Electrostar in N

wombatofludham

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Baffled by the deafening silence on this announcement

Same, I was waiting for a big official RMWeb thread to appear with all the pics and details before starting my own thread upon seeing this exciting news on FB! 🎉

It should be a great seller and fills a large gap across the entire South East and the surrounding areas with all the variants announced. 

I’d echo calls for a 4mm version, if the amount of my old resin conversion kits that have sold over the years is anything to go by then they’d make an absolute killing!

Cheers,

James

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, James Makin said:

I was waiting for a big official RMWeb thread to appear with all the pics and details

I would have if I'd had the info in time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Glad to see that an RTR Electrostar will appear at last!

This is pure speculation, but given that they have worked with Revolution in the past, I wonder if we might see a similar OO announcement from Accurascale in the near future... Fingers crossed!

Ed

Edited by South-East Rail
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Okay, better get back to working out how to do N scale third rail..

I used T gauge rail, for the LT third and fourth rails, soldered to track pins.

Edited by acg5324
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent news, too modern for me but I’ll certainly get one having “played” with them for years in the SR Control. A 377/2 DV unit would be good as they ran all over the Southern area and of course the WLL and WCML.

• Like 1

Excellent news!

While it doesn’t fit any of my modelling projects, I’ll have to get one in Southern and maybe also FCC - having suffered the real things on an almost daily basis for so long!

I wonder if it’s worth modelling them with the hopper windows open, for the signature Derby unit broken / ineffectual air con effect? ;) And no need for interior lighting, as the real thing is so dingy as to be barely perceptible …

More seriously, I imagine Southern livery will be most popular, but perhaps worth going for the subclass with pantographs, for WCML and West London Line operation? 

I know the announcement page says liveries still to be confirmed, but I’m surprised Heathrow Express is being mooted - limited sphere of operation in the extreme! (or intended to appeal to aviation collectors?)

Earlier version of South Eastern (white/yellow/grey) might be worth including though?

• RMweb Premium

You could also get away with what the bus industry calls 'Dealer Stock White' too:

Connex Class 375/6 'Electrostar' 375603 Brighton 19/4/00

EDIT - Just recalled that the earlier ones had NRN pods and mounting plates on the roof over the cabs, you can just see it here.  They, where fitted were subsequently removed but the scars on the roof can still be seen.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2

I have to say this news has given me the idea for a third layout, after this winter's project of the multi-purpose LMS and Irish terminus to fiddle yard.  My planning for that layout would have seen passive provision for a "plank to plank" underneath, which was going to be 009, but the availability of the Thameslink blue 319, Virgin Voyagers, SWT Dessies and 170s and now,  hopefully, the Southern Electrostar in N is making me think about a fictional airport terminus, similar to Manchester Airport, serving an airport "somewhere on the south coast".  Easy availability of suitable scale airliner kits will allow suitable 2006 period aircraft to be included.

Possibly the first time an announcement of a new product has changed my plans and focus!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I have to say this news has given me the idea for a third layout

With the 313 and the Farish 450 also on the cards, I'm thinking something along the lines of Havant. 

Tom. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, TomE said:

With the 313 and the Farish 450 also on the cards, I'm thinking something along the lines of Havant.

Go west a bit to the Farlington triangle, then you can add the new Farish 158 too....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So many variants to go at I'm going to avoid getting my hopes up for now!

I'd love a Southern one or 3! A /1, /2, /4 or /7 would do for me though, so I'm not fussy! The latter could feasibly make it beyond MK on the WCML, otherwise I'll just have to have a ROG drag, or build a Southern layout!

• Like 2