that livery is probably not likely to surface in any initial batch.

No, but a plain white model may offer opportunities if offered like the 321? Mind you, if you're doing up to the minute the C2C lot have gone from GWR now, to Great Northern I think.

Jo

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

No, but a plain white model may offer opportunities if offered like the 321? Mind you, if you're doing up to the minute the C2C lot have gone from GWR now, to Great Northern I think.

Jo

Yes, the C2C 387/3's are now with Great Northern.  I believe that all the GatEx 387/2's that were on loan all over the place are all back home now as well.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

There's definitely at least one 'red' ex-GatEx set in use on Great Northern services - I saw it on Sunday evening!

We haven't yet finalised the exact spread of liveries/versions etc so it may be that a 'plain' version - eg Gt Northern without the branding - is offered as a basis for those wanting something slightly more bespoke.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I know the vast majority of Electrostars are four cars, what about three car units?

Admittedly a more limited scope, only 38 built, ten with South Eastern and the 28 Southern ones (plus one odd one) but a potentially slightly cheaper model option for some.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

There's definitely at least one 'red' ex-GatEx set in use on Great Northern services

I would love Love LOVE the Electrostar in OO! 

As for the red 3872xx’s there’s been quite a lot of action. Currently there are eight red 387s on the GN. 

The re-building of Gatwick Airport saw limited capacity on the BML. This lead to a number of 3872xx being surplus to requirement, at a similar time, GN withdrew it’s 365s and Hitachi went crack…so…

387201-206 were initially taken up to Hornsey for GN, yet as soon as this happened…we had McVitties making a mess on the GWR. 201-206 were subsequently transferred to GWR, along with 301, 302 & 306 from C2C. 

GN still had a need under the covid timetable, to cover for the loss of the 365s and thus 207, 208 & 209 were taken up to GN and re-branded with GN stickers and a wording of ‘GN operated by Gatwick Express’. Only these three had this hybrid brand...well 201 does too...but more on that later (technically there are 'only three').

Biscuit sales on the GWR didn’t last long and by the end of 2021 the six Gatwick Express 387s were back on the GN, all be it in total debranded state…

The ex-C2C 387/3s are now to transfer to GN (most in service with a couple stored), allowing for 201-209 to move back to Southern for a uptick with BML services in early 2023 (subject to Gatwick project timing). 209 has already gone back to Southern with the rest expected to follow as required, but 201 is staying with GN for a long term loan - hence the 'operated by GatEx', to cover for the loss of 387/1s during the ‘Project Aurora’.  

Fun does not stop there, before covid there was a clear cascade plan between the 455s>379s>387s but this is all now in tatters. One thing for sure, we shall see more liveries and brands on the 387s (and the 379s for that matter). And yes the maths doesn't fully add up above, welcome to the MDR! 

God what a perfect unit to choose to model! 

Edited by 159220
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Alas I don't have a photo unfortunately but when the 377/5's were delivered, they were in plain unbranded FCC blue (or was it dark purple?) and Southern Selhurst did the testing and commissioning.

Mid evening, one 377/5 was hooked up to a native 377/2 and they went on a tour of the Arun Valley, reversing at Barnham at about eleven in the evening.

So another variation for the Coastway...

Oh, and GatEx red 387's have been to Southampton on a couple of occasions as well, much to the consternation of Network Rail Wessex Area Control which sent them rapidly flicking through Sectional Appendices trying to work out if they were actually allowed down there!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/09/2022 at 07:14, Stu from EGDL said:

Hi Gang;

This is a great announcement and it is good to see that Revolution are planning to do the two specific types of bodyside glazing. The end lighting also varies between many of the types only really standardising on the later 377/379/387 variants.

I don't envy the guys creating the tooling designs! From my studies, there's also variation on the roof tops as well, aside from the early ones having had the NRN pods over the cabs, others have blobs and shark fins, also some have a series of roof vents on one or both sides, shoulder grilles just above the window on one side (different designs too!), plus minor differences to the separate aircon grille parts. Moving forward in time, many have Wifi equipment fitted on the roof now too on certain vehicles. Then there's also the lower light on the secondman's side front fairing that's being retrofitted to many, plus possibly quite a lot of underframe variation that's less visible until one gets right down there, especially with the dual-voltage ones having the full range of kit compared to the third-rail versions having gaps there. 

What once started out as a fairly similar design over many years of production and service has now become a huge range of variations...all sounds like a nightmare to tool up but should be well worth it once done!

A general question, since the hobby is going that way, could we ever see the unit's trademark scrolling dot matrix screens in miniature..? 😋

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/09/2022 at 08:12, John M Upton said:

Yes, the C2C 387/3's are now with Great Northern.  I believe that all the GatEx 387/2's that were on loan all over the place are all back home now as well.

