The future of Model railway Exhibitions

Chamby

9 hours ago, Chris M said:

The question of taking a layout to a show organised by a business and giving your time for free so the business can make a profit is a difficult one. I think the organisers of magazine run shows would say that they give up a large amount of personal unpaid time to make the shows happen so its not all just for profit. I have exhibited at the Hornby Magazine show twice and will very happily exhibit there again if asked because it is a lovely show and the organisers are genuinely interested in putting on a great show.

In fairness as well, some of the magazine-run shows started out as club shows and continue to have some club involvement but now with the magazine as a sponsor (I think if I’ve understood correctly this is roughly how BRM Ally Pally works). Besides which, for some club shows you could make an argument that you’re giving up your time for free to support a club which you don’t particularly benefit from and wouldn’t want to join (if it’s not local to you or even if conventional clubs just aren’t your thing). However, in both cases you’re actually giving up your time to support the hobby of model railways as a whole, and the promotion of it to others, which surely is a good thing?

In a totally different context, I used to volunteer at a small heritage visitor attraction in a historic building (not railway related). The organisation was not a recognised museum as such and one of the reasons they had started to open regularly as a heritage attraction was to gain extra income as the pandemic had reduced the money they were making from events and venue hire. So I suppose in one sense you might say I was working for free to make money for ‘a business’. On the other hand they are a non-profit and have as their main aim the preservation of the historic building itself, and crucially I appreciated the work experience I was getting out of it and always felt well looked after as a volunteer (clear communication from management, free tea when on site etc.). There is of course a balance and a point in most situations where most people would decide they didn’t want to volunteer any more, but it’s not always completely clear cut and the same applies to giving up time to exhibit at model railway exhibitions.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

In a totally different context, I used to volunteer at a small heritage visitor attraction in a historic building (not railway related). The organisation was not a recognised museum as such and one of the reasons they had started to open regularly as a heritage attraction was to gain extra income as the pandemic had reduced the money they were making from events and venue hire.

I fear very much for the future of shows and have to adapt to the changing outside pressures or possibly cease to be, the above quote makes the point very well that I was trying to allude too in another thread, that shows have to adapt to the changing times if they are going to survive. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Northmoor said:

What is notable in the calendar is the absence of the Woking exhibition, which I would describe as falling into neither of my categories.  I believe that attendances were falling over previous years - 2019 was notably quiet on the Sunday - but the REC members do not feel able to put in on again in future (effects of an ageing membership, etc.).  I think, but happy to be corrected, that the sports centre rental for a weekend was also becoming unaffordable. 

I'm a member of the REC, I worked closely with the exhibition team, being chief steward and exhibition guide editor for the Woking show for the 2-3 years prior to the pandemic hitting. The main reason for no longer holding the show, is, as you say, the ageing membership of the club. To put it into perspective, at 44, I am one of the youngest members of the club. I think there are maybe 1 or 2 other members who are younger. But the vast majority are, in the kindest way possible, a few years into retirement. We were, in 2019, struggling to get enough able members together to steward the exhibition, and we managed too, just about.

As regards, sports centre rental costs, etc, I can't comment specifically, but everything was starting to increase. Even pre-pandemic, the accommodation costs for operating teams were starting to become an ever larger part of the exhibition budget, and were we to have held one this year, I dread to think what the cost would have been. Whilst I think most club exhibitions are held with the intent to advertise the club to the wider public, operating at a loss can only happen for so long.

As we've already seen this year, with the Wigan show, I think more and more club's are going to struggle to put on exhibitions in the same way as the REC.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, Andymsa said:

I fear very much for the future of shows and have to adapt to the changing outside pressures or possibly cease to be, the above quote makes the point very well that I was trying to allude too in another thread, that shows have to adapt to the changing times if they are going to survive. 

Thank you. I suppose in some ways it does support that point, although I mentioned the volunteering I’d done, and the reason why the site in question had started to open more regularly as a heritage attraction, more to illustrate the wider importance of looking after unpaid volunteers and treating them well in a variety contexts, including but not limited to model railways.

Thought I might chip in.

Down here in Dorset my club is intending to run our two exhibitions and an open day.

However like so many we are having to look carefully at all the logistics particularly

the age of members. Personally I'm now 80 and have given up taking my large layout

anywhere. One, I find erecting and dressing a 12 board layout too much and there are

no newer, younger members  to help. Two my age, I can no longer hire a van, understandably

insurers don't want to take risks. To hire a van and driver becomes too expensive for either

an organising club, or my own pocket.

I did Railex Portsmouth last May with my 'Thomas' layout only because my friend lives near

there and provided accommodation so it was as much a visit to friends. I asked just £10

because it's my hobby. However I will now only do exhibitions that don't require overnight

stays and take just my small 'Visitors Drive' shunting layouts.

Geoff T

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/12/2022 at 17:13, Dad-1 said:

Thought I might chip in.

Down here in Dorset my club is intending to run our two exhibitions and an open day.

However like so many we are having to look carefully at all the logistics particularly

the age of members. Personally I'm now 80 and have given up taking my large layout

anywhere. One, I find erecting and dressing a 12 board layout too much and there are

no newer, younger members  to help. Two my age, I can no longer hire a van, understandably

insurers don't want to take risks. To hire a van and driver becomes too expensive for either

an organising club, or my own pocket.

I did Railex Portsmouth last May with my 'Thomas' layout only because my friend lives near

there and provided accommodation so it was as much a visit to friends. I asked just £10

because it's my hobby. However I will now only do exhibitions that don't require overnight

stays and take just my small 'Visitors Drive' shunting layouts.

Geoff T

The age of members is afflicting societies across the whole spectrum of hobbies and activities needing volunteer input. A three pronged attack:-

1) existing members ageing and not renewing/not being able to renew (Smaller pool to attract active participants.

2) less interest generally in joining to be active in a club/interest activity (The consumer generation) 

3) due to (1) those that are interested and considerably younger see the white haired wall so are put off by the age gap.

At least with the recent broadcaster interest in trains and celebrities owning up to liking trains/model railways or hobby is not getting as much bad press as it did a decade or two back.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, john new said:
On 13/12/2022 at 17:13, Dad-1 said:

The age of members is afflicting societies across the whole spectrum of hobbies and activities needing volunteer input.

Not restricted to our hobby..I'm a member of a sports club where younger members expect the events to happen but won't participate if it means they have to do a shift helping run the event....very sad...

ChrisH

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Not restricted to our hobby..I'm a member of a sports club where younger members expect the events to happen but won't participate if it means they have to do a shift helping run the event....very sad...

ChrisH

i've read that the Scouts have a massive waiting list due to lack of adult volunteers. The local youth theatre and dance schools around here my wife and I have been involved with since our now adult children were in is the same  Most helpers that still do volunteer are parents of ex-members not the parents of the current members.

Edited by john new
Typo correction
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1