387208 is being overhauled at Hornsey at the moment and will be the last to head back. 387201 will be remaining with GN though to supplement the 387/3s when they enter service.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, James Makin said:

I don't envy the guys creating the tooling designs! From my studies, there's also variation on the roof tops as well, aside from the early ones having had the NRN pods over the cabs, others have blobs and shark fins, also some have a series of roof vents on one or both sides, shoulder grilles just above the window on one side (different designs too!), plus minor differences to the separate aircon grille parts. Moving forward in time, many have Wifi equipment fitted on the roof now too on certain vehicles. Then there's also the lower light on the secondman's side front fairing that's being retrofitted to many, plus possibly quite a lot of underframe variation that's less visible until one gets right down there, especially with the dual-voltage ones having the full range of kit compared to the third-rail versions having gaps there. 

What once started out as a fairly similar design over many years of production and service has now become a huge range of variations...all sounds like a nightmare to tool up but should be well worth it once done!

A general question, since the hobby is going that way, could we ever see the unit's trademark scrolling dot matrix screens in miniature..? 😋

Cheers,

James

This is very true James - for a unit that looks the same, they are far from it! We spent a whole day looking at the real thing and we're now gathering other useful research material in order to produce the best model possible. 👍

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I would like to see this in OO as well. I could well see myself going bankrupt also, because I'm currently considering modelling a station that looks a bit like Beckenham Junction, so I'd need at least five of them (4 southeastern, 1 southern) along with quite a few Networkers (which nobody has chosen to build yet). The future has suddenly become interesting.

• RMweb Premium

If there was a 375/3 or 377/3 made (ie the 3 coach) then I'd happily lap one up & provoke me into a modern era station layout I've always wanted to build! 

May even be tempted to get on in OO gauge instead if that was made!

Edited by Weeny Works

• 2 weeks later...

Exciting news - I noticed it in this month's Hornby magazine and wondered why there hadn't been more fanfare about it. I'd love to see it migrate to OO gauge, despite having just spent months cutting and shutting Bachmann Turbostars! 😂

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, tjf4375 said:

Exciting news - I noticed it in this month's Hornby magazine and wondered why there hadn't been more fanfare about it. I'd love to see it migrate to OO gauge, despite having just spent months cutting and shutting Bachmann Turbostars! 😂

I am quite pleased that there has not been a huge fanfare. N gauge modellers understand this is in the very early stages so generating 20 pages of suggestions, questions, and “Please do it in 00” posts would serve little purpose at the moment. It does not even have its own topic on the N Gauge Forum. Besides many N-gaugers have had the chance to speak directly with the Revolution people at shows (TINGS and GETS) so they have asked questions and made suggestions directly.

Edited by Mike Harvey
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Mike Harvey said:

I am quite pleased that there has not been a huge fanfare. N gauge modellers understand this is in the very early stages so generating 20 pages of suggestions, questions, and “Please do it in 00” posts would serve little purpose at the moment. It does not even have its own topic on the N Gauge Forum. Besides many N-gaugers have had the chance to speak directly with the Revolution people at shows (TINGS and GETS) so they have asked questions and made suggestions directly.

Good point Mike. It's very early days, and as you say, they most likely dipped a toe in the water a long time ago, and got a good sense of the level of interest. I am guessing that the price point is a barrier for developing a oo gauge version - that has to be around £500-600, and likely very market-limiting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

These are my favourites of the series. Usually I stick to Japanese N gauge but I might well fall for these, I'm sure running them along with various flavours of Japanese trains wouldn't look too crazy.

Vic 5.jpg

Vic 6.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a retired Train Service / Duty Control Manager for Southern once the 5 cars got introduced it was fun if service disruption got a 3, 4 and 5 car attached to each other to make a 12 car formation. Even more fun trying to get them split up and restored to their booked workings.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Like the time when London Victoria made an error and sent the stock for the 2132 to Epsom Downs out on the 2132 to Portsmouth instead which resulted in a five car shuttling between Portsmouth and Havant on the wrong side of an engineers block all Easter weekend!

Most of its passengers over the weekend were enthusiasts getting in some "rare" traction!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 29/10/2022 at 04:43, John M Upton said:

Most of its passengers over the weekend were enthusiasts getting in some "rare" traction!

Corr, that really is a dedicated 'enthusiast' to consider a subtly different sub-class of Electrostar as worthy of a journey! That said I noticed that we had a pantograph fitted /2 on the Arun Valley last week, which I've not consciously seen often!

Really looking forward to seeing which of the class we get; JJB's photo shows nicely the marked differences in the lighting arrangements on the /3 and /6 sub classes as built.

• RMweb Premium

There was a three car 377 (377303) running today between Brighton and Portsmouth vice a broken 313.

At least four times it was photographed whilst I was driving it this afternoon!

• Like 2